Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   9 month old and 2.4 yr old and strollers (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/9-month-old-and-2-4-yr-old-and-strollers-353298/)

donzi9 Aug 29th, 2003 06:44 PM

9 month old and 2.4 yr old and strollers

We have a 9 month and 2.4 yr old. In the U.S. we take our double stroller everywhere. Are we correct in assuming it is too bulky for travel in Florence and Siena for two weeks? We have thought of a baby backpack and umbrella stroller as an alternative....but usually little ones can't sleep in a backpack or umbrella strollers. Any suggestions? Advice?

Betsy Aug 29th, 2003 06:53 PM

I think the thing that would deter me the most about taking a stroller to Italy would be the cobblestones. The kiddos would probably love the vibrations, but I think they'd be a bear to push. Maybe someone who's actually done this will post here.

Surlok Aug 29th, 2003 07:46 PM

If it's possible for you to take two umbrella strollets, it would be undoubtedly better to maneuver through narrow doors and sidewalks and high curbs or uneven cobblestone streets.

My grand kids napped in their umbrella strollers. When they are tired, they nap everywhere, as far as the stroller inclines a bit.

However, a backpack wouldn't be adviseable_ it's not comfortable enough for them to sleep in, unless for younger babies. Besides, if you're having a meal, and both of them want to nap ( it happened often with us) , how would you do it with a backpack? Given to meal times in Italy, later than in the US, they will probably sleep while you eat.

Cricket Aug 29th, 2003 09:22 PM

I have a 2.5 year old, and when we were in Siena and Florence in March, we used our regular bigger stroller. It was very easy to push her in that. I live in Italy, and I've found that when we go "touristing", the bigger stroller works better because the umbrella strollers get caught in every little cobblestone. With the bigger wheels, it is much easier for us. Siena is a bear w/any stroller, though, because there are so many hills. Very worth it, though.

BrimhamRocks Aug 29th, 2003 10:18 PM

Definitely take TWO SINGLE STROLLERS, instead of a double stroller, especially if the double stroller you have is a side to side one, as opposed to a one-behind-the-other one.

You will be able to maneuver two single strollers wayyyyyyy more easily than you would a double stroller.

Tulips Aug 29th, 2003 11:18 PM

Yes definitely two single strollers; streets in Italy are far to narrow to manouver a double stroller; you will have to go out into the road (with italian cars and drivers and scooters) to get around sidewalk tables and other obstacles. An umbrella stroller where you can put the seat back would be OK for the 2-year old wouldn't it? My children always slept in those if necessary.

SloJan Aug 29th, 2003 11:21 PM

We have done it with a double stroller. We had the Graco one behind the other and it worked fine. Yes, it was quite the workout on the hills but with all that food and wine...not such a bad thing.

All I can say is the bigger wheels, the better.