Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A daytrip to Auvers from Paris for next year - or the years after

Old Oct 25th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People are always asking for suggestions for day trips from Paris. Here's one from the BBC, a non-stop train to Auvers for Van Gogh admirers.
==========================================
In the footsteps of Vincent van Gogh

Because from spring to the end of October - on Saturdays, Sundays and National Holidays - the 0956 non-stop service takes the day-trippers, art-lovers and shameless Van Gogh groupies to Auvers to see two things: the little auberge, or inn, where in July 1890 Vincent lay dying after he shot himself, and the cemetery where he has lain ever since.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...nt/8320846.stm
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 04:32 PM

We took this daytrip from Paris a year ago and it was one of the highlights of our trip to France.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 11:34 AM

It is rare to find a non-stop train or even a direct train to Auvers - hope the rest of the info is better. You typically have to change once or twice. Indeed i've have to check if there are any direct trains

But having been to Auvers-sur-Oise twice i echo the idea that this is an awesome day trip - places where Impressionists like Cezanne and most famously Van Gogh, executed their now Uber famous canvasses the town has set up replicas right at the very spot - such as the parish church - the cornfields where Van Gogh did his last and very brooding - storm clouds, etc. work before shooting himself and then apparently needlessly dying thru refusing medical attention.
And the Chateau in Auvers, though i think an 1800s re-creation of a castle, is interesting because inside it they have a multi-media show The Times of the Impressionists (or some such title) where the life in Auvers when Impressionists gathered here is re-created - such as the train that the artists used to get here, etc. The castle is at the far end (downstream) of the village and thus off the main drag a bit.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 11:37 AM

Nope a check of schedules shows no direct trains and always at least one change of trains
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 11:57 AM

I have taken a non-stop train to Auvers-sur-Oise, though it was a few years ago. It's a wonderful day trip, and the exhibits at the château are fascinating - a whole room devoted to the cult of absinthe, a recreated rail car (much of the exhibit pertains to how railways heavily influenced the Impressionists because Paris was so grey and gloomy, and trains could take them to places where the quality of the light was so much more appealing), and others.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 11:58 AM

Non-stop????? Or do you mean direct - the train went from Paris proper to Auvers non-stop?
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 12:11 PM

Our trip to Auvers was not a smooth one - we got very confused because (I think) we thought there was an RER train that at least on the map went there. But maybe it was NOT Auvers-sur-Oise. Then we tried asking for information and there was a definate failure to communicate! But we eventually did get there and had a very pleasant afternoon (took most of the morning to make the relatively short trip!)But I do not think there is a direct train, but maybe on the weekends there is special.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 12:13 PM

there could well be some kind of special non-stop train but definitely not one in regular service.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 12:32 PM

Sorry, Palenque, I meant direct - I didn't have to change trains. There were a few stops, for sure.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Palenque, I suggest you write or send an e-mail to the author of the article, Vincent Dowd, at the BBC correcting his article that there is offered "from spring to the end of October - on Saturdays, Sundays and National Holidays - the 0956 non-stop service". I'm sure he will be glad to hear from you.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 01:21 PM

Ok it is some kind of special train that only goes to Auvers on weekends - you are correct then and i was amiss - do you have any corraboration besides the article that such a train exists - non-stop to Auvers? I'll check it out and if so it will make what can be a dicey train trip there much easier. If so great info.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 01:28 PM

Paris Nord Banlieue Sa, 31.10.09 dep 09:56 0:32 0 R

And indeed it does show up in schedules - my sloppiness is not reading the article and after doing an exhaustive check for one day seeing no non-stop trains figuring the BBC guy was talking in general - but you are right and he is right. My apologies for not reading the link and thinking he was talking about trains in general.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 01:33 PM

Yes, there is the morning train to Auvers. There is also the train that brings you back to Paris to complete the round trip. But I forget the hour it leaves Auvers, but I remember being bored after 6 or 7 hours while waiting for the train back.
If you don't use this sheduled trip, but you go on your own, you have to be very careful to know the train schedules. We were lucky to see someone at the station who knew how to read the schedules. If you go by RER and then the bus to Auvers you have to be doubly careful to note schedules. When we tried to get the scheduled bus (on our second trip) we were told by the driver he didn't go to Auvers altho the bus was definetly scheduled.

Fortunately we had a good time and we had dinner at the Inn.