Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

9 night trip Italy in Mid-late APRIL 2010 continued.......???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does this sound for a 9 night trip???? Any kind of input(good or bad)would be appreciated. Fly into Rome(stay for 3 nights). Take the train to Orvieto(pick up rental car) drive into Tuscany and spend 3-4 nights. Drop off car in Florence and take train to Santa Margherita for two nights(day trip to Portofino). Take train to Pisa and fly home. How does it sound????

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 04:58 PM

It sounds like a lot of running around. You're not going to see Orvieto or Florence? Have you taken a look at the amount of driving (distance or time).

Are you really going to take the train from Santa Margherita to Pisa the morning of your flight? What if there is a train strike? Do you have a plan B?

I would probably leave out Rome (even though I love it) and concentrate on Tuscany to Portofino.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 05:22 PM

You are really trying to do a lot in 9 days. I would actually pick two destinations.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

How about Flying into Rome(take an immediate train to Orvieto). Stay one night there, then rent a car for Tuscany(stay a couple nights,drive to Florence and stay a couple nights). Then train back to Rome for the last leg of the trip??? How does that sound?? We really want to see Rome(not sure how many times we are going to be able to get out there$$$$).

Thanks again for all your help
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 07:12 AM
ira

Not as good as your last idea, tb.

You only have 9 days. You can't do it all. The more traveling you do, the higher the cost and the less you see.

Old Jun 15th, 2009, 07:20 AM

I just gave you an answer on your other thread..it is confusing to begin new threads on the same subject!

Here is the answer I gave you a few minutes ago!

#

We would love to go for two weeks, but my wife just got a new job and 10 days is the max alotted. We really want to see Rome. How does this sound? Fly into Rome(take train to Florence and spend a couple nights). Rent a car in Florence before our trip south into Tuscany(Siena,Montepulciano...???). Would it be easiest to rent a car in Florence for our trip south into wine country? Then we would drive to Orvieto(maybe stay one night)then take the train to Rome for last leg of trip. Is this less running around???
#
ekscrunchy on Jun 15, 09 at 10:38 AM

Yes. This is much smarter and more compact. But you might also look into flying home from Florence; you could rent your car there after a few days in the city, see the Tuscan towns, and then return the car to the airport.

OR, fly into Florence, see the city, rent the car and see southern Tuscany, then drop the car in Orvieto before taking train to Rome.

But if those alternatives are not possible, your plan looks good.

I might plan: 3 nights Florence; 3-4 nights Rome; 2-3 nights in southern Tuscany-- an agriturismo or country hotel in the general area of Montepulciano/Pienza. Adjust based on your interests. If you give general price guidelines, people here can suggest hotels.

I would not recommend using Siena as a base to see the small towns in southern Tuscany.
(This last in reference to a suggestion on your original thread)