Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   a day to spare at the amalfi coast from rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-day-to-spare-at-the-amalfi-coast-from-rome-1511096/)

lianC Oct 26th, 2017 12:23 PM

a day to spare at the amalfi coast from rome

does any of your expertise suggests the must see place along the amalfi coast with a day to spare from Rome??? is it wisely done with our logistics that we take the express train from Rome to Naples and join a day tour of the amalfi coast and doing the round trip from Naples back to Rome??? our visits date are fixed for the first week of march'18

travelhorizons Oct 26th, 2017 12:47 PM

I would not recommend a one-day/zero-night round-trip from Rome to the Amalfi Coast. This sounds like a quite long and tiring day. Even if you could spend one night in Positano, Amalfi, or Ravello, there's still much too much time traveling and not nearly enough time to ***experience***.

tuscanlifeedit Oct 26th, 2017 12:53 PM

I agree with travelhorizons. It's too far.

There are other places for a much more reasonable day trip from Rome. If you share your itinerary and interests, perhaps you will get some suggestions.

PalenQ Oct 26th, 2017 12:53 PM

If you do day trip by train book those tickets ASAP for deep discounts vs walk-up fares - either go to Salerno where some tours may leave from or Naples - www.trenitalia.com - check www.seat61.com for sage advice booking your own online tickets; other sources of good info on trains: www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

If you can get a day tour that would be sweet - yes rather quick but at least can see the amazing coast.

If not Amalfi you could do Pompeii on your own - train to Naples and change to commuter train right to ancient Pompeii's entrance.

lianC Oct 26th, 2017 01:18 PM

thanx guys, but out time's tight tight, its either we do it or we don't, we thought we have a day to spare, we might as well maximize our time, its for sure tiring, no doubt, do you guys suggests we take the train from rome to naples and than join a tour from naples for the day trip???

PalenQ Oct 26th, 2017 01:22 PM

do you guys suggests we take the train from rome to naples and than join a tour from naples for the day trip???>

Tours may also on that run stop by Pompeii for a short look - yes book a tour from Naples or Salerno, on the eastern end of the Amalfi.

Who knows if you'll be back in Italy - go for it.

lianC Oct 26th, 2017 01:31 PM

thanx palenQ

Jean Oct 26th, 2017 01:49 PM

If rain is in the forecast, consider how enjoyable this will be. FYI, many restaurants and shops will be closed at that time of year.

lianC Oct 26th, 2017 02:03 PM

@jean, it really's a gamble, isnt it???

MmePerdu Oct 26th, 2017 02:05 PM

I don't even understand the concept of "a day to spare". If that means there will simply not be anything left of value to you in or near Rome after a few days then just do it. I suspect you've already made the decision and no doubt you'll love it, because you'll have nothing that you might have done instead with which to compare.

HappyTrvlr Oct 26th, 2017 02:21 PM

At the most, see Naples and perhaps, Pompeii.

HappyTrvlr Oct 26th, 2017 02:28 PM

Better yet, Orvieto or Florence.

kja Oct 26th, 2017 02:57 PM

IMO, no, it would not be worth it. If you said how much time you have for Rome, I missed it, but even if you really do have a spare day, there's a great deal that you could see near Rome that makes much more sense to me for a single day. JMO.

Sassafrass Oct 26th, 2017 03:46 PM

I certainly would not plan on it for the first week of March. I absolutely love the AC, but would not go in March. Period.

You could figure out logistics for doing it on your own, then if you have a perfectly beautiful, warm day, go ahead and do it. However, Rome can keep you wonderfully occupied for days, if not weeks.

thursdaysd Oct 26th, 2017 03:54 PM

I visited Capri and the AC in mid-April '08. I was pretty lucky with the weather overall, but I had enough time I could wait out the rain. I would not consider going in March.

lianC Oct 27th, 2017 01:04 AM

thank you'll for all your precious details.