Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > 9 nights total - France and Barcelona
Notices

9 nights total - France and Barcelona

Apr 7th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

9 nights total - France and Barcelona

Traveling with my husband and planning on spending time in France and departing out of Barcelona. Looking for advice regarding itinerary and # of nights per location. A few questions: 1. Paris : 3 nts - stay near Eiffel Tower? We love walking, museums, romance, art , getting lost 2. Taking a train from Paris to either Loire valley or Provence area. What are your thoughts? Which area do you suggest of those 2? we are leaning towards provence. 4 nts - we want to explore, ride bikes, beautiful towns , etc. 3 nts or 4 ?We will rent a car in this destination to travel around 3. Flying out of Barcelona so planning on taking train to Barcelona and staying there 2 nights. Is that enough or should we take one night from Loire valley / Provence? My thoughts are "no" but welcome any and all opinions regarding must-see places, hotels. It's our 25th anniversary and have been all over Europe but never to France !! Thank you, in advance!
Apr 7th, 2013, 01:53 PM

Three nights in Paris is basically two days...better than nothing, but hardly enough time to
see the city, visit museums etc. Same for one day in Barcelona.
You know how to manage your time, but if you include travel and moving around, I am not sure you will
be able cover several towns in Provence as well.
Apr 7th, 2013, 03:06 PM

IMHO 9 days is enough for 2 major destination - not 3.

Also, staying near the Eiffel Tower is not that convenient - most sights are in other areas. I would stay in the 4th or 5th instead.
Apr 7th, 2013, 03:17 PM

Yeah, I agree, skip the Loire/Provence part and just do two bases - Paris and Barcelona - but you can do some day trips. You can fly (easyjet) between them for far less than it would cost to take a train, and save a whole day or more.

Here's a recent thread that lists an enormous number of possible day trips from Paris - http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...paris-help.cfm

If you do a search you will also find some from Barcelona.

And really 9 nights between those two cities is just the bare minimum for most people, there is so much to see in both of them.

And in Paris I would agree the 4th or 5th (or 6th) would be the preferred area for ease of getting to most of the stuff you will probably want to see. I stayed near the Eiffel Tower on my first trip to Paris. This summer will be my 7th trip and I have never stayed in that area again - what does that tell you. I always stay in the 4th, 5th, or 6th.

Search this Thread