A day trip from Rome ....Napoli?

Oct 13th, 2019, 11:31 AM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 13,800
A day trip from Rome ....Napoli?

I was considering a trip to Istanbul this months ,but decided not to go to Turkey at this time.
( thank you for helpful suggestions re. Istanbul)

Instead , I will spend a week in Rome. I visited Rome 4-5 times in the past .
We made day trips to Orvieto , OA, and Tivoli .
Naples is about an hour by train from Rome , seems like an interesting city.
What do you think?


danon is online now  
Oct 13th, 2019, 12:24 PM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,691
Pompeii? https://www.seat61.com/places-of-int...to-pompeii.htm

It's fabulous, I've been there twice, you'll never forget it. Quote from my (then) 4 year old son when asked what he thought: "It's all broken, isn't it?". Can't argue with that.
Man_in_seat_61 is online now  
Oct 13th, 2019, 12:33 PM
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 22,939
I'd vote for pompeii as well. Know someone who took a guided one-day tour to Florence--it was a very long day but he enjoyed it.
TDudette is offline  
Oct 13th, 2019, 12:48 PM
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,941
Without getting into unsolvable philosophical amount of time needed question,
Pompeii alone - very easy.
Napoli alone - very easy.
Pompeii + Napoli - need to start the day early
Pompeii + Herculaneum - need to start the day early
Pompeii + Herculaneum + Napoli - need to start the day earliest possible and focus only on limited number key sites.
I feel the energy when I visit Napoli. The food of all kinds are heavenly.
greg is offline  
Oct 13th, 2019, 12:53 PM
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,349
Naples is great! Agree with greg, you can feel the energy. I spent five nights there. Lots to see, and of course, the best pizza ever. 😀
SusanP is offline  
Oct 13th, 2019, 01:25 PM
  #6  
kja
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 21,999
I'm a great fan of Naples and agree with greg's analysis about timing.
You might consider Naples by itself.
kja is offline  
Oct 13th, 2019, 02:25 PM
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 13,800
Thank your..great info.

Not being an early riser , I may not get to the city much before noon...
Probably just Naples then...
danon is online now  
Oct 13th, 2019, 03:00 PM
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,797
danon, Naples is an incredible city. It is very intense, though, so not necessarily a love-at-first-sight kind of place. I'm decidedly a city person, but it took me a full 24 hours to get into the Naples rhythm and really enjoy all it has to offer. I personally find day trips easier to small places, but if you plot out a simple itinerary for yourself, I think you will really like it.

One of my friends is from Naples, and her top recommendations for sightseeing (to see them all would take way more than a day):

- Santa Chiara ( especially IL CHIOSTRO)
- Il Cristo velato in the Sansevero Chapel
- Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Napoli
- Il Duomo
- Il Maschio Angioino
- Castel dell'Ovo
- Piazza del Plebiscito, Il palazzo reale, il San Carlo e La galleria Umberto 1
- Spaccanapoli and San Gregorio Armeno
- Napoli sotterranea
- Mergellina
- Via Caracciolo and Riviera di Chiaia
Leely2 is offline  
Oct 13th, 2019, 03:26 PM
  #9  
kja
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 21,999
Originally Posted by Leely2 View Post
not necessarily a love-at-first-sight kind of place.
It was for me!
But I agree that it isn't for everyone.
kja is offline  
Oct 13th, 2019, 03:30 PM
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,797
Originally Posted by kja View Post
It was for me!
But I agree that it isn't for everyone.
I went once on a group trip when I was quite young and my only memory was of the dirty hotel where we stayed. Then a couple (three?) years ago, I went with friends. We arrived after visiting Umbria and Le Marche, and roadtripping through Abruzzo. After weeks in the hinterlands, Naples was a shock to the system! Once we acclimated, we all loved it.
Leely2 is offline  
Oct 13th, 2019, 03:34 PM
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 13,800
Originally Posted by Leely2 View Post
danon, Naples is an incredible city. It is very intense, though, so not necessarily a love-at-first-sight kind of place. I'm decidedly a city person, but it took me a full 24 hours to get into the Naples rhythm and really enjoy all it has to offer. I personally find day trips easier to small places, but if you plot out a simple itinerary for yourself, I think you will really like it.

One of my friends is from Naples, and her top recommendations for sightseeing (to see them all would take way more than a day):

- Santa Chiara ( especially IL CHIOSTRO)
- Il Cristo velato in the Sansevero Chapel
- Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Napoli
- Il Duomo
- Il Maschio Angioino
- Castel dell'Ovo
- Piazza del Plebiscito, Il palazzo reale, il San Carlo e La galleria Umberto 1
- Spaccanapoli and San Gregorio Armeno
- Napoli sotterranea
- Mergellina
- Via Caracciolo and Riviera di Chiaia
thank you very much .
Most likely , I will not be able to see
more than a few places on the list, but that is fine .
I like wondering around a new city.( I speak Italian which makes it a bit easier)
danon is online now  
Oct 13th, 2019, 05:36 PM
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 19,928
For a much more laid-back excursion, consider Spoleto.

https://www.italymagazine.com/featur...oleto-48-hours
Jean is online now  
Oct 13th, 2019, 07:09 PM
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 13,800
Nice pics. Thanks for the suggestion.
danon is online now  
Oct 17th, 2019, 05:30 AM
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 98
What about a day trip to Sorrento, maybe even Capri? we have been to Pompei. It is a big site with lots of history. Lots of their artefacts are in the musea, that was a little disappointing. I have also been to Ephesus in Turkey, which I really and truly enjoyed.
JessicaBr is offline  
Oct 17th, 2019, 09:20 AM
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 13,800
Originally Posted by JessicaBr View Post
What about a day trip to Sorrento, maybe even Capri? we have been to Pompei. It is a big site with lots of history. Lots of their artefacts are in the musea, that was a little disappointing. I have also been to Ephesus in Turkey, which I really and truly enjoyed.
thx, I am in Rome now...will decide what to do in a few days..
danon is online now  
Oct 17th, 2019, 09:26 AM
  #16  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 991
Should you decide on Naples, the Toledo metro station is a modern day wonder, https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...on-underground.
bon_voyage is online now  
Oct 17th, 2019, 01:47 PM
  #17  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 13,800
Originally Posted by bon_voyage View Post
Should you decide on Naples, the Toledo metro station is a modern day wonder, https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...on-underground.
thx..I will make sure to see it.
danon is online now  
Oct 20th, 2019, 12:08 PM
  #18  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 13,800
I have just returned from Naples to Rome.
it was a warm day , the city was very crowded.
I didn’t mind the graffiti , I liked the vibe.
Unfortunately I didn’t have much time. - managed to walk around for 2-3 hours , have a pizza, and see the incredible Veiled Christ.

Thank for the suggestion.
danon is online now  
Oct 21st, 2019, 07:29 PM
  #19  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,797
Glad you enjoyed Naples.
Leely2 is offline  
Oct 21st, 2019, 08:04 PM
  #20  
kja
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 21,999
Originally Posted by danon View Post
I liked the vibe.
Me, too! Glad you enjoyed it.
kja is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:10 AM.