Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A day in Lucca (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-day-in-lucca-902295/)

okoshi2002 Aug 10th, 2011 09:14 PM

A day in Lucca

We are docked in Livorno from 7AM to 8PM on a Sunday Oct 16.

Would it be reasonable to catch a cab to the train station and take the train to Lucca for the day?

It is the third Sat of the month- can we expect stores and eateries to be open ?

Thank you !

Lifeman Aug 11th, 2011 04:05 AM

Once you disembark, you catch the bus from the stop about 200 yards away, or take a cab to the train station. It's one euro by bus, or it was last year. The train schedule is on www.trenitalia.it and you will need to change trains in Pisa. As you get off the train from Livorno in Pisa station, look to the right and there is a local commuter type train that goes direct to Lucca. Once you get to Lucca, the entrance to the town is opposite through the gateway in the walls.

willit Aug 11th, 2011 04:39 AM

"It is the third Sat of the month- can we expect stores and eateries to be open ?"

Yes, although many shops will close in the afternoon.

bellini Aug 11th, 2011 06:05 AM

And once in Lucca, hire bikes to ride around the city walls :)

suec1 Aug 11th, 2011 06:16 AM

ditto the bike suggestion - great way to spend an hour or two - we have done the day trip you are planing twice - love having a day in Lucca! and with your departure time you have plenty of time for shopping, long lunch and biking!

okoshi2002 Aug 11th, 2011 07:56 AM

Thank you for all the helpful points. Glad taking public transportation will work rather than drive or hire a shuttle.
We hope many shops will be open.

mr_go Aug 11th, 2011 08:22 AM

<i>And once in Lucca, hire bikes to ride around the city walls</i>

I love this idea. Do you know a bike rental place you'd recommend, or are they pretty much the same?

ekc Aug 11th, 2011 08:42 AM

Okoshi, if you like chocolate, be sure to stop at Caniparoli Cioccolateria on Via S. Paolino. It is a cute little shop with a wonderful selection. Their chocolate sauce is divine.

bellini Aug 12th, 2011 05:34 AM

There are quite a few Bike Hire shops around the North Entrance (gate in walls) to the city. You could also rent one via your hotel but there is a small premium. At least you can see exactly what you are getting if you visit the shop :)) Walls are wide and very flat so very easy cycling.

mr_go Aug 12th, 2011 08:26 AM

Good tip, bellini. Thanks. We'll be staying near the north gate, so that should be convenient. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate.

zorrosf Aug 12th, 2011 03:50 PM

If your schedule permits, get off at Pisa for an hour before traveling on to Lucca. I hear they have some sort of tourist attraction there.

okoshi2002 Aug 15th, 2011 09:58 AM

Thanks for all the nice tips. Looking forward to a day in Lucca !

uflecku Aug 15th, 2011 11:02 AM

Have lunch at Buca Sant Antonio. The best veal chop I had on a recent trip throughout Tuscany. It's been around since the late 1700's.

Lucca will be a great day trip for you.