Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   a blog on the Basque Country and neighbouring areas- Spain (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/a-blog-on-the-basque-country-and-neighbouring-areas-spain-814654/)

mikelg Nov 17th, 2009 01:56 AM

a blog on the Basque Country and neighbouring areas- Spain

I don´t really know if I can do this, but I leave it to the forum administrators...

I´ve just started a new blog, http://mugalari.wordpress.com, called Mugalari-Crossing Borders, that pretends to be a way to describe our particularities as Basques and talk about restaurants, places to see, thing to do with time, landscapes, special corners of this land, places you would never go becauseyoudidn´tknowtheywerethere, habits, way of life, etc..., from a local point of view. It´ll be a bit off the beaten track things, but not exclusively and focused on practical aspects. It will also cover aspects of other Spanish regions.

All your suggestions are welcome, and it´s open for your comments.

BTW, a "mugalari" (in Basque, a "frontier crosser") was a person that helped the people that wanted to cross to France in the tough years...

Egbert Nov 17th, 2009 07:24 AM

Wow that's great. I couldn't find enough information on the Basque country/culture before my trip. I can't wait for my next trip back there. Just curious, how do you write in such excellent English?

CathyM Nov 17th, 2009 08:10 AM

Great blog - thank you so much for sharing your culture and heritage. The Basque country is already luring me back for a trip next fall! It's often difficult to find good information on this unique and intriguing region.

LowCountryIslander Nov 17th, 2009 08:19 AM

This is perfect timing! I am just starting to plan a one week trip to San Sebastian for May 2010. I am eager to continue reading your blog. Thanks for posting the link.

mikelg Nov 17th, 2009 11:23 AM

thanks, I intend to update it at least once a week, posting on unusual topics. If interested in something in particular, please let me know.

Egbert, I just happen to like languages, travelling and reading...and use a lot English and French for my work.

cova Nov 17th, 2009 01:24 PM

Mikel, it looks quite good ...
I hope you manage to keep a regular schedule, I am always failing on that ...

Bye, Cova

annhig Nov 17th, 2009 02:05 PM

hi mikel,

well, i really enjoyed episode 1. you do not need to be worried about your English.

BTW, recent research suggests that the DNA of the cornish and the Basques is very closely linked. sadly very few cornish speak the language, and there are few bi-lingual sign-posts. and our tapas are not in the same league!

yestravel Nov 17th, 2009 02:52 PM

Hi Mikelg --This looks great! It will make for good reading between now and my trip to N SPain in the Spring. Don't worry about your English, its fine -- I wish my Spanish was half as good as your english.
thaks for sharing your blog.

mikelg Jan 21st, 2010 02:05 AM

If it helps, I´ve just posted the 10 routes that I consider as a "must" if you visit the Basque Country, with half of them you´ll get a very good idea about this so unknown area.

I´ll post later the 10 things to do and places to eat.

LowCountryIslander Jan 21st, 2010 05:30 AM

mikelg...

Thanks for updating this post. I'll check out the 10 "must" routes and I'm looking forward to your things to do and places to eat information! :)

mikelg Feb 15th, 2010 03:43 AM

For those following my blog, I´ve been contacted by the Basque Broadcasting Corporation (no, not the BBC, it´s EITB, Euskal Irrati Telebista, www.eitb.com) and my blog will appear (format will change) on their blogs in English for those interested in "Basqueness". It seems they find it interesting. I will update the correct address this week.

yestravel Feb 15th, 2010 05:10 AM

hi mikelg -- I love your blog and have tried to register to get the updates, but don't seem to be able to do so. I tried a post, but that didn't seem to work 4 me either. Any suggestions?

Cathinjoetown Feb 15th, 2010 05:16 AM

I live near St. Gaudens and don't know nearly enough about my Basque neighbors, so I welcome your blog and will use it.

Thanks.

Nikki Feb 15th, 2010 05:38 AM

Really nice blog, makes me want to take a trip.

mikelg Feb 15th, 2010 05:40 AM

yestravel, I subscribed to my own blog without problems, I don´t really know why you´re having those problems, I´m so sorry!

I do recommend the 3 minute video on the post on San Juan de Gaztelugatxe, it´s really spectacular!

mikelg Feb 15th, 2010 05:40 AM

and thank you a lot for your comments, I really appreciate them!

Aduchamp1 Feb 15th, 2010 07:06 AM

Nice blog, conversarional and helpful.

cruiseluv Feb 15th, 2010 07:21 AM

Hola Mikelg,

Thank you so much for this fantastic blog. Now, if I could only get myself back to Basque country!

yestravel Feb 15th, 2010 08:16 AM

well, I'll keep trying and in the meantime continue to check it regularly. Again, great blog and thanks for doing it.

weber6560 Feb 16th, 2010 05:11 PM

Let's not forget a "hats off" to the moderator for letting Mikel go forward!