Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A Few More Taillevent Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-few-more-taillevent-questions-174795/)

Francophile Jan 18th, 2003 04:30 PM

A Few More Taillevent Questions

I've read through the posts on this restaurant but feeling a little concerned about something and want to do the right thing. We have lunch reservations for February here. I understand we will dress up. My companion is young, fashion forward and will be wearing a tie with dress shirt. Leather suit-type jacket OK? He doesn't own a suit, doesn't usually need one. Also I travel extensively but and wonder do the same tipping rules apply at this restaurant? What about the wine steward? Finally, We want to try different wines with each course. Is it possible to order glasses of wine or only bottles? Thank You!

xxx Jan 18th, 2003 04:38 PM

Many fashion clueless Americans go there, often in polyester leisure suits or the equivalent. Your friend will be a welcome relief. <BR>Yes, the sommelier will put together a nice wine &quot;flight&quot; for your meal.

ttt Jan 18th, 2003 05:52 PM

Polyester leisure suits? Haven't seen one of those since 1979. Oh my, those would fall into the &quot;vintage clothing&quot; genre.<BR>

x Jan 18th, 2003 06:00 PM

I'm betting if a rail thin gay man walked around Paris in a blue leisure suit with matching polyester shirt and a white belt, it would be in the Macy's window within 60 days.<BR><BR>

x Jan 18th, 2003 06:06 PM

meant to ad,<BR><BR>But, put those same clothes on a fat american, and its the punchline on a joke.<BR><BR>BTW, Taillevent is amazing. It's like eating in a private club. Yet, while reserved it doesn't feel &quot;stuffy&quot;. The staff is amomng the most friendly that I've ever encountered.<BR><BR>Nicholas had been the sommelier we we were there on two previous visits. If he is still there, trust his selections. (Hell, even if he's not, trust their opinion!) Two years ago, I asked him about a fairly pricy bottle of Bordeaux and how it would interact with our entree selections. He actually recommended a bottle that was $100 CHEAPER as he felt it would work better with my wife's entree. Where else would that happen!

ttt Jan 19th, 2003 04:13 PM

ttt

Ira Jan 19th, 2003 04:26 PM

Hi<BR> I think that your attire will be all right for lunch.<BR> I haven't tipped the wine steward in the past.<BR> As for the wine,the sommelier will be able to provide you with the appropriate wines. Most come in 1/2 bottles, so you will be able to try more than one.

Wendy Jan 20th, 2003 05:14 AM

Be sure to ask to see the wine cellar!

francophile Jan 20th, 2003 07:55 PM

Feel great about clothes and wine. Still sketchy on tipping. Is it like any place else in Paris?, already a part of the bill but a little extra is OK. And what % extra would you suggest if any? Sounds like tipping the wine steward is not expected?<BR>Thanks!

tothetop Jan 21st, 2003 06:21 PM

Topping

ttt Jan 22nd, 2003 07:16 AM

ttt

Ira Jan 22nd, 2003 08:00 AM

Hi<BR> Tipping is like everywhere else. Round up your bill by a Euro or two.<BR> Tip the wine steward a few Euros if he spends some extra time with you explaining the various choices.<BR>