Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Curious...What cities or towns are the wealthiest in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ask this because it seems to be the opinion of a fair amount of people that Rome is dirty/filthy, Venice smells and some other major tourist areas have serious problems with pickpocketing and beggars. This lead me to wondering where do the rich live in Italy. If you've visited these wealthy towns, how do they compare?
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:26 AM

the opinion of a "fair number."
Each major town or city has some dirty and cramped sections,and some other areas with grand palazzos, houses, or apartments, plus quite a bit in between.
Same is true in London, Paris, New York, etc.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:48 AM

I recall reading somewhere that some of the towns in the Veneto -- specifically Treviso and, even more so, Vicenza -- are rather wealthy overall.

Personally, in two trips to Rome, I have not perceived it as "dirty/filthy" but, if you learn one thing from this board, it's how the perceptions of people vary tremendously.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:57 AM

I have seen Verona mentioned as one of the wealthiest cities of Italy.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 12:07 PM

Although I believe that really rich people don't show off their wealth, I was amazed by the women I saw in Verona when I was there in December. Nearly all I saw in the historic center were wearing really impressive fur coats, as well as beautiful accessories like purses, shoes, jewelry.

Also, I haven't noticed any beggars or drunks, or dirtiness there, perhaps because it was Winter, but no, I haven't had the same impression in Milan, or Venice, or Vicenza, or Florence where I was shortly before or after Verona.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 12:19 PM

You will find pickpockets and beggars in all of the major cities in Italy, and many of the smaller ones too. These people are not an indication of economic status of the general population of these cities; for the most part they are outsiders who moved their to eke out a living on the streets.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 12:19 PM

obviously, there not their
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 12:25 PM

Forte dei Marmi is an exclusive beach community in Italy. It is like a Fire Island Pines or Malibu in the States. Families like the Missoni and Visconti have houses there.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 12:31 PM

Many wealthy people work in Milan and live in that area. Sort of like the NYC of Italy.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 12:46 PM

VENICE DOES NOT SMELL !!!
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 01:00 PM

michelle--there are a lot of people in the world who delight in ferreting out the negative in any situation, no matter how long or how much effort it takes them.

Rome is not remarkably dirty, Venice is less "smelly" than almost any other city next to the sea, the vast majority of tourists in Italy never encounter a beggar or a pickpocket no matter where they go.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 02:24 PM

According to National Geographic Traveler, "Siena is one if the richest cities in Italy."
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 02:55 PM

All cities "smell", the question is what do they smell like, and do you find this smell pleasureable, offensive, or neutral - and this answer will vary from person to person. For a city not to smell it would have to have absolutely pure air with no contaminants, and I guess even this would have a smell.
Regarding crime and pickpockets, it would seem to make sense for the richest city to have the most pickpockets, no sense in trying to harvest crops in the Sahara if you know what I mean.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!

Actually dgorall, I have noticed in many american cities that a certain section in one neighborhood can be full of poor people, dilapidated buildings & high crime, and oddly enough you can turn the corner (or just a block or 2 away) you can find a fairly upscale neighborhood that doesn't show ANY signs of the type of "problems" that are encountered within a "poor" neighborhood.

I've also observed that I can find a state/city to be majorly underdesirable to me, in terms of standards of living, beauty, etc., but then low & behold I find a section where the "rich" live and it's a total night and day comparison.

So, I guess what I trying to say is being rich affords you the priviledge of the not having to be bothered with the rift-raft.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 03:35 PM

Michelle,
Correct me if I am wrong, but are you saying that people from poor neighborhoods are rift-raft?
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 03:41 PM

Rift-rafts? Isn't that what they call those boats that ply the river in the Grand Canyon?
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Please don't be so sensitive. I meant it in the way *I* think rich people feel about poor people, and for that matter, anyone who they feel is beneath them.

I think there are plenty of rich people who will give to the poor, but wouldn't dare want them in their communities.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

capo, rift-raft's slang meaning is - an undesirable and/or someone who you think is significantly "beneath" you.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 04:11 PM

AH excuse me...but I think the expression is riff raff!
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 04:11 PM
KathyO

"Located approximately 40km (25mi) northwest of Bologna, Modena is home
to Italy's favourite tenor, Luciano Pavarotti, and the car manufacturers
Ferrari, Maserati, Bugatti, and Lamborghini; all of whom contribute to
making Modena one of the richest cities in Italy." - Lonely Planet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -