Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A Daily Itinerary for a Six Day Stint in Barcelona!!!

Old Jun 13th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In September I hope to be in Barcelona, Spain for a period of six days. Currently I have a few guide books, have consulted this site and forum as well as other sites, but I am somewhat overwhelmed. I definitely want to take in the major barrios and the culture that prevails in each one, but I am in need of assistance and guidance.

A few minutes ago, I placed a site into "my favorites" as future reference to a Flamenco performance (which I plan to do on the 26th of September, the night of my birthday.

But my dilemma is that I'd appreciate previous travelers giving me a daily thumbnail sketch (if I am not requesting far too much) which would enable me to make the most of this my trip which will initially begin in Tuscany and the Almalfi coast and endi in Rome.

After Rome I am traveling independently with friend. We'll meet in Barcelona, stay for six days then go to Sitges via train or hired car for three days; afterwards it's return time to the States: to California for both of us but to different sectors of this state.

Your assistance and guidance would be most appreciated. -

( I like all forms of cultural activities, flora and fauna but prefer no sporting activities at this juncture.)
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 03:31 PM

Best that you spend the time necessary and read all the Barcelona trip reports. That way you will be able to read about what others did and see if that suits you.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 03:21 AM

The best way to explore somewhere is to read a guide book, get some orientation and then just wander the streets. You never know what you will find.
Yes there is Falmenco shows in BCN but it is not native to the city. so do not expect too much.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 08:25 AM

You definetely do not want a car in Sitges.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 08:42 AM

Barcelona is an elegant city, an old port, a Mediterranean city. Great food, great museum, culture, music , parks, Catalan language and influence, Gaudi..
If you are looking for Spain of Flamenco and Moorish influence (like in Andalusia), you will not find it in Barcelona.
Some people have claimed that Barcelona is not "really" Spanish because it is or (not) the above.
I have visited 3 times in the last 3 years and plan to go again. Great place, IMO!
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 08:56 AM

I can't give you a daily itinerary, but I can tell you what I did in a week in Barcelona. This is my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm

I would buy a ticket for the hop on/off bus. This is good for two days, and there are three circular routes that pass most of the sites which are spread over a wide area of Barcelona.

The most valuable planning tool I found was Maribel's guide at www.maribelsguides.com.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 06:04 AM

It's hard to make recommendations without knowing your interests. Barcelona is rich with history, architecture, recreational opportunities, restaurants etc. What do you like to do besides watch Flamenco?