Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A couple questions about Barcelona: Airport transport and the Sardana (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-couple-questions-about-barcelona-airport-transport-and-the-sardana-932134/)

texasbookworm Apr 20th, 2012 04:08 AM

A couple questions about Barcelona: Airport transport and the Sardana

I have 2 questions, but first a bit of context: We are arriving at the airport in Barcelona on a Sunday morning in November around 6 am. Our hotel is the Holiday Inn Express on Carrer de Pallars. We know this isn’t the most convenient locale for strolling and seeing what we will want to see in our couple days there, but we had points, so this hotel was free. That is always worth something in terms of inconvenience! (And the hotel is a done-deal and hubby not interested in re-booking—we’ll only be there 2 nights, then pick up a car and head to Terragona for a couple nights and then to Salou from whence we will watch the 2012 RALLY SPAIN – CATALUNYA for 4 nights/days.)

My first question concerns the best way, given the time of day and our jet-lagged-ness, to get from the airport to the hotel. I think a taxi would be best. Is that so? Any confirmation or alternative suggestion would be welcome. We will probably have at least one rolling checked bag as well as a backpack apiece.

Also, I really hope to be at the Cathedral to see the Sardana that day. Do you think we would be able to do this? My “hope this works” plan would be to get to the hotel (probably by taxi?) by 9 ish (?), check in (but probably not into room, but there is a luggage room at the hotel for us to leave bags), and get a taxi to the Cathedral area well before noon. Is that still when the dance begins?

Cowboy1968 Apr 20th, 2012 04:50 AM

Yes, taxi would be best, IMO.
Even though you pay a slightly higher fare on weekends.

If you were willing to compromise a lot of comfort for saving €30, you could go by train/metro.
But first you will need to get to the airport's train station at terminal T2, which takes a free bus shuttle ride if you arrive at T1.
Then take train to Passeig de Gràcia.
Connect to metro L4, via a rather uncomfortable and long underground corridor of a full block's length.
Take L4 to Llacuna, which should be nearest metro stop to your hotel.

The Aerobus for €5something is of no big use as it will take you to Pl. Catalunya. Which "your" metro L4 does not serve directly. You'd have to take a taxi from there or find your way to Pg. de Gràcia or Urquinaona metro stops. Nothing impossible but probably also nothing you wish to do at 7.30 in the morning after a red eye flight.
The combination of Aerobus + Taxi will bring down your savings to appr. €10-15 vs. taxi all the way from airport.

To the Cathedral you don't need a taxi unless you want to.
Metro L4 takes you in a few minutes to Jaume I, which is less than 5min walk to the Cathedral.

texasbookworm Apr 20th, 2012 05:21 AM

Thanks, Cowboy. That rather confirms what I thought. Neither of the public transport options from the airport sounded straightforward enough for us on this trip.

Can you comment on my Sardana question--timing on Sundays and likelihood of getting there, barring major airline travel glitches?

(And reading "too many" travel warnings about Barcelona pickpockets, street accosters, and muggings--making me leery of walking from hotel to cathedral with a jet-lagged-brain. Maybe being overly cautious.)

Aduchamp1 Apr 20th, 2012 07:11 AM

On Sundays they usually start the Sardana at noon. And if it is raining it will be canceled. It is in front of the Cathedral.

Egbert Apr 20th, 2012 09:05 AM

I believe they also do the Sardana on wed. or Thurs. too.

lincasanova Apr 20th, 2012 09:17 AM

Sardana.. Sat. 6:30 pm
Sundays ..noon
Wed. 7 pm

also on holidays I believe. August is different. Most guides will tell you.

texasbookworm Apr 20th, 2012 10:27 AM

Much thanks. From the guidebooks and on-line info it did sound like noon on Sundays but appreciate confirmations. We won't be there on Saturday or Wednesday.