a cleaners that launders shirts in paris

Aug 13th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

a cleaners that launders shirts in paris

Can anyone tell me a place to have shirts washed and pressed in the 7th or nearby in Paris?

Thank you

Karen
Aug 13th, 2005, 09:12 AM
rex

Here ya go... and while I'm at it, a quick lesson on how to find it yourself... from pagesjaunes.fr for "laveries"

http://www.nestor-pressing.com

http://www.blanchisserie.net/75.htm

Of course, I'm sure there are numerous others...

Best wishes,

Rex
Aug 13th, 2005, 11:23 AM

On Rue Cler, a few doors down from Hotel Leveque (to the right as you face the hotel) is a laundry that washes, presses, folds and puts a nice paper band on your shirts. Sorry , but I don't remember the name of it, but it is easy to find.
Aug 14th, 2005, 03:30 AM

Just ask someone else on that street; everyone there is American.
Aug 14th, 2005, 05:03 AM

just a note...

dry cleaning and laundry is VERY, VERY expensive in paris. if it's not essential, i would pass on it.
Aug 14th, 2005, 06:09 AM

huh, subcon? At home in Naples, Florida my shirts cost $2.25 or $2.50 laudered, ironed, and on hangers. In Paris, I had several done at a little neighborhood place on Rue Seine. They cost 1.50 euro each and were perfect. I don't know about dry cleaning, though.
Aug 14th, 2005, 07:48 AM

The person is asking about *laundry* not dry cleaning.

Laundry is not "VERY VERY" expensive in Paris.

Everyone on Rue Cler is not American.

Sheez.
Aug 14th, 2005, 08:53 AM

You want them on hangers I presume?

I never understand why people like shirts to be folded over cardboard, so when one comes to wear them they have to be ironed yet again!

If you're staying at an hotel, and you have very few items to be laundered, then I'd let the hotel take care of it. That way you won't have to worry about explaining what you want done, and having to collect them. It'll be more expensive, but it's worth a little extra.
Aug 14th, 2005, 12:08 PM

I would prefer taking my own shirts to a local laundry and pay them 1.50 euro each to do them, instead of the usual 6 to 8 euro each for a hotel service. In addition to the savings of 30 euro for 5 shirts, I enjoy trying to do business with locals -- it's part of the fun of traveling in a "foreign" land. I personally think it is "worth it" to take them myself, and would probably think so even if the price was the same.

Call me crazy, but I also would rather go to a market and buy fresh cherries myself, than asking to get some through "room service" or a concierge.
Aug 14th, 2005, 12:14 PM

I'd rather not waste my "expensive" (flights/hotels in the foreign land) time when I'm away worrying about sorting out cleaning. I do that when I'm at home.

As for fresh cherries, if I'm passing somewhere and happen to see some fresh ones then I'm quite capable of getting them myself.
Aug 14th, 2005, 01:53 PM

If walking through a neighborhood and dropping off shirts is a "worry" for you, I agree you are smart to let someone else do that for you. No point in getting all worked up over something as complicated as dropping off a couple shirts.

I was't talking about just happening by some cherries. I was talking about the joy of seeking out and visiting a local market. Obviously we have very different pleasures when we travel.
Aug 14th, 2005, 01:58 PM

Patrick..do you remember where on the rue de Seine the laundry is located? I can't remember seeing one and would appreciate knowing..less shirts to pack this fall. I know the laudrette on rue de Grands Augustin but I don't think they do shirts.
Aug 14th, 2005, 02:14 PM

"Obviously we have very different pleasures when we travel."

You say that like it's a bad thing, and imply that your way is the only conceivably correct modus operandi.
Aug 14th, 2005, 02:52 PM

How about the same question, but for a place near the Le Meridien Hotel in the 14th? Thanks.
Aug 14th, 2005, 02:54 PM

Nimrod, where do you get that idea? We have different pleasures. Mine involve pretty basic things like shopping for cherries and dropping off shirts at a local laundry. I certainly never meant that my pleasures are "better" than other people's. In fact, I readily admit that some of my pleasures seem like work or mundane chores to others (although I still have problems with calling such activities a "worry"). And I'll readily admit that my travel pleasures would be considered anything from boring to idiotic by many others. Any attempt to make what I said seem negative about other people's pleasures MUST come from you, not what I said.

Jody, going towards the river on Rue Seine, not far from Buci is the cleaners on the right hand side that I'm thinking of. If I'm not mistaken there are actually two of them quite close together. There are probably a dozen such places within about a 12 square block area. This one was run by a man who immediately went to the back and produced my shirts when I entered a couple days later, even before I could show him my slip. Pretty impressive, when they can't do that at my local cleaners I've gone to for nearly 30 years.
Aug 14th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Thanks , Patrick! I've probably passed it 100's of times and just missed it! We always stay somewhere on rue Jacob and breakfast at Paul and I always go to the pharmacy at jacob & Seine..this time I'll keep my eyes open and find it.

Lordy at 1.50€ a shirt I may bring some dirty ones from home! I pay $3.00 a shirt in Winter Park!
Aug 17th, 2005, 08:18 AM

Cinq a Sec (5 a Sec) is arguably the largest dry cleaning chain in Paris (in Brussels, too). In the 7th, they have branches at 116 rue St. Dominique and 53bis rue Cler. They are ok for washing and pressing shirts; I do NOT recommend them for dry cleaning--the clothes come back not feeling really clean, smelling of chemicals, and as often as not with buttons broken (esp on men's suits). They claim to do same day or even less service; the reality is it's often not available.
You must pay when you drop off your clothes.