Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A few questions about a Dijon to CDG airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-few-questions-about-a-dijon-to-cdg-airport-940321/)

kaush Jun 24th, 2012 10:49 AM

A few questions about a Dijon to CDG airport

Ok. I have mostly worked out my travel plans for our France trip (Sept 8-21). Trying to work out the last leg of this trip:

Sept 8-14: Paris
Sept 14-18: Colmar
Sept 19-21?

After considering everything from Lucerne to Heidelberg :-), we have come down for saner, closer to CDG considerations for 18th to 20th. And Dijon looks really interesting, conveniently located and well-connected by TGV (actually. someone on these forums gave me the same suggestion when I started planning this trip).

So, here is what I am trying to find out:

-Our flight out of CDG is at 1130 am. How practical is it to expect transport from the town to Dijon station for catching a 713 am to CDG. This train reaches CDG at around 9 am. Is that cutting it too close? Should we simply pack it in on 20th evening and stay over at
ibis Paris CDG Airport hotel for the 20th night?

-It is feasible to get a car rental for 1-2 days in Dijon and cover Auxerre, Abbaya de Fontenay and/or Vezelay on one day. Then the other option could be do a slow drive on 20th to the CDG airport, drop the car off there and take the shuttle to the Ibis CDG hotel for the night.

I would love to have other ideas too for a base for 18th to 20th Sept.

Would much appreciate your thoughts!

Sarastro Jun 24th, 2012 11:34 AM

It would be very risky to attempt to travel to CDG from Dijon to catch a flight. The last time I searched American and United airlines for suggested show times at CDG, they both recommended being at the counter at least 3 hours before check in. The check in counters for transatlantic flights close one hour before scheduled departure so a scheduled train arrival after 9am would mean that by the time you reached the check in counters, you would have little more than one hour before they close. It would give very little time for error.

Any of your other itineraries would work well.

StCirq Jun 24th, 2012 12:44 PM

Having flown out of CDG 100+ times, I'd say don't risk that. Be at the airport 3 hours before your flight.

kaush Jun 24th, 2012 12:46 PM

Thank you Sarastro. You are right; AA recommends arrival at the airport 3 hours before check in and there is no way I can get there 3 hours before 1130 from Dijon. I was trying avoid one more check-in, check out. But I guess i am better off with an airport hotel for the last night.

Thank you for your sanity check!

nytraveler Jun 24th, 2012 05:36 PM

Definitely be much closer to CDG the night before. I always get there 3 hours in advance - since lines and delays can be humungous.

And if I were you I would have a car for the whole trip, picking up when you leave Paris and dropping at the airport.

kaush Jun 25th, 2012 06:00 AM

Thank you.

Booked ourselves in an airport hotel for the last night ...
We are going to take the train from Paris to Colmar. But I guess we'll be better off renting a car once we reach there ..