Jun 5th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

A Brief Review of the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Paris

It stinks.

Don
Jun 5th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

A Longer Review

I'd stayed here once before, more then 30 years ago when it had just opened as a Holiday Inn after its previous life as the Hotel Moderne. It's a big old rambling place, with probably 250 rooms on 4 floors.

Republique did not have a glorious reputation in 1980, and it still does not. This may be a bit unfair, as the neighborhoods around Republique are diverse, interesting, and safe. And the Canal St martin is one of the many, many special places in Paris that are certainly worth a visit, especially once you've ticked off the major sights.

But the Crowne Plaza is a dud.

I was staying here on points, and I checked out this morning. I'd already stayed at pretty much all the other IHG hotels in Paris (the Notre-Dame and St Germain-des-Pres Holiday Inns being my favorites), but felt like staying in the right bank this trip. And, Crowne Plaza is supposedly one step above Holiday Inn. The worst part of the hotel was being totally unable to set the temperature in my room. I had a 4th-floor room (top floor), and the weather in Paris has been sunny and warm. The room was about 80F when I walked in, and the thermostat was set to 60F, with the blower on maximum. Clearly, whatever AC system that the hotel had couldn't keep up. A complaint to the front desk resulted in the promise that "we'll have an engineer look at it," but nothing was done. The only way to breathe during my 2 days at this dump was to leave the window wide open. That would have been OK, sort of, except for the amazing amount of noise generated by the street in front of the hotel.

Oh, and the messaging system didn't work. (Both phones kept blinking bright red lights saying that I had a message. When I went to collect the message, system said I had no messages, and red lights kept blinking. So I hid the phones from my sight.)

And 1 of the 4 elevators was out of service.

And they put a 56 euro charge on my bill for "All Access," which apparently is a charge for movies and internet. They claimed that I agreed to the charges by clicking a button when accessing the internet, but they quickly removed the charges because they said I might have misunderstood because the text explaining the deal was all in French. Franchement, je ne les crois pas, parce que je lis le francais pas du tout mal, et certainement j'aurais compris le message ou en francais ou en anglais. [Translation of my reaction to their claim: "Garbage!"]

Don't forget, this hotel is rated as 4 stars. This stuff just shouldn't happen.

If you're looking to stay in a nice IHG hotel in Paris, you've got plenty of other choices. If you're looking for an interesting neighborhood on the right bank, look for a place in Belleville or Bastille.

Don Topaz
Jun 5th, 2011, 09:47 AM

Well first, of your brief review LOL! Stuff like this doesn't make you feel like a valued and loyal customer does it?

It really does sound like a S&[email protected]!

I did stay in the 9th (I think), maybe the 8th at the LeGrand Hotel-Intercontinental near Opera Garnier two years ago and it is lovely! I am sure it takes some big points to stay there but it would be a pleasant experience,
Jun 5th, 2011, 10:42 PM

Place de la République is going to be totally restructured in the next few years, and that entire north side of the square is going to become a pedestrian zone, as well as the Faubourg du Temple heading toward the Canal Saint Martin. That will make the Crowne Plaza a prime location, so they had better fix the hotel!
Jun 6th, 2011, 01:17 AM

Ugh. Thank you for sharing. Sounded ghastly. I hope wherever you are now, things are much better.
Jun 6th, 2011, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Well, yes, things have improved.

I am now at the Park Hyatt Vendome. It has a posh reputation, and it is well-deserved.

As with Republique, this is not my favorite neighborhood to stay in Paris nor is it one that I'd recommend to 1st-timers, but it's unlikely you'll find a more welcoming or comfortable hotel in town.

All that comes at a price, of course. I'm staying on points, but yesterday's club sandwich lunch (with a glass of modest wine and a small bottle of water) cost 56€. But one doesn't have to dine at the hotel. Today's lunch was even better: a ham and cheese sandwich from Le Petit Vendome -- just around the corner from the Hyatt reputedly, one of the best ham and cheese sandwiches in the city -- cost about 5,50€ and was perfect for a small picnic in the Tuilleries.
Jun 6th, 2011, 04:21 AM

Aww, Don, so glad you got away from that place.

Ok, sympathy over.

Waah, waah, I am jealous I am not in Paris at this moment!

Have a great trip!
Jun 6th, 2011, 04:34 AM

Hi Don. Am curious about your comment that the Vendome area is not a favorite neighbourhood.

We have been to Paris 4 times and are thinking about staying this time in the 1st for a change of scenery. We are concentrating on the area between the Tuileries and the Louvre and would appreciate hearing your comments.

Thanks
Jun 6th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Great idea to move around Paris on each visit and stay in a different area.

My own favorite neighborhoods are the ones where people are living, and not just working and shopping. Those are the neighborhoods that for me have the most character, and also the better choices for places to eat and shop.

So for those reasons I particularly enjoy the left bank, around the St Germain des Pres, or further up along the rue de Cherche-Midi. Or, to save a few dollars per night, on the other side of Montparnasse in the 14th or 13th. On the right bank, the Marais is a great area, and Belleville has completely changed from a down-and-out neighborhood to a revivified (or maybe gentrified, if you've been priced out of the area) neighborhood. Ile St-Louis is also a lovely place to stay, though it does have a few drawbacks (esp., transportation to elsewhere in the city and value for what you pay).

Mind you, the Opera/Vendome area is hardly a bad place to stay. There's great access to shopping, to anywhere in the city, and to the airports. But, for me, a more residential neighborhood is preferable.
Jun 6th, 2011, 10:12 AM

Thanks Don. We have stayed in the 7th twice and on Ile St. Louis twice so are looking for a different vibe.

The 1st looks like a great location so close to the Louvre etc plus I thought we might get the best of both worlds and have easy access to hop over to the Left Bank.

Will keep in mind your recommendation of Le Petit Vendome and try that picnic idea in the Tuileries.