A few kinks to work out for Rome, Florence, Venice, Positano Trip

Old Jun 28th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally booked my last hotel!

28th of July - Fly into Rome, train to Florence
28th of July thru 1st of Aug- Florence at Granduomo suites: http://www.granduomo.com/
1st of Aug- train to Venice
1st of Aug thru 4th of Aug- Venice at La Calcina http://www.lacalcina.com/
4th of Aug - Fly or Train to Naples (not sure which yet) then somehow (hydrofoil) get to Positano
4th thru 7th of Aug- Positano at Albergo California http://www.hotelcaliforniapositano.it/
7th- Somehow get to Rome (From Positano to Salerno or Sorrento, then Circumvesuviana, then train from Naples to Rome)
7th of Aug to 13th Rome at La Papessa http://www.lapapessabb.it/
13th Fly back to states in morning

Obviously I have some transportation to work out. I am not sure about taking a train or plane from Venice to Naples, I don't think I want to do an over night train, but I don't know much about it. Also there is the Naples to Positano issue. I know there are several way to do this.

I am also not sure why I picked La Calcina over the Locanda Orseolo in Venice. I know its less touristy in the Dorsoduro area than St. Marks, but the Locanda has a yummy looking breakfast and the characteristic canal view rooms that are 40 euros cheaper a night then La Calcina (we splurged for the corner room).

Anyway I guess I am looking for approval of this itinerary and any general advice pertaining to it., and the transportation. Should we buy train tickets earlier? I have found the website a little daunting, but it seems if you buy them early they are cheaper. I don't know if that factor is worth giving up the feel of being able to go when I feel like it. And can you also by the ferry/hydrofoil tickets ahead of time, if so is it cheaper? Are these types of transportation regular (every hour or so) or i it just once or twice a day?

We do plan on picking up the Roma Pass and the Arte Card for Naples (Pompeii and Herculaneum) Are there better days to visit major sites of Rome and Pompeii and Herculaneum where it is less crowded? During the week maybe?
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Also looking for info on the archeobus n Rome.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 06:33 AM

Anyway I guess I am looking for approval of this itinerary and any general advice pertaining to it., and the transportation.>

On the transport - you are going mainly by train, which is advised if visiting cities like Rome, Florence or Venice where cars are a liability as much of those cities' centres are off limits to private cars anyway. But if you take the train from Venice to Naples and not fly then with your itinerary strongly look at the Italy Railpass as i believe it may be cheaper than buying tickets as you go along - check prices at www.trenitalia.com vs the pass - and note that trenitalia.com has discounted online advance tickets but these are it seems virtually impossible to book with an American credit card.

For loads of great info on Italian trains (and passes) i always spotlight these info-laden sites: www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com; www.seat61.com - check these sources for railpass prices. And as always, based on decades of travel on Italian trains, i strongly advise paying the relatively little extra for first-class on trains - as there is a world of difference over 2nd class IME - lots more room for luggage - larger seats, less crowding, etc.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 06:34 AM

I would consider changing to Locanda Orseolo if you can, although the place you have reserved at might be great too. We stayed in a canal-view room at LO this past May and are glad we did. The room was spacious (although no elevator), the hotel very well-located, and--most important--the staff were friendly, helpful, well-informed. There is a computer in the lobby (rather more like a well-appointed livingroom), and the breakfasts could not be better. Every time we asked for a restaurant recommendation with specifications (e.g., a place for seafood; a quiet pizza place, etc.) we were directed to a great meal, just what we wanted. And in crazy Venice, with no numbers on buildings and many dead ends and puzzling intersections, we were given excellent directions.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 06:35 AM

I think you'll really enjoy La Calcina. My daughter stayed there two years ago, roughly at the same time that you're going, and was quite happy not to be staying in St. Marks during the height of the tourist season.

About Venice to Naples: I'm not even sure there IS an overnight train anymore. It seems many of the routes have been cut. But even if there were, I'd recommend flying. Some of the budget carriers used to fly this route. Just check and make sure that they still do.

If you decide to go with a private transfer from Naples to Positano, I'd highly recommend Tourofitaly.com. They are based in Sorrento, but do tranfers and tours of the coast. We've used them many times and they're really great.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Because of the season, will it take longer to go by road than rail?
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

I mean than boat*
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 08:56 AM

Here is a vote for Locanda Orseolo: it is very near San Marco and all the wonderful sites and activities but in a very quiet area. It was our favourite hotel during our three-week stay in Italy. We had the luxury canal side room as well as two others. Plump for the best room -- well worth it -- large, lovely, well air-conditioned and appointed. We have stayed in Four Seasons, etc, and thought it was charming and great value. What can compare to hanging out your window and watching the gondoliers drift by?

We took the night train from Venice to Naples but it was two years ago. Children enjoyed it!

For transfers between Naples and Positano we used Mondo Guide and thought they were excellent.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 09:02 AM

I agree that the Locanda Orseolo is spectacular. Been there once before and will be back later this year. The breakfast is to die for -- and the hospitality is extraordinary.

If you have money in the budget, I'd suggest hiring a car/driver for the trip from Naples (airport or train station) to Positano. It's such beautiful coastline scenery between Naples - Sorrento - Positano and you'd get the opportunity to stop at various lookouts and take photos. I'd recommend Sorrento Car Service or Taxi Sorrento by Emilio Esposito. I've used both for either transfers and excursions and found they have excellent service and better rates than competitors.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 09:16 AM

La Calcina is a great place on a wonderful spot in Venice. You should have lovely view of the Guideca canal and Guideca rather than a small canal between buildings.

Dorsoduro is a nice area.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Which air line should we fly. I only Easy jet and Alitala as choices.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 10:41 AM

Those look like the only ones that fly from Venice Marco Polo (VCE) to Naples.

Lots of folks like Easyjet, we have never flown them before
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 11:46 AM

About Venice to Naples: I'm not even sure there IS an overnight train anymore>

I believe there is and if there is consider the night's savings on a hotel and staying in Venice until the train - put your bags in the train station's left luggage and spend the early evening in Venice and wake up in Naples or Salerno - i'd advise going to Salerno by train and taking the dramatic Amalfi Coast buses to Positano or going by boat from Salerno to Positano. Less hectic than going via Naples IMO
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 01:00 PM

There is an overnight train from Venice to Naples - leaving around 9pm and arriving Naples 10 am and there is another overnight train leaving Venice going to Salerno - but arriving there around 5am!
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

I have heard the the Italian trains are hot and uncomfortable. Especially for overnight.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 09:45 AM

Except for regional and perhaps some IC trains most of the Italian trains you will be riding or a tourist would be riding are air conditioned - the ES or Eurostar type trains.

Overnight trains i am sure are too but if they are of older stock the AC may not be enough if it is really hot.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

I think the overnight trains are the IC ones.

How do the hydrofoils work?
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 12:05 PM

Actually some Italian overnight trains are amongst the fanciest in Europe - the Excelsior ones that once ran between Paris and Rome, Florence and Venice - they even have WCs/toilets in some rooms. But if it's an older night train - and i've been on dozens and dozens of overnight trains in Italy - and yes the older ones could well have AC but not up to what you would expect.

If it were an Exselcior train then it could be really nice. Hard to tell from schedules - try www.seat61.com as he has a lot about train make-ups on there.