A Great Fodors.com Story

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Marty

A Great Fodors.com Story

For those of you who think there are some real snipers on this board and feel discouraged by their lack of help and their desire to tell you that you are foolish for even asking about some things, here is a story to restore your faith in fellow travellers. Though I have been to Venice twice in the past 7 months, I somehow had missed picking up a tie with very tiny gondolas on it that I wanted so much for my husband. I posted a "would you be willing to go out of your way" kind of message on this board. Sure enough, I got several replies from people who were headed to Venice and happy to pick up the tie for me. I did not even have good directions as to where the store could be located. Well, I have my tie in hand, thanks to a very kind Fodorite. As a bonus, she bought the tie and mailed it, before I ever sent her a penny! Most people, worldwide, are good. It is true.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 02:13 PM
elaine

you know, I was wondering about that gondola tie, I even did a search on the net to see if I could find a source, but I couldn't.
so glad to hear someone came through for you.
Can you share the name/location of where it was purchased?

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Maira

Very nice story. Very classy of you to share. Thank you.

On a similar note, the People magazine has a feature section where they ask a different "star" every week which is their favorite website. On this week's issue the British actor Tim Curry ('The Rocky Horror Picture Show', 'Charlie's Angels') named FODORS as his favorite website. According to the (small) article, whenever he goes on location, he logs into this site and finds out what to do, sights, etc... Cool.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 03:29 PM
Marty

The time came from Fabris. I know there is one right off San Marcos. The other is somewhere on the walk from San Marcos to the Rialto. They are a fabric/linen/ties kind of store. The one I went in had a blue awning that said Fabris. I did not give my shopper an address, and she found it (I hope without looking much).

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 03:38 PM
nancy

Marty,
I remember your request, and it's funny, but the other day I thought about you and wondered whether you received the tie.
did your husband like it?
sweet of that traveler to do this !

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 03:24 PM
Marty

Nancy: Thanks for the thought! I am giving him the tie for Valentine's Day. Won't he be surprised? I cannot wait to tell him the story of how I got it. Venice is his favorite place in the world; that's why we keep going there so often, but we probably won't be back until 2002, so I was thrilled to get the tie.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 03:48 PM
SharonM

What a wonderful story Marty!
I remember that thread too!!! (I was root'n for ya.) Like Elaine, I was starting to get curious about the outcome...
So glad you got your tie. What a sweet gift to your honey. (aren't those the best!)

Now. Maira.
Tim Curry loves this site too???
Well,
Tim?
Fess up! how do you psuedo? (I'm a big fan!) Nice to know we really ARE all crazy! (poor newly-adicted Tommy isn't your son, is he?)

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 03:56 PM
SharonM

Oh yea. (got carried away about Mr. Curry...)

First time I was ever in Venice, I bought this awesome cameo. It was the first one out of millions I checked out and the one I ended up buying... It was of "lady fortune" - a perfect cameo of a woman w/ a scarf tied around her eyes.
ANYWAY. My apt. got broken into sev. years ago and they took my camera, my cameo, and all my really great albums! (guess they had taste, damnit!)
So. My point being, that when you made your request I got to thinking about cameo-scoping.
Maybe I just need to go back and find it myself(!)

Happy Valentines Day to you both!
(we need to hear the story of the buyer, now!)

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 04:17 PM
ldsant

I've had a rough travel week - this story reinforces my belief that people are inherently good. Thanks for sharing- nice way to end the day! Hope your husband loves the tie. BTW - what a nice person who got you the tie! You should email them this link - will probably let them know how a small gesture made such an impression on many of us on the board.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 07:38 PM
xxx

Like I'd tell you what my usual pseudonym is, Sharon...

xoxo

Tim

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 08:50 PM
wouldlikea

Hey Marty, tell us who your angel was cause I saw this great painting at the uffuzi and was wondering.....

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 03:15 AM
Scorch

Nice story, Marty, and thanks for letting us know. This site can discourage me sometimes with the sniping. So where are the other people with stories?

As for Tim Curry fans, I suspect he meant the main Fodors site not this forum.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 04:51 AM
Lori

No, i read the same story about Tim Curry. He said that he logs on to the forum, and researched his entire trip to Romania here. Now that's cool.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 05:30 AM
nancy

Marty,
Great idea to give on V-day!
But it must be sooo hard to keep this a secret!
(Good thing your husband doesn't cruise this site)
1dsant:
The person who purchased the tie, most likely was a Fodor poster.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 07:31 AM
michele

Tim Curry is a regular at the Hollywood Farmers' Market on Sunday mornings.When I see him, I'll ask him about Fodors. (He also participates and supports many of our neighborhood events and institutions, like the library).

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 10:08 AM
curious

So,
Am I the only one who did a search of Romania on this site, to see if I could figure out Mr. Curry's pseudonym?

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 10:59 AM
Marty

Nancy: The person who bought the tie was definitely a Fodor's poster. I asked the question on this board. I'm sorry I don't know who Tim Curry is; he is causing a lot of excitement!

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 11:18 AM
AC

Hi;
Tim Curry, You are the best--love everything I ever seen you do. Yes even Rocky Horror.
(He was Dr. Frank N Furter)
Especially enjoyed Hunt for Red October. Thanks for everything!!

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 03:25 PM
nancy

Marty,
I remember your story and request.
I am very curious!
Does this kind person want to remain anon?
There are some very sweet people on this board, that is for sure!
Have a great V-day

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 04:05 PM
xxx

What makes you think I actually posted on the various Romania threads? I just read them.

Love,

Tim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -