A few hours in Ghent, Belgium

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for some recommendations about how to spend a few hours in Ghent, Belgium. My husband and I will be travelling from Brussels to Bruge by train with a stop in Ghent on the way. We'd like to have lunch, hang out, and do a little sightseeing in the city center. The trip will be in mid-August, we are in our mid-30s, interested in beer, architecture, history, people-watching, photography.

Thanks
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 09:19 AM
yk

Hi november_moon,

Have you seen the Ghent segment of my trip report from last year?
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...omment-2585611

We didn't visit the Gravensteen on our trip, but you may be interested in doing that and skip the Museum of Fine Arts.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 09:29 AM
yk

Oh, and here's the Ghent segment of Kyliebaby3's trip report from earlier this year:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...omment-5378346
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 09:45 AM

I loved Ghent. I was only there for a day, but can't wait to go back for more.

Lots of great little boutique and unique craft shops along the streets, tons of atmosphere...

Don't miss Van Eyck's incredible altarpiece at St. Bavo's Cathedral. It will knock your socks off. One of the greatest pieces of art in the world, imo.

Have a fun!
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 04:55 PM

november - We are doing the same thing this on August 12th but we will be going from Brugge to Brussels. I can't add to your answers but I thank you for asking as I will be watching to see some good suggestions. J
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 08:23 PM

I too loved Ghent, though we were there only for a day. We happened to be there for some historical parade that takes place every four years. It was all very homemade and fun. The area along the river by the Castle of the Count is quite charming with lots of restaurants, etc.

One thing we found was that people there seemed to really like Americans. One gentleman came up to us and asked if we were American. We almost hesitated, then said yes. He responded that he wanted us to know that he thought we often got a bad rap from the rest of the world, that he thought we were the most generous, brave people on the planet. What a nice surprise. Other people were equally nice.

Because of the parade, we didn't even get to any of the museums. I was sorry we didn't allow more time there, and really want to go back.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 08:24 PM

Oh, you can get some great photos along the river.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:06 PM

Van Eyck's altarpiece in St. Bavo's meets the definition of a masterpiece in every single way. Be sure to walk around the back of it as well as viewing it from the front.

I don't know if anyone in your crowd is interested in drinking jenever as well as beer, but there is a bar in the Grotenmarkt called 't Dreupelkot.

You might enjoy reading this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sponsored...he-moment.html
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Excellent - thanks everybody. I wish we had more time for Ghent, it seems like such a neat place.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 07:37 AM

Hi november_moon,

You might be a bit disappointed with Ghent when you go mid-august. At the end of July there is a 10 day city festival (Gentse Feesten or Ghent Festival) full of theater, concerts, dancing in the street all day & night long. Typically lots of restaurants and bars are closed afterwards for at least 2 weeks to take their annual holidays.

However, the city comes back alive after say August 15th and there are the Patersholfeesten, which take place in the medieval borough near the Gravensteen castle. I believe this year it's August 14-16. By far not as big as the Gentse Feesten, but charming nevertheless. Might not be much on during the day though.

Otherwise just enjoy the sights. For a typical Belgian meal, I would recommend "'t Vosken" on the Sint-Baafsplein, just next to the cathedral with the Van Eyck master piece. For the best view, head to one of the terraces on the Graslei or Korenlei. Also, some of the restaurants in the Jan Breydelstraat have little terraces in the back, facing the river and the castle.

Enjoy your trip !
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up about the closings in Ghent - we will be there August 11 - so looks like we will hit it during the dead time. But knowing that, we will know what to expect.