Reload this Page >

A coat in Paris in November?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 1999, 01:13 PM
Marty

What a dilemna! I live where it is very rarely cold and almost never cold until January or February.Right now it is nearly 80 during the days and 50's at night. I am going to Paris during Thanksgiving week. I have traveled to Europe many times, but always in summer or spring. In fact, I have never flown anywhere in fall or winter. I don't have a lot of jacket/coat choices since the need for them here is so slight. I do have a heavy wool, long, hooded coat and a long wool without hood. I have a long, lightweight all-weather type coat, but no zip out lining. With turtle necks, sweaters, and wool blazers, do I need to lug one of my wool coats. I don't want to be cold, but I am a light traveler-always a carry-on! Help?

Old Nov 12th, 1999, 01:48 PM
graziella

A coat in Paris in November? Oui. <BR>Also an umbrella and a raincoat. <BR>Bon Voyage.

Old Nov 12th, 1999, 03:00 PM
Bob Brown

In November, right now, highs are 50, lows are 37 to 40. It is cloudy much of the time. Given the latitude and the cloud cover, you will not find the sun to be very warm. And, yep, it does rain in Paris. So dress accordingly. <BR>I find Polarfleece to be a good layer to have. It is light, a good insulator, and it breathes. I prefer an umbrella to a raincoat because they are somewhat smaller to fold up when you go inside. <BR>You might consider buying one there and ditching it before you leave just to conserve space. These little fold out jobbers don't give much shielding. <BR>The cost of the umbrella is just a cost of the trip. <BR>And take good shoes to walk in; Paris is going to tempt you to walk because there is so much to see and do.

Old Nov 12th, 1999, 06:21 PM
Lori

Marty, <BR>I too live where it is rarely cold enough to put a coat (mid-90's this week which is really way to hot for Nov.) I've been in Paris in Nov. and it can be rather cold but don't go out and buy anything unless you plan on going regularly. Take your long lightweight all weather coat and wear some layers under it (jacket/blazer, long sleeve shirt and/or sweaters). Quite honestly it can be warm indoors and you don't want to have anything super-heavy on. The all weather coat can act as a rain coat as well, and you never know it might be fairly mild while you are there. I do not own a heavy coat and we go to Europe every spring. I use a lightweight black coat (comes below my knees) and blazers/long sleeve blouse/turtle neck under that. If it's warm I can shed the coat easily and still look nice. Also I am not burdened with hauling a heavy coat around indoors (stores, museums, etc.) Do take an umbrella tho and VERY comfortable walking shoes (Bob is right on with that advise). You can always duck into a cafe or someplace to warm up but if your feet hurt the trip can be horrible. Also, take a scarf and if you own them gloves (if not buy a cheap pair over there and toss them before you leave for home). Coming from a warm climate is a challenge for a traveler who doesn't want to buy a new wardrobe for the trip, but it can be done with a few layers. Good Luck!

Old Nov 12th, 1999, 08:48 PM
brad

I've faced a similar dilemma a couple times. Last was in January, trip to London for a few days, don't own and didn't want to take a heavy coat. The layer strategy worked fine for me, though we didn't tend to spend more than 10-15 minutes at a time outdoors at any stretch. Temps were 40-46 F and misty. I wouldn't change my approach if doing the same again.

Old Nov 13th, 1999, 05:42 AM
Joel

Marty, if your e-mail provider tells me anything about where you're from, then we're from the same neck of the woods. I work for a real big French company in your state and travel from time to time to France. Also, lived there for two years not so long ago. <BR>I always found the weather in Paris to be highly variable in the transition periods of Fall and Spring. You truly can't count on anything, really, but there is a strategy that works for me that I use because I share your view about traveling light and am willing to take small gambles. <BR>When I go to France on business during Fall or Spring I track the weather in Paris via the Weather Channel online or by other means to see the trend. I do that for maybe a week or two beforehand. I'm sure you can also pull down a table somewhere that will tell you the day before you board your plane what the daily highs and lows were for the last week, but I've never looked for one. So far I'm batting a thousand on this. <BR>However,here's another thought. Don't take a heavy coat, take layers that you can add or delete. First, buy yourself a pair of long underwear. You can get these at a backpackers store and nowadays they are made of light, wicking fabrics that are quite comfortable. Second, get yourself a fleece outer garment at the same place. Third, buy a shell to wear over that. I've used that approach in below freezing climates with zero problems and it takes up very little space in your bag. E-mail me if I can help further. <BR>Bon voyage.

Old Nov 13th, 1999, 05:56 AM
Helena

One note on having to lug a heavy coat around in museums, ... many (most?) museums will have a coat check, and it's customary to use it. I, for one, would almost go with the heavy coat as opposed to lots of thin layers. In a winter-weight coat, you're comfortable when you're being whipped by the wind and you take it off and check it when you're indoors for a longer time. All I know is that I'm in Prague, which is only slightly farther north than Paris, and I've very happily worn my winter coat a bunch of times already this season. Also, don't forget that damp weather makes the chill go right through you... One more thing -- it can be a pain to have to peel off 4 layers of things when you want to sit in a cafe for 30 minutes to have some espresso. If you're a light packer to begin with, the weight of one decent coat won't be such a burden.

Old Nov 15th, 1999, 11:06 AM
sam

Just got back from Paris yesterday (11/14/99). It was very cold at certain times, cold at others. My friend wore her leather thigh-lenght coat along with a cape. At times, she was still cold. Museums do have coat checks. I always wore a sweater with a thick waist length leather jacket. I was very cold at times. I would take the lightest wool or leather coat you have (long or short) along with a scarf. Trust me, you get close to a sortie (exit) on the Metro or near the door at the museum, the cold hits you very strongly, especially if you are use to the weather in the southern half of the US. Remember, you will still do a lot of street walking outside. If I got hot inside and could not check my coat, I would put it over my arm or through the strap of my shoulder pack. Not unless the weather changes drastically, dress warmly.