Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A change in my itinerary but hopefully it is for the better, plz take the time to look at it and comment.

A change in my itinerary but hopefully it is for the better, plz take the time to look at it and comment.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 02:47 PM
linsey

I love Europe so much that I end up wanting to go everywhere. I did post an itinerary a few days ago but I have changed it a bit. Here is my new one.
1-Edinburgh ( 5 nights) Will be there for their new year celebration that I have heard so much about. Will stay at the Balmoral.
2-Rome (4 nights) Will stay at the de la ville Intercon.
3-Venice (3 nights) Will stay at the metropole
4-Vienna(3 nights) Will stay at the Bristol
5-London (5 nights) Will stay at the Mandarin Oriental hotel

Edinburgh-Rome via air
Rome-Venice via rail
Venice-Vienna via overnight train
Vienna-London via air

What do you think? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 03:32 PM
love-europe-too

Hi,
I just cannot imagine 5 nights in Edinburgh. Wouldn't three be more than enough. After all, winter in Scotland, dark, cold, etc. I wouldn't go anywhere else in Scotland at that time of year either. Too bleak! Why wouldn't you then do London and then take the chunnel to Paris for at least two nights, then fly to Venice and train it to Rome and head home from there. Vienna is way east and off the beaten track, and definitely better May-September. I would rather add Paris, skip Vienna and add at least two days in Florence. Re hotels, if you want to splurge in London, switch to Claridges which is just divine and gives you an in to dine at Gordon Ramsey, London's top spot. Was there in January in fell in love with it and the January sales too! We had mild weather and ran and walked everywhere.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 03:33 PM
love-europe-too

Hi,
I just cannot imagine 5 nights in Edinburgh. Wouldn't three be more than enough. After all, winter in Scotland, dark, cold, etc. I wouldn't go anywhere else in Scotland at that time of year either. Too bleak! Do London and then take the chunnel to Paris for at least two nights, then fly to Venice and train it to Rome and head home from there. Vienna is way east and off the beaten track, and definitely better May-September. I would rather add Paris, skip Vienna and stopover for 2 days in Florence. If you want to splurge in London, switch to Claridges which is just divine and gives you an in to dine at Gordon Ramsey, London's top spot. Was there in January in fell in love with it and the January sales too! We had mild weather and ran and walked everywhere.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 03:34 PM
topping'

ttt

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 03:41 PM
lindsey

I have just noticed that I posted twice. Really sorroy for the trouble.

Love-Europe_too: I have been to Paris a few times so I dont want to go back there this trip. I will look at the Claridge hotel in London. WHere is it? I choose the Mandarin Oriental becuase it is in knightsbridge opposite harvey nickols and slone street and a few minutes walk to Harrods. I am in London in the ned to shop before going back home.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 03:47 PM
hello again

Hi, Claridges is a block from Bond Street, about 5 blocks from Oxford street and about 5 blocks from Hyde Park. Terrific location and amazing staff. Breakfast in bed, you don't even have to get up to open the door or sign a check! They can get you reservations anywhere. A 15 minute walk to Knightsbridge, a very nice gym-spa and people watching galore. Not tourist watching, real Londoner-watching. They will even show you the suite where Winston Churchill lived after the war, which you can also for yourself by the way! Call them directly to negotiate the best rate. A totally British experience. The maids clean and organize your toilet kit contents and all your makeup and line it up like soldiers. Really amazing super deep bathtubs with power filling capacity and showerheads a foot across! Fun fun fun and only in London. Great sales of Irish linen in January just off Bond Street in the Burlington Arcade by the way. Skipp Paris, go to Florence, it is in the middle and you can never see it too many times! Try the Villa San Michele, maybe off season you can get a good rate. Call them directly, too.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 03:51 PM
add florence

topping since this site is having update problems today

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 03:51 PM
add florence

ttt

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 03:54 PM
msa

Just have to add my .02 worth. Scotland in the winter IS gorgeous, and you can go to other places besides Edinburgh. Rent a car and go north for a few days. Truly, 5 days in Edinburgh would be great, you will not get bored...but if you want maybe stay there 3 nights and then head north and see some other areas. We did it in February and had no problems at all.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 06:21 PM
janis

To the other posters - Lindsey will be in Edinburgh over Hogmanay and is leaving on 1 Jan. so taking other day trips will probably not work.

lindsey: 5 days in Edinbugh is a wonderful plan. Just hope your pilot to Rome isn't celebrating Hogmanay too

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 06:25 PM
ski scotland - in augustc

Scotland is chilly enough to ski in August. Keep that in mind. I would get my heinie to Italy as soon as the festival is over other than a shopping trip to London. Scotland is best in May and June, long long days. Wonderful food in Scotland especially salmon and fresh veggies.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Ira

Hi Linsey
You might consider if its possible for you to take the train from Venice to Vienna on a Sunday the trip over the mountains is gorgeous.
There is a direct train at 1:00 PM that arrives in Vienna at 9:00 PM