Please pardon the length of this message - I am desparate for information specific to my situation!
My friends (a couple) and I will be in Iceland for four days in mid August. We are planning on arriving on a Saturday and leaving on a Wednesday.
We have booked a bed and breakfast in Hafnarfjordur for the first night and plan on driving around and staying at a different place (as we explore the country) every night.
- Is it a good/bad idea to be arriving on a Saturday? Are most places open regular hours on the weekends?
- Is it a mistake to just have confirmed accommodation for the first night and assume that we can find rooms in B&Bs as we drive along? We will not have camping gear with us!
- Is it better to rent the car from an office in downtown Reykjavik or from the airport?
- Any particular car rental company that you may have had a bad experience with?
- Will we be O.K. driving around in a small car? So far we have reserved a Toyota Corolla because the space is enough for us and our budget is limited, but we're not sure how the roads are going to be.
- Should we worry about buying all the types of car insurance coverage that the rental company offers? We are good drivers (in our 30-40s and not at all the adventurous type), so the steep price of full insurance coverage seems a bit too much. I will be the primary driver and my credit card company covers the collision insurance on the rental car, but it does not cover medical, bodily damage (if not due to collision), etc.
- What are the gas prices like in Iceland?
Thanks a million!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 5 nights in Spain, need help!
- 2 Order of Amalfi visit in October
- 3 Drive from Paris to Mont St Michael
- 4 Airport Transfer
- 5 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 6 Again, onboard robbery attempts on trains leaving Milano Centrale station
- 7 Which Aran Island??
- 8 Easter Week in Italy
- 9 Getting to FCO from Rome
- 10 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 11 Mifi rentals for Portugal
- 12 10 Days in May: Switzerland Itinerary Help
- 13 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 14 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 15 Moscow Hotels
- 16 First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please
- 17 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 18 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 19 Dublin to Donegal
- 20 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 21 "Occupied" TV series: On location in Oslo
- 22 Cotswold - great food & ambience for lunch!
- 23 Barcelona tour option help please
- 24 New Years in France
- 25 Greece -- Alternative to Athens