Notices

A car in Finland

Mar 26th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

A car in Finland

I will be flying into Helsinki in July. How far is the airport form city center? Is it easy to
drive from the airport to city center?
Mar 28th, 2009, 06:07 AM

It is about 15 kilometres. Yes it is easy to drive, just follow the signs.
Mar 28th, 2009, 09:21 AM

If you spending time in Helsinki before going to your lake timeshare in other post, you may consider waiting to get your car when you are ready to leave the city if you do not have much luggage.

There is a bus that goes to the train station near the city center and there are also the usual shuttle services that you can arrange to avoid having to park a car in the city while you might be sightseeing around town, taking the ferry, etc.

The highway to the city is not difficult to follow. Once you enter the city it is just a normal city with traffic lights, trams, and other complications for a visiting driver.
Mar 28th, 2009, 10:55 AM

Often when visiting Finland I try and squeeze in a night in Helsinki because I like it so much. Invariably-because of the good shuttle buses, I travel into the city by bus and then return to the airport the next day to pick up my car. Helsinki has a major by-pass (called Keha 3) which runs west to east, north of the city but south of the airport.I think most of the places in Finland that you would go to would need you to take this by-pass and so it makes sense not to take your car into the city only to get back out again.

I do have major problems returning my hire car and twice have totally failed to get to the part of the multi-storey car park (opposite the terminal ) that I needed. Once I had to just leave the car and then try and explain to the hire people where it was. The second time I found myself leaving the airport and drove into a road block where teams of police officers were breathalysing all the cars leaving the airport.

This problem(failing to find the car return) can be very stressful when time gets short!
Mar 28th, 2009, 11:07 AM

TB

see other post for my response, with some old scanned ph0tos...good luck

stu tower

Search this Thread