Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A/C needed for Scotland car rental? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-c-needed-for-scotland-car-rental-329212/)

AllenofSV Jun 19th, 2003 01:11 PM

A/C needed for Scotland car rental?

Hi. We are traveling to Scotland in early September and will be renting a car. Is it necessary to have a car with air conditioning or does it not get hot enough? (or is there a constant breeze?) It's so much more $$ for A/C and we don't want to get it if we don't need it. Thanks for your input.

purplegoose Jun 19th, 2003 01:30 PM

I would say no - when I was in Edinburgh for the entire summer several years ago, it only got over 70 a few times

BrimhamRocks Jun 19th, 2003 01:32 PM

You won't need A/C. Save the money.

xxx16 Jun 19th, 2003 03:25 PM

Unless 60F is too hot for you then skip the AC. Just roll down the windows and enjoy the fresh air.

GreenDragon Jun 19th, 2003 03:33 PM

I was in Scotland in August and never needed the AC! :D

JMM Jun 20th, 2003 09:30 AM

Not unless you like to waste money. A/C in cars in Scotland is quite unnecessary.

Barbara Jun 20th, 2003 09:44 AM

You might want to make sure the heater works, though!

Snoopy Jun 20th, 2003 10:46 AM

As the others have said, it's not necessary.

melr Jun 20th, 2003 10:49 AM

AirCon WILL be useful in Scotland in September: to demist the windows when it's cold and raining.

janis Jun 20th, 2003 12:19 PM

I have never used A/C in any car in the UK. It does get warm sometimes - but warm days are so enjoayble you would roll down all the windows, open the sun roof - and enjoy it while you can :)

Bootman4U Jun 20th, 2003 12:23 PM

I'm frankly surprised they even offer it since from what people are saying here it is entirely unnecessary..another way the renatl car firm makes more money perhaps?

sheila Jun 20th, 2003 12:36 PM

I have it in my car. I have had it on maybe 5 times this year so far.

It comes as standard

melr Jun 20th, 2003 03:32 PM

I live in Cambridge and my current car has AC. I've used it most days over the past few months -- even if it's only 20C outside it can still feel pretty warm INside the car! And it's also useful for demisting in the winter. I think it's one of those things you wouldn't miss unless you've had it! I will never buy a car without it ever again!

keith_l Jun 30th, 2003 04:07 AM

I live in Scotland and have it on in my car all the time - but to be honest you can live without it. It's not going to get that hot unless you park in full, direct sunlight for a few hours (and what are the chances of that!)

BrimhamRocks Jun 30th, 2003 11:28 AM

I forget you folks in the UK don't have real heat, like we do in the States. So for you, perhaps 75-80 degrees F is hot, and you might feel the need to turn your A/C on. But I'm from the southern part of the US, where in the summer it's common to have 105-115 degree F days. I've lived in the UK for a total of almost 6 years, so far, and I can recall only a handful of days in those 6 years that I've even briefly thought about turning the A/C on in my car. Usually, I just go with open windows, and it feels fine to me.

Unless you are very sensitive to temperatures above 75 degrees F, AllenofSV....you honestly WON'T need A/C and you should save your money.

janis Jun 30th, 2003 12:32 PM

Good answer Brimham Rocks. In my earlier post I didn't explain that my rental cars have often had a/c - but I have never once turned it on.

Being from California - having a 75F day in the summertime is something to be cherished. I open the windows and sunroof and enjoy it, and never consider sealing myself in w/ a/c. Yesterdy here it was 105F and I was dreaming of being in Scotland enjoying a "cool" summer day.

BrimhamRocks Jun 30th, 2003 02:54 PM

LOL.....I hear ya, Janis! Today, here in the northern part of England, it was so chilly we were all wearing jackets and talking about making some hot cocoa!