Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   A brief trip report - London and Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-brief-trip-report-london-and-paris-487754/)

jsmith Nov 25th, 2004 09:47 AM

A brief trip report - London and Paris

You will all be pleased that my wife and I returned on Nov 17 from 6 nights in London, daytrips to Norwich and Winchester, and 7 nights in Paris.

Please be assured that we stayed in hotels, ate in both cities, walked a lot, used public transportation except for one taxi (It was raining) from the National Portrait Gallery to the Royal Academy for an exhibit on William Nicholson. All of our cash was from ATMs.

We didn't go to the V&A, Science Museum, Natural History Museum, St Pauls, Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, Harrod's, Selfridges, Liberty, British Museum and many other places.

In Paris, we didn't go the the Louvre, d'Orsay, Picasso Museum, Napoleon's Tomb, Arc d'Triumphe, Eiffel Tower and many other places.

We did do other things in both cities.

I think this as good a place as any to let you know we won't be attending the GTG in Boston even though it's only an hour away and we have nothing planned.

ron Nov 25th, 2004 09:58 AM

Truly excellent report. It will set a new standard for trip reporting that many will attempt to emulate. But few will succeed.

LoveItaly Nov 25th, 2004 10:00 AM

This report is a joke right??? Or am I just being dense?

barbmike Nov 25th, 2004 10:16 AM

Did Someone Wake Up On The Wrong Side Of The Bed Today ???? Loveitaly, I think it's a combination of the two. Mike

barbmike Nov 25th, 2004 10:19 AM

Loveitaly, correction, "upon further review", I now think it's the former. Mike

kswl Nov 25th, 2004 10:30 AM

"Puts me in my place," she said in a small voice.

LoveItaly Nov 25th, 2004 10:35 AM

Well in any case folks, it sure got our attention!! =D>

WillTravel Nov 25th, 2004 10:44 AM

I see the post as a gratutitous slam at a large group of very nice, helpful people whose detailed trip reports provide useful information for subsequent travelers. Hope this doesn't discourage anyone from posting useful informative detail in the future.

janis Nov 25th, 2004 10:51 AM

this strikes me as odd -- jsmith often posts here and he usually offers really helpful info. Maybe he got a bad turkey, or he got up on the wrong side of the bed . . . . . .

Croque_Madame Nov 25th, 2004 10:52 AM

Lacking jsmith's tone of voice and facial expression as clues, it's chancey to assume intent, yet still I would hesitate to ask what were the "other things" they did "in both cities".

Moon in unison Queen Elizabeth? Snatch terrified poodles from the arms of geriatics tottering along the garden paths of the Luxembourg?

While we may "all be pleased that my wife and I returned on Nov 17", perhaps the inhabitants of London, Norwich, Winchester, and Paris are even more pleased.

LoveItaly Nov 25th, 2004 09:20 PM

Croque_Madame, there you go, giving me fits of laughter again!!!

Croque_Madame Nov 25th, 2004 09:53 PM

LoveItaly, are you sure you just aren't, as I am, giddy with turkey induced delirium?

crefloors Nov 25th, 2004 10:07 PM

I just wanted to say huh?

Kate Nov 26th, 2004 12:10 AM

jsmith, truly excellent report, and may I just apologise for the other posters who are still recovering from their humour bypass operations.

Tallulah Nov 26th, 2004 12:19 AM

Kate: As ever, I'm with you all the way.

jsmith: thanks for making me chuckle!

WillTravel: Lighten up! Not everybody wants to read a minute by minute report of a trip...

degas Nov 26th, 2004 05:36 AM

jsmith, your wonderful product sets the bar ever higher for insightful, but hard hitting trip reports. I never knew you could find, much less actually take, a taxi when it was raining in London.

Croque_Madame Nov 26th, 2004 01:49 PM

jsmith: Sir, please accept my most humble apology for implying you might be a mooner of monarchs and a moocher of pooches.

Upon chastened reflection, I grasp what the male members of this board (being of gruffer, tougher stuff) more rightly discerned: that your tone was meant as wry.

Please also convey my regrets to your traveling companion, whom I rashly included in my scurrilous imaginings.

Robespierre Nov 26th, 2004 03:40 PM

I'm with degas on this one. It is well known that taxicabs are water-soluble.

dln Nov 26th, 2004 03:54 PM

My imagination runs rampant thinking of <i>what other things</i> jsmith and Mrs.jsmith did in both cities.

cyberUK Nov 26th, 2004 04:05 PM

I can never wade through long winded trip reports, I lose interest early on, even when they describe places I know, and love.
My wife and I are off shortly for two weeks in London and Paris, so I was actually going to try to read one for a change.

Serves me right