Reload this Page >

A bit confused: RER to Versailles and Chartres

Jul 14th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi Fellow Travelers,

Can you help me sort this out?

When I take RER C to Versailles Rive Gauche, where am I supposed to buy the train ticket? I need to take the Metro from Porte de Versailles to the RER station first (St-Michel?). Do I use a separate metro ticket to get to the RER station then buy the Versailles-bound ticket there? I presume I'll have to do the same on the return journey?

What about Chartres? I believe it is the same ticket-purchasing precedure. But how are Montparnasse Bienvenue station and Gare Montparnasse station related? Which do I use for heading to Chartres? What is the name of the station I want, just "Chartres?"

Thanks for your input.
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:27 AM

Hi there - relax, it's all here:

http://www.ratp.fr/index_eng.htm

A lot of the left nav subpages are in French only, but they're pretty easy to understand. Or, from

http://www.ratp.fr/ParisVisite/Eng/pivi/f_pivi.htm

just click on the top nav (blue line) for stuff in English. It's easy. Really!

And yes, you'll probably use a Métro carnet ticket for your local journey before getting an aller-retour (round trip) for the RER.
HTH
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:37 AM

For the RER to Versailles, you just need a metro ticket that covers both Zone 1 (Central Paris) and Zone 2 (where Versailles is). Just one ticket (2.50 euro). Use it for riding the Metro, and then again when entering the RER station. Make sure you keep the ticket, as you'll need it to get in and out of a RER station (unlike Metro).

Gare Montparnasse is the train station where you take the train to Chartres. 4 lines of Metro has stops at Montparnasse - Lines 6 & 13 stop right underneath the train station, while Lines 4 & 12 stop north of Tour Montparnasse, so it's a 3-4 minutes walk from the subway platforms to the train stations. There's a walkway underground, or you can go up and walk along the plaza.
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:39 AM

1. You can buy a Metro ticket at any metro station
2. You go to an RER stop on Line C to buy your RER ticket for Paris-Versailles.
NOTE: you want to go to the station in Versailles called "Versailles-Rive Gauche" NOT "Versailles-Chantier"; take care to watch the route signs on the track to make sure you are getting on the right train

3. Montparnasse-Bienvenue is the name of the METRO station that is contained within the Gare Montparnasse station.

4. Gare Montparnasse is the train station for the SNCF lines (it also has metro lines that correspond inside it).
You want to go here and buy your ticket for trip to Chartres.
(when you exit the train station in Chartes, check to see the times your train will be returning to Paris; then go outside, see the tall church spires and head for those).
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:42 AM

http://www.ratp.fr/ParisVisite/Image...eaux/zones.pdf

Versailles is clearly in Zone 4 and requires an RER ticket, not a Metro ticket.
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:51 AM

From Porte de Verailles metro you can get to an RER station mutiple ways, all going in the direction away from Versailles at the beginning If you are up for it you can also simply walk to the Issy Val de Seine stop on the RER C line, from there take an RER C train to Versailles Rive Gauche. The route branches and only some trains go to Versailles; signs will tell you if the train is going there or to the other branch of the RER C line, St Quentin (which you do not want to take.) You can buy your ticket at the RER station from one of the machines. Be sure to keep your ticket after boarding because (unlike the Metro) you will need the ticket to exit the station in Versailles.
Montparnasse Bienvenue is a Metro stop, and the Gare Montparnasse is the actual station for SNSCF trains. To get to Chartres you would take Metro from Porte de Versailles to stop Pasteur or Monparnasse Bienvenue, then walk the short distance to the train station where you would purchase a ticket for a train (SNCF, not an RER) to Chartres from a machine or from a clerk at a window. Trains to Chartres will be posted on the boards. You can also look online at www.sncf.fr for schedules.
Jul 14th, 2004, 01:33 PM

Oops... Sorry, Versailles is in Zone 4, not Zone 2 as I mistakenly stated in my last post.

But the way the tickets work remain the same. You go to a Metro ticket office and tell them you want a ticket to Versailles-RG. 2.50 Euro per single-ticket, and use it for your Metro ride AND the RER ride.
Jul 14th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a bunch! You've been most helpful. I've jotted all this info down. I was indeed starting to panic as I leave for Paris on Monday!