Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A drive through France... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-drive-through-france-683932/)

cabrack Mar 1st, 2007 03:17 AM

A drive through France...

We will be driving through France starting from the North in late June. We will have just over a week. Where should we go? Please let me know about you favorite places and possibly a sample itinerary. I have no idea about driving times so if you have that information will you please include it. Thank you so much for your help!

ira Mar 1st, 2007 03:47 AM

Hi C,

From whence are you starting?
From where are you departing?

>starting from the North...Where should we go?

South

See www.viamichelin.com and www.mappy.com for routes and times.

((I))

hausfrau Mar 1st, 2007 03:56 AM

Hi cabrack,
Plenty of France lovers on this board, but we have to know what you like to do, otherwise you will get responses all over the map! Just over a week is not a lot of time (is that 8-9 days? Including travel days from the U.S.?) Have you ever been to Europe and/or France? Do you like big cities, art museums, gourmet food, nightlife, quaint villages, hiking, scenic drives, etc.? Give us some leads and we will be happy to help.

StuDudley Mar 1st, 2007 07:56 AM

Are you really interested in just a drive through, or do you really want to discover why many of us return to France year after year? If it's the former, get a Rick Steves video & save your money. If it's the latter, land in Paris & take the train to either Provence (it will be lavender season in late June), or to the Dordogne. You'll need a car for both of these areas. If you have more than 7 full days, stay in Paris for 4 and then go to Provence or the Dordogne for 4-5.

Normandy & Brittany is also an option for 7 days. Paris & Alsace would be fine too.

Don't try to do a "drive through" of France in 1 week - it's futile...... unless you really love spending all day in the car & looking out the window (still - a Rick Steves video would accomplish the same think).

Stu Dudley

StCirq Mar 1st, 2007 08:16 AM

This is kind of a ridiculous question that no one, even the many seasoned francophiles here, can answer.

Do you have a map of France? Guidebooks? Some idea of what you want to experience? What do you mean by "drive through" France? Sure, you can land in Paris and get in a car and drive anywhere, but what's your motivation?

A week's a short time. France is a big, varied country.

CRAZY4TRAVEL Mar 1st, 2007 11:45 AM

I would start in my public library...get a few general books on France...whatever they have in stock...Fodors, Frommer's etc.

Each area of France has a different cultural influence and feel....such as the Alsace which borders Germany...the Alpine region...the Southwest which borders Spain. You really need to do some homework.

With one week, you are not going to be able to explore more than one or two regions.

cabrack Mar 5th, 2007 03:56 AM

Hi Everyone,
Thank you so much for trying to give me an answer to my very vague question. We will be in Brussels and plan to fly somewhere in France. From there we would like to drive around exploring a couple of regions. I think we would like to avoid Paris. I am most interested in the visiting the more beautiful parts of the country sampling wine along the way. From our ending point we will then fly to Malaga, Spain for a wedding. We will have 7-8 days in France.
Hopefully that will clear things up a little. Thank you!

CRAZY4TRAVEL Mar 5th, 2007 06:38 AM

If you are trying to avoid Paris, perhaps look at flying into Lyon and spending some time in the lovely area of Provence. There is more than enough to keep you busy for a week.

bilboburgler Mar 5th, 2007 06:57 AM

Fly to Bordeaux, visit a few vinyards, drift down to Berlitz

Aramis Mar 5th, 2007 02:36 PM

You didn't clear up the confusion much by stating you wanted to fly "somewhere in France", "like to avoid Paris", and see the more "beautiful parts" of the country and leave from somewhere to fly to Spain.

That still leaves a whole country wide open as there is beauty everywhere.
You really need to browse a few travel sites and guidebooks and see what piques your interest. The come back and ask for specific advice on those particular areas and the logistics of seeing them.

ira Mar 6th, 2007 07:07 AM

ttt

hopingtotravel Mar 6th, 2007 07:46 AM

Also, watch a few videos and see what you think is a 'beautiful' area.