Reload this Page >

A few words from Fowler

Search

A few words from Fowler

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 02:06 PM
wes fowler

A few words from Fowler

I hope you can cope with the following trope. <BR> <BR>READING(GB) this WURDING(D) WIL(CH) give a STICKLER(A) for detail a FITFUL HEAD(GB), BUT(I) THEREA(GR) no TYPPOs(S), I'm TELLIN(B) you. <BR> <BR>EYE(GB) just wanted to take the TIMETO(I) OFIR(P) my BEST(NL) wishes for the holiday season and also SOM(H) travel advice, for what it's WORTH(A) . <BR> <BR>Let me START BAY(GB) hoping it's of SOMME(F) interest and value, SUCHACZ(PL): <BR> <BR>KANYA(H) try to keep your FIGA(CS) TRIM(IRL) and THIN(F) so as not to SULLY(F) the reputation of us UGLIA(YU) 'mericans? <BR> <BR>Drive carefully, no ziggin' and ZAGAN(PL) through traffic. A RECKE(D) CANNES(F) lead to a PANG(D) and to COURT(CH). RECZ(PL) cause PANES(E) and PANICH). Take a TRANE(S) instead. <BR> <BR>If taking TOURS(F), remind the TROUP HEAD(GB) once a WEEKE(GB) that it's TIMETO(I) do THE WASH(GB). There should be washing machines and driers with ZLOTs(YU) to accept coins. <BR> <BR>If you find your travelling companion, DAD(H), Mom, daughter, SONNE(S) or STUDEN(CH) to be SUCHA(PL) pain, SONDERHOLM(DK) on the next plane, even if they have to travel STRANDBY(DK). It's no big DEAL(GM), and a HELLA(IS) va lot better than putting up with that ILK(H). <BR> <BR>I hope you never hear the SOUND OF SLEAT(GB) or encounter RAIN(D). <BR> <BR>I hope you PACK(A) light, your feet don't TIER(D) and you find a super STORE(N) with NICE(F) souvenirs on the CHEAPSIDE(GB). <BR>

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 02:20 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Wes, you are a genius--great stuff !

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 05:25 PM
Dr. Betty

Is there some hidden meaning here? Is this one of those word puzzles that's supposed to sharpen your thinking skills? Bob and Wes, you are both geniuses.<BR>Dr. Betty

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 05:58 PM
SharonM

Dr B. <BR> <BR>I'm such a coward. <BR> <BR>I was thinking the same thing, but since I caught onto a few things, thought I'd let it ride... <BR> <BR> <BR>hmmmm.... <BR> <BR>GB = Great British <BR>D= Deutch? <BR>CH- Chilean <BR>A= Aussie or A** <BR>I= Italian or Ireland <BR> <BR> <BR>it goes on, and I am, indeed, a bit confused by some (ie. PL would sound something completely diff. to me...) <BR> <BR>wow, wes. <BR> <BR>I'm just happy I understood the letter! <BR> <BR>back attya!

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 06:21 PM
Polly Glott is lost

I feel a little DOMME (Fr), but I wanna PISA (It) the action, too. Let MESSINA (It).... What can I say? CHANIA (Gr) explain it to me, maybe?

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 06:25 PM
Rex

Just as with bandwidth, I sense that you are serious about not knowing the codes for European countries - - can that be right? I ought to resist this smart-ass question, but - - you HAVE been to Europe, right? <BR> <BR>Wes is just speaking in the names of actual places, and yes, you are partly right. <BR> <BR>GB = Great Britain <BR>D = Deutschland (Germany) <BR>CH = Confederatio Helvetica (Switzerland - - you remember all thos Latin-speaking Swiss, don't you?) <BR>A = Austria (since not enough people would recognize "Ö" as in Österreich. <BR>S = Sverige (Sweden) <BR>I = Italia <BR>GR = Greece, though by the same logic above, it should be "epsilon lambda" - - as in Ellas <BR>P = Portugal <BR>NL = Nederlands <BR>H = Hungary, (not "M" for Magyar). <BR>F = France, which we spell the same way as they do! <BR>PL = Polska <BR>CS = I am going out on a limb here - - is this one a typo for CZ, the Czech Republic? or was "CS" = Czechoslovakia - - before the velvet revolution? <BR>IRL - Eire, the Republic of Ireland <BR>YU - who knows what this stands for now - - the country that Belgrade presides over - - Serbia and MonteNegro, or Jugoslavija, or whatever you want to call it. <BR>DK - Danmark <BR> <BR>And of course, he didn't use any places from: <BR> <BR>E - España <BR>FL - Fürstentum Liechtenstein <BR>MC - Monaco <BR>RSM - Repubblica San Marino <BR>N - Norge (Norway) <BR> <BR>I am leaving a few off this list intentionally, so someone can come along and be a bigger know-it-all than me... <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 06:37 PM
Polly Glott is annoyed

You're right, Rex: you should have resisted the urge to be patronizing. Why should we necessarily to know country codes, or bandwidth names, or acronyms for agencies and accounting principles, or e-mail jargon, or anything but real, full words and names? Anyway, the real challenge is coming up with the place names.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 06:42 PM
SharonM

oh guys!!! <BR> <BR>what a haute! <BR>ah, yes... bandwidth... <BR> <BR>As an informed nerd, yes, Rex. <BR>I WAS (just) "kinda" serious... <BR>(thanks for bailing me out. again.) <BR> <BR>Polly, as usual, you shame me! I seem to have a bad case of writer's cramp, or something... <BR>don't worry, i'll come up with some clever repartee(F?) <BR> <BR>soon... <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 06:55 PM
Polly Glatt again

Hate to be a PEST(H), and hate TOULOUSE (F) PATIENCE (FG), but this still isn't quite CLARE (IRL) to me.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 07:45 PM
Rex

Umm - - why should we know "real full words and names?" <BR> <BR>Are you suggesting that Deutschland is not a real full name? Or Fürstentum Liechtenstein? These ARE the real full names of those countries, and the codes used on cars, websites, and who knows what else - - it's not just trivia - - it's real live geographic literacy. <BR> <BR>There are plenty of relevant similar examples of poor American geographic literacy about our own country, too. <BR> <BR>AR is NOT Arizona <BR>CA is NOT Canada (though .ca is) <BR>NE is NOT "New England" <BR>ON is NOT Oregon <BR> <BR>I have seen employees make all these mistakes. The intended recipients would not have appreciated their way-laid mail. <BR>

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 08:33 PM
Sue

Speaking of waylaid mail, my Provence friend seems unable to cope with NV, not to mention numbers, always addressing letters to Las Vegas, USA. Somehow they manage to get here. (Guess no one thinks of Las Vegas, NM.)

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 09:02 PM
Dr. Betty

I have spent hours deciphering this code, only to come back and find everybody haggling over a bunch of initials. Well here is what I have figured out. Take the prefix of every third word (WORLD) and the suffix of every sixth word (SENSE)and combine them in a sentence. Print it out and place it in front of a mirror where the reflection (VISION)will reveal the secrete message (MASSAGE). If you are unable (HANDICAPPED) to print it out, record it into a tape recorder and play it backwards (TURN-A-BOUT). Now, isn't that amazing?

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 09:25 PM
Holly

Dr. Betty: <BR> <BR>Thank you, thank you, thank you for the explanation! After agonizing about the meaning of all this for hours now, I can finally go to sleep. I wasn't sure of just what it was that I saw in the mirror, but... (that's kind've a daily thing anyway...).

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 11:58 AM
I'mlostatC

Rex, <BR>So what about BIH,HR,IS,V,UA,MOL and TR?

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 01:42 PM
Louise

Robbie, are you really upset with Gerard, or are the paper just making it up? Say it ain't so.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 03:22 PM
a

you people have waaaaaay too much time on your hands

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 06:53 PM
harzer

Very clever Wes. Are you a superannuated cryptographer by any chance. <BR> <BR>Abyssinia, <BR>Harzer

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 02:46 PM
topper

for comic relief

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:39 PM
cmt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was searching for something else and this came up. Maybe you will enjoy it.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhh, Wes Fowler, we miss him every day~

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -