Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A Drink With a View - Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-drink-with-a-view-florence-419829/)

phyllis_stein Apr 7th, 2004 06:15 AM

A Drink With a View - Florence

Do you have any suggestions for places in Florence to enjoy a view with drink in your hand?

Are there some nice hotel bars, for example, that are open to the public as well as to guests?

Can you really bring a bottle of wine and a picnic to the Boboli Gardens (something I read on an older thread)?

ira Apr 7th, 2004 06:29 AM

Hi Phyllis,

Take the no. 7 bus from the train station up to Fiesole and have your drink on the terrace of the Bar Blu while watching the sun go down.

On our visit to the Boboli gardens in Oct we didn't see anyone picnicing, but we didn't see any signs forbidding it.

oberost Apr 7th, 2004 07:52 AM

If your view could be St Mark's Square sans pigeons (where did they go at night?) then I suggest to get your drink and listen to the bands.

tcreath Apr 7th, 2004 08:11 AM

There is a cafe up at Piazza Michaelangelo that has wonderful views of Florence. We didn't eat there so I'm not sure about the food, but the view is splendid!

kmowatt Apr 7th, 2004 03:37 PM

There is a bar/restaurant within the Boboli Gardens that has a FANTASTIC view over the city of Florence - there is a very small balcony, just enough room to fit a table for 2 that you can sit at, order food and wine and linger looking at the Duomo and the rest of Florence - my wife and I ate a very pleasant lunch here 4 years ago and it is still one of our best memories of Florence.

amyb Apr 7th, 2004 04:05 PM

Tacky as it may sound, there's a touristy sort of restaurant where you could share a pizza and bottle of wine and overlook the Ponte Vecchio. If you cross the Ponte Vecchio to the Oltrarno side, and take a left, it should be the first door or two on the left, it's called Golden View Open Bar. The food was not 4 star (although their soups were quite good), but the view of the river and the bridge was beautiful. The take reservations for their best (window-side) tables for 8:00 p.m. onward, but we went earlier and once for lunch and had a wonderful view.

shellio Apr 7th, 2004 04:27 PM

The open air rooftop bar of the Hotel Continentale is on the Arno. Take the elevator to the top and then climb the stairway to the left of the elevator. A hidden gem.

phyllis_stein Apr 7th, 2004 04:44 PM

Thanks, all. This is really helpful. I can almost taste the negronis now....

Does anyone know if there is a bar or cafe with a view in the Uffizi somewhere, overlooking the Palazzo Vecchio?

BethGL Apr 7th, 2004 04:46 PM

Grand Hotel Baglioni has a rooftop bar with amazing views of the city. Its right accross from the train station.

nytraveler Apr 7th, 2004 05:35 PM

Agree with the roof-top bar of the Hotel Continental. the views are gorgeous - especially at sunset. Also - this is a nifty place to stay - we always use it - and especially like the rooms in the old tower with the 2-foot thick walls.

Lorenzi Apr 8th, 2004 03:55 AM

Yes, there is a cafe in the Uffizi. It's on the top floor of the 2nd wing.
Rather large, snacks, pastries, drinks.
The torre of Palzzao Vecchio and the battlements are practicly right there.
If I remember correctly the walls were rather high , I don't recall being able tolook down, just could be my memory. From the time you start your tour of the museo and by the time you get to the cafe area, you'll be fairly thirsty. Don't forget to reserve your tickets for teh Uffizi in advance.
Glad you asked this question. I am planning a trip for October and had this same question in mind.

bethanyjo Jun 2nd, 2004 04:32 PM

Just got back from Florence and discovered this website, so I'm late joining in. In response to the last couple posts, I ate at the cafe in the Uffizi and would definitely NOT recommend it -- over-priced and mediocre, verging on bad, food. It's much wiser to perhaps eat before you go to the museum just to carry you through, and then leave and find a restaurant elsewhere. Also, the last person was correct in remembering that you can't get close to the edge to look down at the view -- it's roped off about 3 or 4 feet away.

In response to an earlier post, I ate at the Golden View Open Bar and quite enjoyed it -- nice atmosphere and fabulous view, and the calzone I had was quite tasty. I didn't think it too terribly touristy, but it is modern and sleek, unlike some of the other restaurants I ate in.

FINZ Jun 2nd, 2004 04:43 PM

Simply breathtaking...The Villa San Michele in Fiesole! There is no place on earth to eat or drink with a better view! IMO. I thought I died and went to heaven.

travginny Jun 2nd, 2004 04:51 PM

I second FINTZ. Having a drink or a meal at the Villa San Michele in Fiesole is a wonderful experience. The view is superb!