Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A few questions on itinerary for May Italy trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-few-questions-on-itinerary-for-may-italy-trip-697910/)

Travelalot2 Apr 18th, 2007 03:17 AM

A few questions on itinerary for May Italy trip

We have spent hours reading through the numerous postings on this board to develop our itinerary for our May trip to Italy with our 16-year old daughter. Below are the highlights of our planned trip with a few questions. We will be flying into Munich and out of Rome. The Munich part was originally unplanned, but, when searching for airfare we found a great deal ($550/person) for starting there and we had always wanted to see it anyway.

Questions -
1) Hotel in Florence - We are torn and we need to decide - Hotel Laurus (great rooftop breakfast area with view of Duomo) or Hotel Centrale ($60e cheaper per night but have not seen much about it. Found hotel in Rick Steve's book). Both hotels are near each other between Duomo and Train station. Does anyone know anything about either of these places? Is Hotel Laurus worth the extra $60 euro per night?

Question #2 - We would like to go to Pisa to see the leaning tower. Should we try to fit in taking the train or bus there (which is better?) on day 5 during our full day in Florence, or, should we see it on day 6 with our rental car? We would then drop down to the northern hill towns (Volterra, San G., etc.).

Question #3 - We will be taking the train from Florence to Naples on our way to Sorrento. When we get to Naples, should we hire a private driver to take us from there to our hotel (90 euro), or, take the commuter local train to Sorrento (15e total + 25 euro for taxi from station to Grand Hotel President). I hear the commuter train takes over an hour to go a short distance, doesn't have room for much luggage, uncomfortable, etc.

Itineray:
Day 1 - Arrive Munich - tour Marinplatz
Day 2 - Visit Neuschwanstein and/or Dachau
Day 3 - Fly to Venice - Tour venice in PM
Day 4 - AM - Secret itineraries tour. PM - Train to Florence. Meet friends in Florence for dinner (this can't be changed).
Day 5 - Tour Florence. (PM - train to Pisa to see tower?)
Day 6 - Rent car - see Tuscany hill towns
Day 7 - AM - Train to Sorrento. Check into hotel. PM - Bus to Positano
Day 8 - Tour Capri
Day 9 - AM - Train to Rome. PM - Vatican Tour
Day 10 - AM - Pope General Audiance - PM - SCAVI tour and see Rome
Day 11 - Tour Rome
Day 12 - Flight home (from Rome)

Thank-you for any help you can provide.

Jake1 Apr 18th, 2007 03:48 AM

Looks as though you'll be experts on trains, planes, and automobiles. But to each his own.

ira Apr 18th, 2007 04:52 AM

Hi T,

I don't think that I would try to squeeze Pisa into Day 5.

Take the no. 7 bus from the Florence SMN station (0:20 hr 1E) up to Fiesole and watch the sun set over the city from the terrace of the Bar Bleu.

Unless you absolutely have to have a pic of yourself holding up the Tower, I would skip Pisa this trip.

>When we get to Naples, should we hire a private driver to take us from there to our hotel (90 euro),....

In the grand scheme of things, 50E is not going to matter much.

Note that there are 2-4-1 fares on the AV between Rome and Naples.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

TuckH Apr 18th, 2007 04:53 AM

Jake puts it well. I'll add "tours" to the list.

You simply cannot do justice to Venice, Florence or Rome by doing abrief "tour".

ira Apr 18th, 2007 04:56 AM

Isn't it a little late to be telling the OP to change the itinerary?

TravMimi Apr 18th, 2007 05:12 AM

Sorry, but that looks like a transportation tour. I wouldn't "squeeze" anything else in at all!

NanBug Apr 18th, 2007 05:23 AM

Travelalot --

Well, at least you'll be living up to your moniker...you WILL be traveling A LOT!

Seems much too frenzied to me. Don't know if your itinerary is set in stone, but here are my suggestions:

1. Spend more time in Venice. One evening just won't cut it.

2. Skip Pisa.

3. Skip Sorrento/Capri and spend more time in Tuscany, since you'll be there anyway, in Florence. Less traveling.

4. Add at LEAST another day in Rome.

As others have said, your original itinerary will have you enjoying the insides of trains, planes and automobiles most of the trip. Too much running/packing/unpacking/schlepping for me, that's for sure.

Just slow down. I think you'll enjoy yourself more. Have fun.

NanBug Apr 18th, 2007 05:45 AM

Disregard my comments above, looks like you've already set your itinerary...

I skimmed your post when I should have read it more thoroughly. Sorry 'bout that.

Bon voyage.

missypie Apr 18th, 2007 05:49 AM

With only one day in FLorence, I'd skip Pisa. It was fun, but don't short change Florence for it. I have a feeling that once the 16 year old sees Florence, shopping may become a priority.

With so little time in Rome, I'd also skip the Papal Audience, unless it is very important to you for religious reasons. It takes up an entire morning.