Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   90 days in Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/90-days-in-europe-874944/)

BruceinTampa Jan 24th, 2011 08:03 AM

90 days in Europe

Hello travelers.
Newbie traveler planning to spend 3 months in Europe beginning in Mid April 2011.
I would like to start in Italy in a town called Fondi between Rome and Naples and eventually depart from Great Britain when the money runs out.
I want to keep my expenses to less than $150 US per day.
I would prefer to stay in Western Europe for this trip and am not adverse to renting apartments for 2 week periods to get to know the area a little better.
Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, Amsterdam, and Ireland are on the must see list.
I plan on using the Schengen Visa for the first 90, then whatever is left of my finances will be put to good use in GB and Ireland.
Thank you for your input, suggestions and links.
Bruce in Tampa

nytraveler Jan 24th, 2011 08:55 AM

Does the $150 per day include intercity travel? Or are you planning on buying a rail pass separately? If intercity trains or plane fares must come out of the $150 you're going to need to be careful with dining, sights and evenngs out.

I'm not sure that budget will support an apartment - you might be better off investigating hostels or similar.

PalenQ Jan 24th, 2011 10:09 AM

You do not mention your mode of travel but I assume with such far-removed destinations on your wish list it may include trains and perhaps mixed in with a few discount airline transfers to relocated over longer distances (though the zillion of overnight trains can do the same and you save a nice's hotel costs to boot whilst sleeping on the train) - anyway I have traveled Europe by train annually for decades and can attest to the superb train system that literally has zillions of daily trains between practically every key city and many small towns - here are IMO some superb web sites for planning a European rail journey - www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com (download this site's free European Planning and Rail Guide for great rail itinerary suggestios in each country) and www.ricksteves.com, the latter includes some good info on budget airlines say if you want to fly between say Portugal or Spain and the U.K.

PalenQ Jan 24th, 2011 10:09 AM

You do not mention your mode of travel but I assume with such far-removed destinations on your wish list it may include trains and perhaps mixed in with a few discount airline transfers to relocated over longer distances (though the zillion of overnight trains can do the same and you save a nice's hotel costs to boot whilst sleeping on the train) - anyway I have traveled Europe by train annually for decades and can attest to the superb train system that literally has zillions of daily trains between practically every key city and many small towns - here are IMO some superb web sites for planning a European rail journey - www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com (download this site's free European Planning and Rail Guide for great rail itinerary suggestios in each country) and www.ricksteves.com, the latter includes some good info on budget airlines say if you want to fly between say Portugal or Spain and the U.K.

PalenQ Jan 25th, 2011 12:41 PM

Also consider the budget airlines like Easy Jet and Ryanair and a plethora more - say to move from far removed areas like Portugal to Ireland (check out ryanair.com for this one.

PalenQ Jan 26th, 2011 08:39 AM

Try for an open-jaw airline ticket - like flying into Milan or Rome and leaving from Dublin or wherever you end up - can save a lot of time and money backtracking.