Reload this Page >

EuropeCar rental car: Available Choices in France

Old Aug 24th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi-

We've reserved a car from Kemwel and they've made our arrangements through EuropeCar.

Our questions:

1. Kemwel says Intermediate Car, on our voucher, which indicates the Renault Laguna size. Europecar says that the Laguna is one step up, not Intermediate. Am I entitled to the Laguna Class as indicated on my Voucher?

2. Here are the choices of cars for the two levels. We prefer a diesel (Kemwel indicated this on voucher), so any thoughts on availability by car type is appreciated too. Please give me your thoughts on which is the better vehicle, we'll be driving A LOT on this trip and we're both over 6 foot tall.

VW Passat
Laguna II
Laguna II Break (Wagon)
Volvo V40
Peugeot 406

or

Renault Scénic
Mercedes Classe A
Volkswagen Bora

Thanks!

Old Aug 24th, 2003, 08:27 AM
MGB

Check out the Laguna and the Scenic on two websites that lease renaults. They are www.renaultusa.com and www.ideamerge.com. They give seating configurations on the various renault models including dimensions. The scenic does sit higher and has a built in cooler in either the glove box or the console (I am told it holds up to 3 bottles of water/beverage). We are leasing a scenic next month so I will know better after. Peugeot also has a lease web site so if you check it out you may be able to compare and figure out which one sits you best.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 01:23 PM

VW Bora = VW Jetta in the US. The Scenic is a mini van style vehicle but still fairly small. I would go with the larger Laguna/Passat /Peugeot category personally unless you dont mind a smallish car.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 01:46 PM

If Kemwel offered you a Renault Laguna size car at a certain price, you are entitled to a Renault Laguna car at that price--they have a contract with you. You need to contact Kemwel and tell them that Europecar says they disagree with Kemwel. Kemwel should either pay the difference to Europecar for you, or they should give you some money back if you end up with a smaller car.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 04:29 PM
MGB

From what we saw on the internet, the scenic is a cross between a small size SUV and a station wagon. The ones I saw did not have sliding doors but the regular 4 doors and it sat higher like an SUV.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I'm still interested in whether anyone knows about the availability of Diesels with these car choices and (if so) which car they prefer.

For example, if both the Laguna and Passat are offered as diesels at EuropeCar, which did you prefer.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 11:20 AM

We were upgraded to a Scenic diesel this winter in Spain. It was a great rental car with lots and lots of room. There were just 2 of us, but we thought it would have been just the ticket for 4 or 5 people travelling together. the mileage was incredible and it did a great job manuvering through Spain which has some of the narrowest streets I've seen in any European country.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 03:47 PM

Rippowan, I drive a VW Passat here at home and love it. It has a comfortable ride, good on highways, and a LARGE trunk. Should be a great car to drive in France.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 10:26 PM

Hi

All these are available as diesel or petrol in France.

Your rental company may still not have all options with diesel.

As for choice the Peugot 406 is an old car, but remains a fine drive and is slightly larger than the others. The HDI diesel is quiet and economic.

You can read about these cars (in English) here : http://www.whatcar.co.uk

Peter
Languedoc, France
http://tlp.netfirms.com