A Few Provence Photos

Search

A Few Provence Photos

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Few Provence Photos

Here are a few photos from the second part of my recent trip to the Dordogne and Provence. As I've said before, I'm not much of a photographer, but it's nice to have some images to look at until I can make it back over the pond again.
I got a little carried away with the Pont du Gard, but it was SO nice to see it all fixed up again since the terrible floods.

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=czqjvff...&y=-2foev0
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 01:36 PM

Thanks for sharing!!! As someone planning on being there in the spring, it's so much fun to see these! (and your photos are wonderful, no need to worry!!!)
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 01:41 PM

Thanks Mellen. It transports me back to the France of last summer without all of that awful heat!
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 02:33 PM
dln

Our paths overlapped! I have the sqme photograpshs of Aigues-Morte and Uzez as you do. Like you, I enjoy looking at photos--they hold me over 'til the next time I visit. We fell in love with Aigues-Morte and Uzes especially. Skipped Le Baux in favor of Lussan in the Gard, and saw Pont du Gard only from the train. Oh well, there's always another trip to see all the things we missed, isn't there? Thanks for sharing your album.

Old Oct 14th, 2004, 03:14 PM

Mellen, I've tried to look at your photos, both from Dordogne & Provence....don't know if it's my computer or aol that's the problem.
Someone else was kind enough to send me a link to her photos when I couldn't access tham. Would you consider doing that? If so, my e-mail is [email protected]/ Thanks.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 03:30 PM

Thanks for sharing your photos. I'm especially interested because I'm in the middle of planning for a trip next summer to many of the places you showed - Carcassone, Pond Du Gard, Uzes, Arles. I'm interested in your opinion of Aigues-Morte as I've read conflicting impressions of it. Did you enjoy it? did you think it was "worth" it (I hate that phrase but you know what I mean - if I have limited time would you advise going there or skipping it in favor of more time in the other places listed?). Anyway, any tips or advice on any of those places would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 05:20 PM

StCirq: Your pictures are beautiful. I returned last week from what seems to be the same trip as you: the Dordogne first, then Uzès (where I rented a gîte) and so many other lovely towns such as Les Baux, Aigues Mortes, Les Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer. I understand how you could take so many pictures of the Pont du Gard...the site is so impressive! Thanks for sharing these great photos with us.
Ginny
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

isabel:

I LOVE Aigues-Mortes. I think it has one of the most beautiful squares in Europe, and the Camargue area is fascinating. There are great shops and good restaurants and, well, yes, it's "worth it," though I also hate that concept.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 07:05 PM

StCirq, you can just feel the crispness in the air from these photos - lovely & brisk!

The Pont du Gard photos are fascinating - thank you for sharing with us.

RE: the olive tree from 700AD -
And we thought the robinia tree at St-Julien-le-Pauvre was old. Amazing.

And there's our Mellen!!
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 02:20 AM

We loved the photo of Les Baux. Where did you take it from? We are currently planning a reprisal of our March 04 trip to Provence and Paris to see what we didn't the last time. Pont du Gard and Arles are on the list. Thanks for posting your pix.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 02:59 AM

Thanks for sharing - the photos are lovely!
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Cape Cod:

In order to get that photo of Les Baux you have to go around "the back" of it. From the main entrance (off the road between Maussane and St-Rémy), when you reach the crest of the hill (where the parking lot is), just keep going. You'll wind around by the cave/grotto where they do the light shows, and at the top of the hill there is a parking lot facing Les Baux. Incredible scenery up there!
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 07:44 AM

I just booked airfare for March 2005 to Paris. We will spend one week in Provence and this time we will make time to go around the back of Les Baux. We have been doling out the olive oil we bought on the road to Les Baux with a eyedropper so we don't run out before we return. We want to see the perched villages. Any suggestions of where to stay around there for a couple of nights? Thanks again for the pictures.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

You might want to pick up some olive oil from the Mas des Barres in Maussane this time - it was rated best in the WORLD at the recent judging by whatever organization does this rating.

I'm lucky enough to be friends with PBProvence who posts on this forum, so I stay with her when I'm there. She runs a B&B from her lovely restored olive mill in Maussane, so you might look into that or contact her for other suggestions.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 08:31 AM

Thanks for sharing.

-Sharon
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 08:40 AM

Thanks for making the photos available, Mellen--I really enjoyed them, especially the last in the series. It's always interesting to see how cyberfriends never look the way you expect them to!
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 09:01 AM

oooh, lovely photos!

Mas des Barres? is that the olive mill near the little roundabout, as you head out of town to go towards the autoroute to the Riviera? I bought a bunch there a few years ago, but thank you for the tip, will check it out next time I go...
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

As you head out of Maussane heading for Salon (away from Arles), you go past the little roundabout at the edge of town, then past a pottery place on your left, and you make the next left (sign for Mas des Barres there - and it's the same turnoff you make to PB's place, which I think you've been to). You go past a large sheep farm on the left, and then come to a fork in the road, where you turn right(another sign for Mas des Barres there, I think). Continue past PB's house maybe a half-mile at most and there's a signed driveway up to the moulin. They'll ship to the USA now (I'm awaiting a shipment right now!). In addition to olive oil, they have tapendades and jams and soaps and bath products and sea salt, and more, all wonderful stuff!

Underhill: Please don't tell me, as someone on another message board once did, that you pictured me as short and stubby with frizzy black hair, driving a red convertible with an Isadora Duncan-style scarf streaming behind me - interesting image, but definitely not me!
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 09:18 AM

Enjoyed the photos, especially Carcassone, as my family and I exchanged houses a few years ago with a French family who lived in the hills overlooking that old Cathar city. I also enjoyed the picture of Les Baux, with the flag flapping, way up high on the hillside. I have several photos of that flag from the lower prospect of my hotel down below Les Baux from last summer. Great place, great memories.
Thanks!
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 09:20 AM

How nice to see your photos, and even nicer to see you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -