Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A few recommendations from a recent trip to Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-few-recommendations-from-a-recent-trip-to-rome-991289/)

Uma Sep 8th, 2013 05:07 PM

A few recommendations from a recent trip to Rome

Just spent 3 days in Rome following a Mediterranean cruise. Luckily this was our second visit; we had already seen so many wonderful treasures the first time. The intense heat made running around a lot difficult, so we didn't. s

We stayed at the very charming, boutique BAROCCO HOTEL in Piazza Barberini. Lovely
room, great included breakfast(abundant buffet, eggs and hot drinks made to order),
very gracious and helpful staff. Loved the location, minutes from the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain.

A food tour through FOOD TOURS OF ROME, www.foodtoursofrome.com, on our first
evening was a highlight of our stay. With our guide and ten other travellers, we
walked around the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo de Fiori, the Ghetto, making seven
stops for delicious food and wine, learning about the history of these areas and Roman cuisine. If we had had more time, we would definitely have returned to PANE VINO & DANIELE, Piazza Mattei, 16 in the Ghetto and DA PANCRAZIO, Piazza del Biscione, 92,
Campo de Fiori.

Dinner our second evening was at GLASS HOSTARIA in Trastevere. Very modern, very sleek interior with a modern take on Italian cuisine. Our food was amazing and staff was great. We were able to chat with chef/owner Cristina Bowerman.

We had dinner our last evening at TRITONE ANTICA TRATTORIA near the Trevi Fountain.
We shared gnocchi, cacio e pepe, roman style chicken stew and a very tasty tiramisu, and were entertained by our waiter, who sang to each table as he grated parmigiano reggiano on a grater that looked like a megaphone.

Missed on our first trip to Rome, this time we made it to the church of
SANTA MARIA DELLA VITTORIA to see Bernini's exquisite ECSTASY OF ST. THERESA. The church, itself, is a feast for the eyes.

Of course we returned to TRE SCALINI on Piazza Navona for tartufo(a chocolate lover's dream).

It was over all too soon.

santamonica Sep 8th, 2013 05:12 PM

Thanks. We leave for Rome Tuesday and will follow your bread crumbs.

Uma Sep 8th, 2013 09:26 PM

Have a wonderful time!

HelenG Sep 9th, 2013 06:31 PM

Hi: we will be in Rome early October and have been thinking about booking a food tour. Do you recommend the tour that you took? Do they visit the same restaurants every time? Thank you.

latedaytraveler Sep 10th, 2013 01:24 AM

Uma, sounds like a fabulous way to decompress after a Med tour. :)

kasykd Sep 10th, 2013 07:35 AM

Thank you, Uma! As santamonica said, we too will follow in your footsteps the first week of October. Already have our food tour booked, in fact. Grew up in Germany and lived there as an adult but spent the least amount of time in Italy. I feel very apprehensive about my complete lack of familiarity w/the language. But still - can't wait!

Uma Sep 12th, 2013 06:37 AM

HelenG: Someone on Fodor's had recommended our food tour, and others on TripAdvisor concurred. I chose it based on the reviews but also the areas of the city it covered. We really enjoyed it, loved our guide, Bruno, thought the food was delicious. I know they also use another guide for this tour who gets rave reviews. Don't know if she stops at the same places or if they change up where they go. I had already planned to go to one of the places on the tour (Roscioli for pizza), but
knew nothing about most of the other spots.

kasykd: I had learned a little Italian for our trips in
2005 and 2006; promptly forgot most of it over the years. you'll be fine.

Hope you both have a great time. Better season to be there than ours! Was just so hot.

Uma Sep 12th, 2013 07:00 AM

latedaytraveler: it was definitely a great way to decompress after our wonderful but very bustling cruise.

HelenG Sep 12th, 2013 09:10 AM

Uma:

Thank you for your reply, and after also reading reviews on Tripadvisor, I booked the tour and am so looking forward to our return to Rome. Will post after our return.

HelenG