Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A day hike in Cornwall, while we're staying in Penzance (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-day-hike-in-cornwall-while-were-staying-in-penzance-1652383/)

hikrchick Apr 25th, 2018 12:36 PM

A day hike in Cornwall, while we're staying in Penzance

Our trip to Cornwall to hike on the South West Coast Path in June is really coming together fast, thanks to everyone who has given suggestions and advice.
Our first full day down in Cornwall, staying in Penzance, will be Sunday June 17. After sleeping off the jet lag we will be ready to get out and stretch our legs and do some walking. At this point, we will not have rented the car yet so we will be dependent on the bus system to go out for a day hike and then come back to Penzance. Annhig has helped me with accessing the bus routes and I think it's doable.

I would love some thoughts on a direction for our first hike. The South West Coast Path website has so many choices for day walks that I want to do more than would fit into an entire week. Here's what I'm thinking might be good choices:
1. a short walk (3 miles) from Lands End to Sennen Cove. It sounds from prior posts here that Land's End isn't worth it. Yay or nay?
2. Porthcurno sounds like it is a lovely area. There's a circuit walk called "Porthcurno and Penberth" but it's just 3 miles. I feel like I would put that hike with another when we have the car.
3. and then, maybe this one is the right one for the day? Mousehole to Lamorna and return, a circuit walk of 5.3 miles. Maybe, walk Penzance to Mousehole which is just a couple miles, then do the circuit walk and then take a bus back to PZ. Is Lamorna as charming as the website is saying?
4. A circuit walk at Zennor. 5 miles.

they all look doable by public transport from Penzance. My feeling is that Hikrguy would be thrilled to have a walk end up or pass a pub where he can get an English beer to keep him going. :)

Any thoughts on any of these?

The following day we will be walking from Penzance to Marazion and then visiting St. Michael's Mount, and taking a bus or taxi back to PZ. We will get our rental car on Tuesday and then we will be able to do another hike in this area -- maybe walk the Porthcurno circuit or the Zennor circuit this day when we can drive there? -- before driving up to Boscastle where we will spend several nights.

thank you everyone!
hikrchick

janisj Apr 25th, 2018 12:46 PM

My vote would be #3 (with #4 a close 2nd)

I stayed in Lamorna Cove once and it was lovely and I love Mousehole. BUT the area around Zennor is gorgeous.

hikrchick Apr 25th, 2018 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by janisj (Post 16718879)
My vote would be #3 (with #4 a close 2nd)

I stayed in Lamorna Cove once and it was lovely and I love Mousehole. BUT the area around Zennor is gorgeous.

Big question is: which is better served by public transportation?
and, is it possible that the buses don't run on Sundays? I'm having trouble with the bus website, which shows me timetables for weekdays and not for a Sunday.
Taxis go on Sundays, right?

Hikrguy votes for Zennor on Tuesday when we will have the car. Because we have to have a pint at the 700-year-old pub.