Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A Free day in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-free-day-in-london-102614/)

Ron Jan 27th, 2001 07:28 PM

A Free day in London

I will be travelling to London on business in March and my first day (a Sunday) will be to myself. The rest of the week will be purely business. <BR> <BR>Any suggestions or what to do or see? I will be staying at the Tower Novotel on Pepys Street (it's relatively new) near the Tower Hill station. <BR> <BR>Also, upon arrival at Heathrow, my plan was to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station and then take a cab to my hotel. Is there a less expensive and/or quicker altenative from the airport or Paddington?? My flight gets in on a Saturday at about 10:00am and I will have been flying since 11:00 am the prior morning and the sooner I can get to my hotel, the better.... zzzzzz :) <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR> <BR>

Kimerley Jan 28th, 2001 02:48 AM

Ron, the Heathrow express is an excellent and cheap way of getting to Paddington. You can then either catch a taxi(if the company pays!) from the station to you hotel or catch the train on the Circle line to Tower Hill. I did not mind dragging my luggage at the stations. <BR>Close to where you are staying is the Tower of London, open Sunday 1000 to 1800, the Globe, St Pauls Cathedral(tube: St Pauls)closed on Sundays!but open Saturday 0830 to 1600. <BR>Museum of London (tube: Barbican)Sunday noon to 1800. Brick Lane Market (tube: Aldgate East)a real East end market open on a Sunday 0500 to 1400. <BR>There are heaps of places to see the above are close to where you will be staying, enjoy!

lisa Jan 28th, 2001 05:24 AM

hiya ron, <BR>i have been to london many times..i always take the train then a cab to the hotel(i would rather have my fingernails pulled out than hall my luggage on the tube!) <BR>the tower would be a great thing to see in your frre time.. you could also take a walk across tower bridge.. a lovely sight and the walk will help with jet lag. <BR>there is a pub called the liberty close by for a snack. <BR>have a nice trip.

Ron Jan 28th, 2001 08:03 AM

Thanks Kimberly and Lisa. BTW, are either of you familiar with the Novotel near the Tower? My corporate travel agent made the reservation and I had little say in the location. From what I've read about Novotels, they have little character and cater to the middle-of-the-road business traveller.

Tod Jan 29th, 2001 08:10 AM

The tube is a great way to travel. Isuggest going into Covent Garden area. The Tower of London is interesting but boring and can take all day to see it.

Mary Deane Jan 31st, 2001 02:23 PM

Ron,I have been to London many times and I don't recommend that you travel by tube. Yes they are fast and convenient but you get absolutely no sense of or feel for the city. With just one day free I think you should take one of the hop on, hop off tour buses. That way you get to see everything, the tour guide gives a highly informative and entertaining account of the sites you pass and of course you can visit any spot that really takes your fancy, getting back on the bus an hour or two later. There are a number of companies offering these trips...you will be able to get specific information about them in your hotel. They are not that expensive, around 12 for a 24 hour ticket.

kam Jan 31st, 2001 02:26 PM

I agree with Lisa. Take a cab from Paddington. If you like modern art, the new Tate Gallery is pretty much across the Thames from there. If not, there's not a lot going on in the city on Sunday--maybe wander a bit in Covent Gardens or have you been to the Tower?