Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A California Painter/Writer travelling Europe for 2 Years in a VW BUS

Nov 15th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Nigel

I am a California painter and writer travelling across Europe for two years in a Volkswagen Bus.
So far, I've been to 5 countries so far and have taken around 20,000 photos. I write a daily online journal supplemented with photos of my trip. My artwork/painting is also on the webpage.
I invite you to join me in my travels by checking out my website www.nigelineurope.com.
Thank you. Nigel

Nov 15th, 2002, 04:46 PM
regular

Have you posted here before or is this your coming-out?

Nov 15th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Visa

And how did you get around the 90-day limit on travel to Europe problem, Nigel? Do you have a painter's visa?

Nov 15th, 2002, 05:03 PM
xxx

From what I understand there is no time limit to return to the US. Certain countries only allow you in for a specific number of days, but to get around this all you have to do is exit Country A one day and return the next day. That starts the clock going again.

Nov 15th, 2002, 07:40 PM
happy

Nigel,

I enjoyed taking a look around your website. Ignore the dimwits.

Happy trails.

Nov 15th, 2002, 10:13 PM
slider

Nigel,
If you are from California why is the steering wheel on the left side of your van? Brit?

Nov 15th, 2002, 10:24 PM
driver

Um, most of us have steering wheels on the left side of our cars, and vans too, here in California and the rest of the USA.

Nov 16th, 2002, 11:40 AM
slider

Um, you're right Driver. My dyslexia kicked in. The image on Nigel's site is from the front and the steering thing is on the left. I.e., in normal parlance it is on the right. So why is it on the right on his site? If he is a Brit he doesn't need no stinking visa to travel around Europe for 2 years.

Nov 16th, 2002, 03:33 PM
umm

So the nationality of Nigels auto determines his own? Is it possible he may have bought/rented the VW in Britain???? Can I get British citizenship if I buy a VW in England?

Nov 16th, 2002, 06:54 PM
TT

Hi Nigel,

Nice web site and I like your paintings. I hope you are enjoying every day. We spent a year driving around Europe last year and loved it all. I'll warn you, though, that coming home again is really hard. I'm suffering severe Europe-withdrawal.

Where else are you planning to go? We really enjoyed Poland and Czech Rep. Are you going there?

Nov 16th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Callie

TT, could you post a report of your year traveling around Europe? My husband and I are at the very beginning stages of planning this. Thinking about three months each in Germany, Italy and France--September thru June. Would love to hear about logistics, itinerary, tips, etc. etc.