London with a baby

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 08:49 AM
KC

London with a baby

Need help from veteran parent travellers! In a couple of weeks my husband and I are going to London with our 6-week old baby. She is breastfed (no bottles to fool with) and very easy-going- not a screamer, no colic, etc. Would love some advice on how to pace our sightseeing and general survival. Will she need a carseat on the tube? Are there sights that prohibit strollers? Are there items I will have trouble finding (like diapers)? Any advice appreciated!

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 05:49 PM
JoAnn

Hi. We went to London this June with our 2 kids. Our youngest was 19 months. We dragged our stroller everywhere. Museums are fine with a baby as young as yours. She will probably sleep through most of it. I wouldn't recommend going to the tower of London with a stroller. We tried it and almost died trying to take it up the winding, narrow, circular staircases.Try a carrier instead. You won't need a car seat on the tube, but bring a stroller that you can fold easily. There are some stations that have escalators, and they seem to be at an almost 90 degree angle..no fun when you're trying to balance a baby in it! The supermarkets are great. They carry everything you'll need. We shopped at Sainsbury's. Wish there was one where we live. As far as sightseeing, we made a list of the things we wanted to see and do. We didn't plan what day we'd do it..we played it by ear based on weather and our ability to get through jet lag. We found this way we got to do the things we wanted without pressure of needing to be somewhere at a certain time. I must tell you, I've seen some negative things written on this board regarding travel with kids...especially one's as young as our's..but my husband and I knew when we started our family that we couldn't depend on our parents for down time, we both lost our parents when we were young. We made a decision that we wanted to share our life with our children..not sacrifice our life for them. We may have had a more hectic vacation with the kids then we would have without them, but we have memories as a family that no amount of money could buy. We feel proud that we are raising children that know that life doesn't stop at the end of their block.
Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any specific questions. Have a great trip.

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 06:17 PM
Charlie

Please post the flights you are taking and the hotel you are staying in so that you can spare the rest of us a miserable vacation. London (or anyplace) is no where to take a 6 wk old baby -- and there is no such thing as a no screamer, ALL babies fuss and scream which is a lot less of a problem if it is done in the privacy of your own home, not at 35,000 ft. or in Westminster Abbey, orin a hotel room with thin walls.

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 06:17 PM
Charlie

Please post the flights you are taking and the hotel you are staying in so that you can spare the rest of us a miserable vacation. London (or anyplace) is no where to take a 6 wk old baby -- and there is no such thing as a no screamer, ALL babies fuss and scream which is a lot less of a problem if it is done in the privacy of your own home, not at 35,000 ft. or in Westminster Abbey, or in a hotel room with thin walls.

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 03:50 AM
stayhome

I don't hate kids and don't think they should be locked in a closet. But WHY would you want to take a 6 WEEK OLD baby on such a long trip. And before any of you self rightous parents out there get upset (esp. AJ) please explain to me exactly what lessons you can teach a 6 week old baby (cultural, behavioral etc..). If you and your husband must travel take day trips (or longer) in your car where you can set the pace of travel, stops ets... Go to London and all over Europe when your child (or children) are 8 or 10 and you've had a few years to teach them how to behave in public (believe it or not there are many interesting things to see and do right here in the US). Please note I did not say stick 'em in a closet or not to take them in public only that you should teach them how to behave in their early years and then begin Euro. travel. By 8 or 10 when you go to Europe the kid(s) will be able to appreciate it and get something out of it.

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 05:13 AM
ilisa

Excuse me, but KC asked for advice on taking her child to Europe from veteran parent travellers. She did not ask for commentary from sniveling, whining, self-righteous idiots. The reasons she is taking her baby are no one's business. Unfortunately, I can't help with her situation. So, how about some HELPFUL advice, people?

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 06:01 AM
Grandma

Excuse me, but she is getting good advise -- leave the traveling till the child is older -- you can have wonderful family memories when the child is old enough to walk & talk and know what he/she is looking at. I do not hate children, nor do I expect "stay home" or Charlie do, but we are aware of the horrors a traveling infant can inflict on other travelors - to say nothing for the people who live and work in London. Would you like to be going to work on the Underground while some tourist who feels their 6 week old must experience a foreign city is smacking you in the ankles with a stroller .. no way! Would you like to be a maid in a hotel and find soiled diapers amongst the trash? I think not.
Would you want to be visiting the Tower of London and have your once in a lifetime visit marred by a baby crying or fussing (or again, having that stroller all over the place). Babies do fuss and cry, that's a given.

Give the poor child time to grow up and the time to be an infant in the comforts of home - for that matter a toddler is not the age to tour Europe either. Wait till they know where they are at least.

No everyone finds babies adorable, espiecally if you are in trapped on a plane with a crying infant or trying to get to work and held back by a stoller. People RUSH in the Underground/ I've traveled to Europe many times and trust me, most Europeans do not take infants out traveling. Actually you do not see that many small children (European) out and about in restuarants, etc. perhaps parents in Europe are more resonsible and caring of their fellow man!

There will be plenty of time to teach your child socialization/travel skills, starting out with smaller trips, perhaps to a zoo, the beach, etc. You work your way up so to speak. It's like starting out in McDonald's and working your way to a 5 star dining establishment. Incidentally, I never noticed much in the way of eating places that would accommodate a baby either.

You may want to re-think your trip.

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 07:24 AM
dk

I guess I will never understand why people can't see that the locals in London and other places also take there children out with them in public. Do you really think KC's and other tourists' strollers are the only ones you will encounter? Get real. It's just plain idiotic to say that someone who loves foreign travel should go 8-10 years not doing it. I couldn't have done this with our child when she was that age because she cried a lot in the hours before bedtime. Still, by three weeks she slept all night every night for months. Maybe their child does sleep a lot. All are different.

Anyway KC, I would consider hitting the museums and other quieter places when she is sleeping, realizing that one or both of you may need to go outside if she starts crying. I think staying outside a lot for site-seeing would be great, but with a child this age and the weather in London, this is probably not an option. One of my biggest concerns would be the weather in fact, so make sure to wrap her well. Wish I could give you more advise, but we haven't travelled with our baby yet.

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 11:32 AM
kc

JoAnn and dk - thanks for your help. I think the advice about taking each day as it comes rather than trying to follow a strict itinerary will help. Also glad to know not to bother with the stroller at the Tower of London. We will be bringing a baby sling, so we can use that instead. DK, I'm with you all the way on the game plan for crying - we usually alternate who takes the baby out when she gets fussy. And Ilisa - don't worry about the idiots. I sure don't. I knew when I posted this I'd get some naysayers. But I'd say there are enough gracious folks on this board to make it worth a post. I'll let you know how our trip goes!

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 11:35 AM
ilisa

KC, I didn't think about this before, but make sure the baby has a bottle or something to suck on during takeoff and landing to minimize the pressure on the ears. Also, ask your pediatrician about Children's Benadryl - it's also wonderful for the ears.

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 12:00 PM
anna

She said the kid was breastfed, so I guess there will be something for it to suck on during takeoffs and landings. Be aware that babies adjust poorly to major time changes, so be prepared for sleepless nights at least the first two. I would not recommend benadryl for a six-week-old, and be aware that at any age, children can have what we call a pradoxical reaction to antihistamines, turning them into raving lunatics for 4-6 hours rather than the zombie you were hoping for as you got on the plane for the 7-hour flight.

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 03:05 PM
MaryE

This may be a stupid question, but have you considered that health-wise a 6 wk old baby should probably not be traveling? What does your dr. say. I am not implying that London is germ infested by any means, but a small child is certainly susceptible. This child is a little young to have built up any resistance.

As for someone saying that Londoners, etc. must take their babies outdoors, etc. yes, they do ... but not often into hotels, out to dine, to the theater, etc. I think there is just more respect for others and it is not as widely done as in the U.S. As some one else said I do not think you will find as much in the way of "child friendly" places to eat in Europe as in the U.S. Tables are much closer together too and that fact alone may not endear you to your fellow diner, particularly if the child starts fussing. No everyone enjoys dinner out with someone elses baby, I know we don't and we are not children haters.

Do I suggest you stay home forever .. no, but I would not go with a 6 wk old baby. Perhaps a trip via car in your home area where you have things more under control would be a wiser decision at this time. If you still want to go to Europe when the baby is a bit older, go by yourselves,but don't take the child until it is old enough to realize what the trip is about. How many of us have any memories of our days in a stroller or crib? How many even remember when they were two or three? I'm sure not many.

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 04:49 PM
ilisa

Well Anna, that's why I suggested that KC check with her pediatrician about children's benadryl.

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 05:52 PM
stayhome

So let me get this right, because people think you should not go to London with a 6 week old child, and express this opinion, they are idiots. No where in my message or any of the others that suggested you not take this trip now were you called any derogatory names (typically when someone has a weak argument or reasoning they quikly jump to calling those who disagree with them names). But no one including KC has answered the question as to what the child will get out of this trip (other than it's sleep patterns disruted, potential ear aches from the pressurization of the airplane cabin etc). And yes there are times when parents should put their personal desires aside for what is best for their child, some my even say that to take a 6 week old child to London to go sight seeing is selfish. I know nothing written on this board will change KC's mind and they will go on this trip come hell or high water so I hope your child remains healthy throuout the trip and is able to sleep. Oh yeah, when you child is 15 or so, ask them what they remember from their wonderful trip to London at age 6 weeks, I'm sure they will have great memories and be able to entertain the family with their favorite parts of the trip.

Old Oct 4th, 1999, 02:17 AM
Jo

I have lived in London for more than 2 years now. I agree with one or two points. Six weeks is extremely young to take your child away. I suggest that you do not stay in a hotel. Try for self catering accommodation. That way you can eat in more, and also not disturb the people in the room next door. Maybe stay slightly out of London - Chiswick is only half an hour into central London by tube, and has much cleaner, fresher air and a less crowded, rushed atmosphere.
London can be very non-child friendly, and the best restaurants are out of bounds to babies. In self catering accom you can stock up at the supermarket and won't have to survive on greasy fish and chips . The tube is very non child friendly. No car seat is required - sometimes you'll be lucky to get a seat. Do not travel at peak time. When possible leave the stroller behind. Take a front loading baby carrier pack. Thats what most Londoners do. Some stations have steep stairs, and lots of people that are more than happy to push you out of the way if you're making them late for work. Don't stand at the bottom/top of stairways, or in entrance ways. You will be pushed. If you cannot get a seat at peak time don't expect anyone to offer you theirs (despite the signs). They will resent anyone that travels at peak time that doesn't "need" to. Pregnant women and disabled/injured people will get much more consideration. Consider travelling by bus. Buses are child and elderly friendly, as well as being a great way to see London. Try to be considerate to other travellers, and especially London commuters. If you do travel at peak time, do not be shocked at the lack of courtesy with which you will get treated.
Sorry if I seem negative, but I have seen young babies, on packed, hot, smelly tubes - crying, screaming, and in big discomfort.

Old Oct 4th, 1999, 03:19 AM
francesca

Do aviod the tube. Buses are good and taxis are great--you just roll the stroller in! No need to take baby out and fold it up as London taxis are a room on wheels. Avoid rush hour though-London has the world's worst traffic. You might find some nice pubs with outdoor seating (we did) to enjoy English beer without the smoke. And London has lots of beautiful parks, perfect for walking a baby. Make sure you leave the room/museum etc whenever baby makes a fuss to spare other visitors and avoid taking baby to the theatre...and I'm sure you will have a great trip.

Old Oct 4th, 1999, 04:28 AM
wombat

Check with the pediatrician...I can't believe he/she would encourage this trip. Six weeks is still virtually a newborn. Is this in the best interest of the baby?

Old Oct 4th, 1999, 04:38 AM
KC

Jo and francesca - Excellent suggestions. Thank you.

Old Oct 4th, 1999, 05:13 AM
Kimberley

It seems that a lot of people are "raising the point" that the baby will not be getting much out of this trip. C'mon guys! Do any of you actually think you're shedding new light on this with that point? I doubt any parent of an infant expects the child to be truly appreciating the foreign experience. The issue here is how the parents can accomplish international travel while travelling with their baby. I am the first to agree that parents should not allow their babies to inconvenience others unnecessarily (like in movie theatres, for example), but I can't beleive how many of you think that babies cause the only mess or disturbance. Of course the maid would rather not find dirty diapers in the trash, but I'm sure she'd also rather not find sanitary napkins, used condoms (not to mention sheets with wet spots), or soiled tissues. Should we bar menstruating women or sexually active couples from Europe too? What about the fact that my "once in a lifetime" visit to the Tower of London was marred by the couple behind me who were bickering and fighting with each other the whole time? Parents need to be considerate of others when their kids cross the line, but we all have a responsibility to realize that we share our planet with people of different ages, races, cultures, sexes, and religions - let's at least try to get along, can't we? KK

Old Oct 4th, 1999, 05:54 AM
AJ

KC, I have been a strong advocate of traveling with children and have apparently earned myself a reputation. My youngest child is now 8 years. I no longer have a problem, because my three boys behave better in public than most adults. They are certainly better educated and socially adept than many of the posters on this thread who would opt for baby ghettoes. The fact that I attribute my children's poise to early and extensive contact with the world at large (yes, even those germs that some people fear will hurt your 6 month old), seems to be lost on the naysayers.

KC. This is a battle that you will never win by arguing. But you can win the war giving your child the broadest possible up-bringing, regardless of the criticism. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -