Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A different (cheaper) apartment in Paris -- your opinions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning to be in Paris for a week in October, but we're now looking at different apartments to save some money. Our original apartment is in the 6th with Paris Best Lodge, and it rents for 800 Euro per week.

But I've found another apartment in the 7th. It rents for 600 Euro per week.

Can anyone look at this and give me your opinion as to location, apartment, etc.? The website is www.allure-apart.com and the apartment is the Tour Eiffel apartment. I've emailed them, and it is available for our dates. Any feedback would be great! Thanks so much.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 05:11 AM

Hi

We stayed around the corner from this apartment. I found the 7th district relatively quiet and very pleasant. The metro is excellent and takes you to all the tourist sites easily. I never saw the apartment but judging by the website it looks really funky, spacious and fantastic value. It states the rates as E550 for low season (I guess this includes October) and E750 for high. So don't know how they calculated E650. The website is in French but they do state that they speak english. VERDICT: Book it!
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 08:24 AM

Stayed very nearby. Excellent neighborhood for visitors, and you never have to go near the dreaded Rue Cler ;-)
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, worldinabag and ackislander. The website can be changed to English. When I sent an email, she said the rate for those dates was 600 Euro per week.

We're still deciding -- any more info is welcomed!
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 09:30 AM

There are a lot of very good restaurants near the apartment, and it's a very pleasant location.
I'd grab it if I were you.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 09:39 AM

Samsaf: We've stayed in apt. in this area of the 7th. It's really a favorite of mine. Easy to use buses here, lots of restaurants and grocery stores. Don't think twice about the neighborhood, it's lovely. I do know where you're coming from as you try to get the most bang for your shrinking dollar. We committed last year to take a family vacation (w/sister & niece) this May. So now I'm also trying to see where we can save some euros. If you decide to take the vacation, I'm sure it will be wonderful. Paris always is. EJ
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 10:14 AM

The area is very good and the metro is not far. The only question I would ask is , what floor is it on..from the window view , it's on a high floor..and is there an elevator?

It looks so nice I've bookmarked it. Let us know about the lift situation, please.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Okay. I've seen them an email regarding lift and also re their cancellation policy. Will post with the info.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Wow, they've already replied! This is the email I just received from them:

"Good afternoon;

The apartment is on the fourth floor. There is no elevator in the building but the stairs are easy and not high. We call this the sport of the Parisians.
The cancellation policy is : once you make a reservation you pay 200 euros to ensure the reservation. If you cancel 3 weeks prior to your arrival, I refund the deposit. If it is closer to the arrival date, the 200 euros are lost unless I am able to rent the apartment in which case I refund. The bond of 200 euros for loss and/or damage which we request upon your arrival is refunded upon departure.

Kind regards,"

So no lift, but that's not too much of a problem for us. It gives us a little more workout (even though we'll also be doing lots and lots of walking during the days!)
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 11:25 AM

The location of the apartment is excellent.

But, no lift would be a deal breaker for me. I cannot imagine three or four flights of stairs at the end of a long day. Or, even getting the bags up the stairs upon arrival and back down day of departure.

One of the joys of staying in an apartment is being able to run out for fresh pastries and fruit each morning, but I would surely skip that if several flights of stairs were involved. And, if you plan to shop the markets in the morning, you'd have to haul everything upstairs before heading out for the day.

It may not seem like a big deal the first day or two...
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 11:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you're SURE about the stairs(?), it looks & sounds good.

Have you ever done a similar situation before (I ask because I thought I was gonna DIE in one hotel in Amsterdam with a room "only" 3-4 flights up).
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

I think we were on 3rd floor (4 flights up) last year in Rome, and it DID get tiring, but it was manageable. We made sure to have everything we needed with us when we left the room. We're still thinking about this, so we're not sure yet.

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess if this is the hardest decision I have to make this week, I am surely a fortunate gal.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 11:41 AM

Samsaf - indeed you are blessed

We stayted in an apartment in Rome which seemed about 20 flights up ...and I swore I would never do it again esp. with my kids and dh and ALL those bags! LOL

It was really around 5 flights up...
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 11:53 AM

I love that apartment!! I'm looking at something for end of October, early November so I'm going to show this one to my travel partner!!

I love that they have a computer too, instead of lugging our laptop across the ocean!