I'm going to be doing the walkers haute route this August, we will end up in Zermatt. I initially had given us 14 days to do the trek, and then travel out. However, to save a significant amount of money we will be flying out of Strassbourg instead of Switzerland. So I am going to "cheat" a bit on the treck to try and save a few days.
So we will finish in Zermatt, and have 3-4 days before flying out of Strassbourg. I ruled out the eastern part of switzerland, will have to save this for another trip. I keep reading people raving about Berner Oberland. Is it worth spending time there if we will be a little hiked out at that point. Is the scenery there significantly different from what we will see on the haute route?
The other options would be to explore some of the French side of Switzerland, such as Jura, Lausanne etc or Bern?
Or we could just travel straight to Alsace, and try and get more of a quick glimpse/tasteof that region.
We will likely train from zermatt to our first major swiss destination and rent a car (train travel from swizerland to strassbourg doens't seem that convenient, and I like having a car, I know it is expensive)
I appreciate any feedback! Thanks
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 2 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 3 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 4 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 5 South of France
- 6 Family vacation
- 7 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 8 Tips for first trip to UK
- 9 Yet another London Hotel Question
- 10 which language school in Italy?
- 11 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 12 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 13 European Christmas Markets Itinerary
- 14 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 15 GTG Paris December 2017
- 16 Dubrovnik
- 17 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 18 How many miles is a good 'walking tour'?
- 19 Christmas in South of Spain 2018
- 20 Spain December/ January 2018/19
- 21 Driving
- 22 3 weeks driving the Netherlands
- 23 Help With Itinerary By Train: London, Paris, Nice, Florence
- 24 Christmas Markets 2017
- 25 Budget trip