Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A day and night in Assisi on the way to Florence? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-day-and-night-in-assisi-on-the-way-to-florence-648147/)

JaneRebecca Sep 21st, 2006 04:25 PM

A day and night in Assisi on the way to Florence?

I was thinking of a day trip from Rome to Assisi. (This would mean 5 days in Rome and not six) But then I thought,how about just spending the night there on the way to Florence? This would be by train not car in October. Is it too much hopping around? Would it be easier just as a day trip? I am a devotee of St. Francis, so going to his home would be meaningful. Just wondering what you all may think of that?

LoveItaly Sep 21st, 2006 04:40 PM

Hi JaneRebecca, although it is wonderful to have more than one night at a hotel often it works out well to have just one night in certain places. IMO Assisi is one of those places. You can enjoy Assisi after a lot of the daytrippers have left. I don't remember the name of the hotel I stayed at, and it was quite awhile ago anyway, but if you do a search here on Fodor's you will probably find some good suggestions. Or hopefully some Fodorite that has recently stayed in Assisi will see your thread (especially with your good title). Enjoy! Assisi is a very special place to me also.

Leely Sep 21st, 2006 04:45 PM

Jane,
A few other posters and I answered you on Shadrach's thread. Basically, I agree with LoveItaly. Yes, spend the night. It's more than worth it.

Westminster Sep 21st, 2006 07:15 PM

I did not tell you the telephone number for Dei Priori.
It is 39 075 812237.

ShelleyWilma Sep 21st, 2006 07:32 PM

Stay the night and enjoy it after everyone has left. Bring good walking shoes as it is hilly. This beautiful city is magical and I think I experienced a miracle when visiting - they do happen.

chiarachiara Sep 21st, 2006 10:04 PM

Another vote to stay a night in Assisi! It is magical after the day visitors left.

pat_woolford Sep 22nd, 2006 04:09 AM

Do stay at least one night, glorious in the evening, one of the fondest memories I have of Italy.

nini Sep 22nd, 2006 04:27 AM

Another vote for Assisi--a wonderful Umbrian town. We loved the Hotel Umbra which overlooked a convent garden.

JaneRebecca Sep 22nd, 2006 08:32 AM

Thank you all for your wonderful responses. We're going to do it! We were thinking of staying at
Residenza San Crispino. Any other recommendations for accomodations?

Viajero2 Sep 22nd, 2006 08:38 AM

Definitely recommend to spend time in Assisi, if only one night, more so if a devotee (from one to another :-D). I had made reservations at Hotel Dei Priori but come to find out, I messed up the reservation (completely my fault); they found me alternate lodging in no time. Great choice hotel.

JaneRebecca Nov 10th, 2006 11:38 AM

Just to give an update:

I went to Assisi by train from Rome. All went well. Picked up the ticket at the self service kiosk-no problems. We stayed at the Hotel Umbra. Liked it very much; especially the location and the people that run the hotel are lovely and very sweet. I felt like I was visiting their home. The town had wonderfully clean air and exquisite views. The sites were moving and beautiful and it was an honor to be in the presence of the Cross of Damiano; as well as to visit the tombs of Clare and Francis. There was also good food to be had and picnics to be taken which we did. 24 hours was pretty perfect and then we went on to Florence. Thanks all for your advice. I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Pegontheroad Nov 11th, 2006 06:20 PM

Glad you enjoyed Assisi. We stayed at the Umbra and liked it very much. We attended Mass in the Basilica--a truly memorable experience, with a small but wonderful choir. The only problem was with tourists who kept wandering in and out during Mass, despite the efforts of ushers to keep out those who wanted merely to sightsee.