Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A funny thing happened at the Uffizi Gallery yesterday when buying a ticket

Old Jun 10th, 2021, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On June 9th at about 8:45 AM I went to the ticket counter inside the museum. The layout is such that a ticket is bought inside a building on one side of the courtyard ( the space between the two sides of the U shaped building) .There was no one present but me. No one behind me at all. A man sitting behind a counter in an empty room selling tickets was the only other occupant in the room. I asked for one ticket and presented my credit card.

After a few moments I was handed my card and a paper that came from the credit card machine. The paper was the usual point of sale receipt. I thought it odd that this would also be a ticket but as I placed my credit card back in my wallet I was not offered any other piece of paper.

Let me be clear I was in no hurry nor was there a reason to be. The room had no signage indicating where to exit and I slowly made my way through other rooms. Twice I returned to the original ticket room because there was no signs indicating an exit.
At no time did I encounter another tourist.
Finally I exited the building and made my way across the courtyard to enter the museum. There are velvet ropes outside the door to the museum. By the ropes I encountered a man who asked me for my ticket.
I showed him the paper I was given. He immediately snapped : That is not a ticket! Where is your ticket. You have lost it?
Ah....I calmly said no and indicated I was not given one.
He and I returned to the "ticket seller man". The later emphatically stated in Italian: I gave him a ticket.
I said no you did not. So the second man said to me that he would call ahead and I would be allowed to enter.

Finally inside the museum, I approached the lady who takes the ticket who she said to me: oh your the man who lost his ticket.

After touring the museum I went back to the second man , the one who was outside the museum by the ropes. I told him I thought someone was running a scam. He denied any such thing.

At a small restaurant or mom n pop business I could accept something like this happening. There are so many things to worry about these days but I would not have expected this to happen at a place as prominent as the Uffizi Gallery. This was a good reminder to me to always be alert.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 12:02 PM

I'm unclear what the scam is/was. You paid, you got in (eventually)... I guess if the guy kept the ticket and then "sold" it to someone presenting cash...? If anything, it's a warning to ask if the 'ricevuta' is also the 'biglietto.'
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 01:03 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't get the scam part.

You paid, they let you in, no?
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 01:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm missing the scam part too.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 01:43 PM

I think I understand what happened - as Jean says the scam is that the ticket seller retains the ticket then "sells" it to the next person who wants to pay cash, which he pockets and probably splits with the person on the door. It only works where the first customer uses a credit card so s/he has the credit card receipt to use to prove purchase, and a subsequent one pays in cash so there is nothing to show up against the takings at the end of the day.

You cannot rely on places like the Uffizi not having scams going. When we went to Sicily a few years ago we were particularly on our guard but the only place where we met any cheating was at the Cathedral in Ortigia where the girl at the ticket booth gave change for a €10 note, not the €20 we'd given her. She was very apologetic but she she looked at the note as we gave it to her and clearly knew what it was. After that we always used the smallest note available but had no further problems.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 02:21 PM

Tickets are numbered and linked to the turnstiles/sensors by the exit doors. And the receipt is mandatory even when one pays in cash. In short: don't be silly, do you really think nobody else would notice always the same couple of workers having always the same problem? It's obvious you lost your ticket and this thread proves it that you are prone to missing.

we went to Sicily a few years ago we were particularly on our guard
And you were particularly on guard because Sicilians are notorious cheaters, weren't you?

and clearly knew what it was.
Clearly? CLEARLY?
Have you ever spent 8 hours a day 6 days a week giving change and selling paper tickets to a neverending line of people with the odd foreigner who can't speak Italian thrown in? At least she would have deserved the benefit of the doubt before being flagged as "guilty of being Sicilian" from somebody who brought his own preconception to the Island and finally found what he expected to found.
Now, please do not tell us that you love Sicily and that you enjoyed your journey and everybody was so kind and food and the views and blah blah blah... love without respect is for dogs, not for people.

Last edited by Falcio; Jun 11th, 2021 at 02:26 PM.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 02:41 PM

well... I dont know. It was years ago, somewhere in the Piedmont..a castle I think. My husband and I bought tickets, but when we got to the entrance realized we didn't have a piece of paper. Went back to the seller who denied ever seeing us ! ! It had only been about 5 minutes. Somehow we got the ticket but the seller and others made a point of saying... rather loudly.... that we were trying to get in for free. The details are dim now.... but it certainly left a bad taste about that venue.