Impressions of Bad Tolz?

Search

Impressions of Bad Tolz?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Impressions of Bad Tolz?

At a meeting today, it came up that I might be offered a 6 week (ish) rotation in Bavaria with Bad Tolz as my home base, meaning that's where I'd be staying. It would be in the winter months.

Any impressions? I'll be working (and taking German lessons) on week-days, would like to do cross-country skiing most week-ends -- options close by? Maybe go swimming if there's a good indoor pool for lap swimming. Not interested in a night life scene, the occasional drink at a wine bar or cafe with a fireplace would be all I'd need. And a couple of nice restaurants. Probably won't plan to venture far afield -- after the rotation is over, DH and I will meet in Munich and then go to Vienna for a week.

The discussions are in the very early stage, so who knows what will come to pass. I'm just interested in finding out a little more about the area -- I've never been.

Thanks!
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention: will not have a car. Everything would need to be reachable by public transport.
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 01:53 PM

Never been, but that is where Der Bulle von Tölz is set - TV series with Ottmar Fischer, who plays the part of a Bairisch-speaking detective who lives with his sharp-witted mother and clever female sidekick (Sat.1). Humourous, if you haven't seen it. (Not that this should influence you in your decision....)

Lavandula
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 02:21 PM

lavandula.. now that seriously impresses me .. how would the fame of that series got your attention?

Bad Tölz is a pretty nice town, with one train per hour to Munich (where you should get in less than an hour by train ;-)
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 03:02 PM

I used to watch re-runs of DBvT when I lived in Germany. I quite enjoyed it ... are they still making it?

Lavandula
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 03:11 PM

not anymore, only re-runs on smaller channels.. but it had been somewhat famous, or at least well known couple years ago.. or was that a decade ago..
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I've seen it. But I never paid any real attention to it (I lumped it in with Commissar Rex, which I also glanced at from time to time).

Thanks for the Munich info. I will probably go to Munich for one week-end, but I'd rather spend my free time in the winter enjoying the great outdoors. Is there good cross-country skiing nearby?
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 09:00 PM

I have not done any cross-country skiing in that specific area, but the TI website says this:
http://www.bad-toelz.de/freizeit-spo.../langlauf.html

It should be quite nice, though, as there is lots of rather flat terrain between the mountain ranges.
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 09:07 PM

Hi WeisserTee,

Sorry, haven't ever been to BT.

But if you decide to see the Zugspitze or go downhill skiing (and that's probably not a huge draw as you've got that, and better, in your backyard!), let me know! I'd love to meet you and share stories over wine or coffee.

s
Old Jul 24th, 2014, 01:00 AM

Weisser Tee - you'll love it. Have spent a week skiing in Lenggries some years ago and enjoyed it very much. There are lots and lots of cross-country skiing trails in the area. Some around Bad Tölz, more in direction Lenggries (Jachenau side valley is fantastic!) and even more across the border around Achensee lake. Well doable by regional bus, too. The only question is snow - as it is at quite low elevation it is not exactly snow reliable. You'll have best chances in the Jachenau valley and in the side valleys of Achenseee (Pertisau - Karwendel!)

Tölz is a quiet, charming small town. It has two quite different parts - right bank is the proper town where the locals live with picturesque Marktstraße (some shops, restaurants, cafes etc.), loft bank is the "spa" centre, with a few hotels, sanatorium, public spa. Not sure about lap swimming, but the public spa has a pretty good sauna/steam bath area and a fun area for the kids, too (which won't be of interest for you).

Munich is indeed only a short train ride away. Hourly trains, the last one back to Bad Tölz leaves at midnight.
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 12:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ingo!! I'm sure I'd enjoy the rotation here, although, to be honest, if given a choice between Bavaria and Singapore, I'd probably pick Singapore -- I can get to Bavaria easily from Switzerland on my own (OTOH, I could take a train to Bavaria rather than getting on a plane).

Swandav, thanks for the invite If I do end up in Bavaria for 6 weeks to 3 months, would definitely like to meet up with you.
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

Just an update: looks like the rotation will actually take place next year, but I'll be staying closer to the offices rather than in BT. Will come back for more advice after the arrangements/dates have been finalized.