Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A Booking fee for reservation at Jules Verne?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 06:25 AM
Mary Anne Cook

When I made the reservation for lunch at Jules Verne I did not realize I was going through a booking agency on the internet. On the voucher I find I have been charged 20 euros for the 2 of us. Is this the usual fee when booking a restaurant in Paris over the internet? I will be charged whether we show or not.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Christina

I'm sure it varies and you can find some that charge that much, some less and some none (I've seen one site that seems to charge nothing, but I haven't used it, reservethebest.com). But they couldn't have charged you unless you gave them a credit card number, so that should have been a flag. I've seen some agencies that charge for reservations (like ticketavenue) that amt, but they are really obviously a ticket agency and clearly tell you the reservation fee on the page (which I think is 10 euro, they tend to charge high fees but can be useful and have a user-friendly web site with lots of good info). Jules Verne doesn't take internet reservations, only phone and FAX, which their web site tells you. It's part of the Eiffel Tower web site. I think they do take email reservations for the Alt 95 (at least it says so) restaurant, but I haven't tested that by trying. I'm sure you'll have a great time, anyway.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 01:06 PM
betty

Mary: Alt 95 "only" takes reservations by phone. Still cheaper than 20.00 euro. Eat there in January and loved it. Choice of menu - cost about 30.00 per person. Great view.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Sue

I used www.reservethebest.com and so far it's been great. They sent faxes and emails confirming my reservations and no fees involved. We'll have to wait and see if it worked when I get to the restaurant.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Neil

I also used reservethebest.com for several of my reservations. They aren't the most responsive (a couple reservation requests went completely unanswered), but they did get me lunch at Jules Verne and several other in-demand places (or so they say - we'll see). Another advantage of booking through them is when you reconfirm (as you should) just before you arrive, you only have to call one number to confirm all the restaurants rather than each one individually.