9 days Switzerland trip with 2 kids

Feb 9th, 2018, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

9 days Switzerland trip with 2 kids

Hello All,

We are so excited about our upcoming trip and we need your help in planning. We are a family of 4, kids aged 6 and 3.
Arrive in Zurich on June 4 at 9 AM
1) Take train / car to Luzern. Stay in Luzern until June 6. ( OR Take train to Wengen and stay until June 8th and come back to Luzern for 2 days?)
2) June 6th afternoon - take train to Wengen - stay until 10th
3) Spend a day / sleep in a farmhouse on 10th
4) For 11 & 12th - Should we go to Montreux or Bern?
5) 12th night, go back to Zurich

We are looking for authentic Switzerland experience that kids would enjoy as well. Kids are excited about visiting a chocloate factory & cheese factory. In Wengen we are planning to stay in a Hotel. Luzern and other places, we are open to Air BnB or similar. If it's air bnb, I may have to rent the car.

Can you please help us plan. Many thanks!!
Feb 9th, 2018, 01:58 PM

Go by train - the Swiss railway system is fantastic and it will make the holiday more relaxing for the driver/s. Check out the rail passes - there is one which will give free travel for children and some allow free entry to museums etc.

There is an open air museum near Interlaken which the children would enjoy - sorry I can't give you more information but I'm sure someone will know the details.
Feb 9th, 2018, 05:37 PM
kja

Another vote for the train!

I believe the park that marg mentioned might be the Bellenberg Open Air Museum:
https://www.ballenberg.ch/en/
which is actually outside of Brienz -- you can reach it by taking a lovely boat ride from Interlaken and then a shuttle to the park itself.

If your children are excited about visiting a chocolate factory and cheese factory, then I would think Montreux or near there would make more sense than Bern. There's a chocolate factory -- Maison Cailler -- in Broc, near Gruyere.
https://cailler.ch/en/maison-cailler...aterie-suisse/

Hope that helps!
Feb 9th, 2018, 07:44 PM
twk

Originally Posted by wengen View Post
Hello All,

We are so excited about our upcoming trip and we need your help in planning. We are a family of 4, kids aged 6 and 3.
Arrive in Zurich on June 4 at 9 AM
1) Take train / car to Luzern. Stay in Luzern until June 6. ( OR Take train to Wengen and stay until June 8th and come back to Luzern for 2 days?)
2) June 6th afternoon - take train to Wengen - stay until 10th
3) Spend a day / sleep in a farmhouse on 10th
4) For 11 & 12th - Should we go to Montreux or Bern?
5) 12th night, go back to Zurich

We are looking for authentic Switzerland experience that kids would enjoy as well. Kids are excited about visiting a chocloate factory & cheese factory. In Wengen we are planning to stay in a Hotel. Luzern and other places, we are open to Air BnB or similar. If it's air bnb, I may have to rent the car.

Can you please help us plan. Many thanks!!
I think if I were doing it, I think I would go straight to Wengen, perhaps spend four nights there--you can use one day to see the Ballenburg museum--then go to Montreux for perhaps 3 nights--you can take a day to see Maison Callier and Gruyeres, which would be good for kids--then go from Montreux to Luzern and spend your remaining nights there. As long as your flight out of Zurich isn't too early, you can spend your last night there and take the train to the Zurich airport. If you have to spend your last night in Zurich, you could shave a night off Montreux or Wengen.
Feb 9th, 2018, 08:41 PM

If you are in to gorgeous mountain scenery, don't miss Wengen and spend the 4 nights there if you can. Great lift right in the village. As I recall there was a playground right by the lift, was there this July. Nice small village and nearby villages easily accessible by the Swiss train that runs right to the village. You must go up the lift in Wengen to the Mannlichen ( sp) gorgeous plateau with the Jungfrau and Monch over the village , and Eiger side of it. Zurich is about 4 hrs away by train and we spent the last night there to fly back out from Zurich. COOP grocery in Wengen near train station. sue
Feb 10th, 2018, 02:56 AM

If you go to Montreux, your kids may be interested in
https://www.swissvapeur.ch/en/pictures-videos/
Page d'accueil AquaParc EN | Aqua Parc
both at Bouveret, a village which can be reached by boat from Montreux.

The visit of the tiny medieval city of Gruyeres with castle, cheese diary, Giger Museum etc. and the chocolate factory at nearby Broc takes almost a full day.
You may also consider to spend 2 nights at Chateau d'Oex (between Spiez and Montreux) and to do day trips from there to Gruyeres-Broc and to Montreux - Chillon Castle - Le Bouveret.
Feb 10th, 2018, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

I was taking to my wife and she wants to spend 4 days in Wengen towards the end of the trip before flying out of Zurich on 14th afternoon. Another confusion is should we head to Montreux or Engadin valley? If we were to spend 3 days in either of those two places, where should our base be? Also any recommendation for farmhouse stay and if so, where should we plan.

Many thanks!
Feb 10th, 2018, 07:51 AM
kja

The Engadine is, IMO, extraordinary -- but with your children's interests, I'd aim for Montreux / Gruyeres. No bad choices, though, just difficult ones....
Feb 10th, 2018, 09:55 AM

Upper Engadine means mountain lakes, glaciers of easy access by gondola, hiking trails. Stay there AT LEAST 3 FULL DAYS or forget it. The things to do at Wengen are quite similar, with the exception that it's more expensive or more strenuous to reach glaciers from there.
The journey from ZRH to Upper Engadin takes 4 hrs, you would arrive June 4th at 2pm and try to recover from jetlag. Stay then June 5th - 7th in the Upper Engadine. Leave June 8th by Glacier Express to Brig and then to Wengen. Arrival in late afternoon.
June 9th - 11th: Wengen. June 12th in the morning to Lucerne and in the evening to ZRH.
Feb 10th, 2018, 10:46 AM

Yeh agree with kja - one Alpine area and Montreux - where you got the Chocolate Train (or local trains over same route) to Broc Callier Chocolate Factory -swimming in lake - Castle Chillon - I'd do Wengen and Montreux - Engadine is awesome too but much longer from Montreux if you chose that. Between Interlaken and Montreux take the scenic Golden Pass train. Certainly look into a Swiss Pass - child gets free Family Pass where they never pay a franc for anything a parent pays for or has a pass for.
Feb 10th, 2018, 08:14 PM

Hi again, just a suggestion, when traveling by train with children, travel light with luggage, probably best small wheeled. Also I was on a train from Wengen, when a group of 3 yr olds from some hotel in Wengen, or perhaps several hotels, were on a day outing for a picnic and on some little lake cruise with chapperones. Each child had a small back pak that they wore, very responsibly with their needs for the day. I don't know if you could get info on this, but it seemed to be some activity to give the parents some free time. We sat with some of the children on the train, and they were all so very well behaved, and maybe a little bit intimidated by being away from parents and on a train, but watched over very carefully. You might ask your hotel if they know about this program. I thought the back pak idea was excellent. Sue
Feb 10th, 2018, 09:07 PM
kja

IME, children of any age, when on an organized outing in Switzerland, wore little back packs.

Search this Thread