Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A different kind of train reservation question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-different-kind-of-train-reservation-question-414954/)

granbury Mar 24th, 2004 02:43 PM

A different kind of train reservation question

I have read every thread on this site about train tickets, reservations, etc. and cannot find the answer to my question. After checking our itinerary with railsaver.com to make sure it was needed, we purchased rail passes. I know that I don't need to make reservations before arriving in Italy. But what about making advance reservations for a sleeping compartment on an overnight train from Salerno to Palermo? I have read that sleepers need to be booked ahead but how far? We will be in Italy for 2 weeks prior to needing the reservation. Is that enough or do I need to make a prior reservation. If so, how do I purchase just a reservation. I have found the train we want on trenitalia site but it won't even allow an online purchase of a ticket (much less a reservation) on this route. Sorry this is so long but I am thoroughly confused. Thanks for any help

craisin Mar 24th, 2004 03:54 PM

Hi granbury,

I think buying your tickets w/ sleeper reservation two weeks in advance is sufficient (no guarantees, of course). Despite having the passes, you will be required to pay a supplement for the reservation and the sleeper. Simply show your pass to the ticket agent and they will take care of the rest. Not sure if this applies to all train stations, but advanced reservations may be purchased from a section of the station separate from tickets to be purchased for travel on the same day. From my experience, it is the same section as international travel ticket purchase.

Hope this helps a bit. Have a great trip!

craisin Mar 24th, 2004 03:56 PM

"Simply show your pass to the ticket agent and they will take care of the rest."

Just an add-on: Of course, you will need to know the route you intend to take (times, etc.--good to inquire about train changes, just in case--diretto is better, of course) and let them know what kind of sleeper/cucette you would like to reserve.

hopscotch Mar 24th, 2004 07:24 PM

Is there an overnight train from Salerno to Palermo?

You might consider taking the overnight ferry from Napoli to Palermo.

granbury Mar 25th, 2004 02:24 AM

hopscotch - Yes, there is an overnight train from Salerno to Palermo. I looked at the ferry from Naples but it doesn't really fit into our plans.

craisin - thanks for the info. I guess I'll just wait until I get to Italy and hope that 2 weeks is enough. I was hoping it would be. I am aware of the supplement and sleeper costs. Thanks again for your help

JonJon Mar 25th, 2004 02:37 AM

The alternative would be to make them through an agency in the US which has a link to the European rail computer network. Genrally, sleeping car reservations can be made up to 60 days in advance. The "premium" you'll pay for this convenience is up to the individual agency such as shipping costs, service fees, etc.
If you don't wish to do that then make your reservations as soon as you arrive in Italy, either at a rail station or through a local travel agency.