Search

Berner Oberland Regional Pass on days arriving and leaving Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2019, 03:51 PM
csf
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berner Oberland Regional Pass on days arriving and leaving Switzerland

In September, my husband and I will be traveling by train from Paris to Wengen on a Saturday to stay for 7 nights and then going to Stresa, Italy. It will be our second time to visit Wengen. My current plan is to buy train tickets from Paris to Bern and from Brig to Stresa as soon as they become available and use an 8-day BO Pass for Bern to Wengen on arrival and again from Wengen to Brig on departure. Although prices for September aren't available yet, looking a few months out it appears that the cost difference between the 6-day and 8-day BO Pass will more than pay for the difference in fares. My question is regarding the logistics for this plan. If we take the early train from Paris that requires a change only in Basel, I may not have time to run into a station to buy the BO Passes. It does look like they can be ordered in advance online. Or is there a better way? Also, if we have seat assignments on the segments I purchase separately, would we likely be able to stay in those seats or have to move? Do we need to be concerned about availability of seats on those trains where we're using the BO Pass? We're currently considering going in first-class, if that matters, since the early purchase price doesn't look like it will be that much more. We understand that a first-class BO Pass has limited opportunities for use up in the mountains, but we would like to have that option for the boat and train rides where it's available (especially for rainy day excursions to other cities). Any other questions I should be asking? Thanks in advance for any advice. I've found this forum indispensable in planning my travels.
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 09:06 AM

The Regional Pass Bernese Oberland is available for 3, 4, 6, 8 or 10 days within the period from April 20th to October 31st 2019.
It costs 310 CHF (2nd class) resp 372 CHF (1st class) for 6 days and 350 resp 420 CHF for 8 days.

If you get a highly discounted Paris - Switzerland ticket, the price difference between Paris - Berne and Paris - Interlaken will be about 10 EUR (in 2nd class)
Interlaken - Wengen costs 13 EUR/OW, full fare (2nd class).

Please note that between Spiez and Brig, the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland is valid via the old Loetschberg line only. This line climbs up to 4000ft and is much more scenic than the new line which crosses the Bernese alps in a 20 miles long tunnel. But in order to proceed to Stresa, you will have to change trains at either Brig or Domodossola (both small stations). The direct trains Bern - Spiez - Stresa run all through the new tunnel.

There is no need to book the Brig - Stresa ticket long ahead. There are even connections where you don't need any reservation at all (if you go on from Domodossola by regional train instead of Intercity). The Brig - Stresa ticket can be got at any Swiss railway station.

As to the Bernese Oberland Pass, you best book it in the web. Alternatively, you could buy it at Basel or Bern railway station, but only during the opening hours of the ticket window (not at the ticket machine).

Seat reservaton is NOT compulsory in Swiss domestic trains. Therefore, you will have no problem for your Basel - Interlaken or Interlaken - Old Loetschberg line - Brig/Domodossola legs.
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 09:11 AM

With that little difference between 1st and 2nd class on BOB Pass go for first class - if taking boats you need first class to sit in open-air upfront of boat areas and easier to find empty seats on trains - for lots on Swiss trains check www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.sbb.ch; www.seat61.com - expert tips nearly as good as neckverd's (who is a Swiss resident so take her/his advice as gospel) on discounted fares like from Interlaken to Stresa, etc; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 09:37 AM
csf
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. That's very helpful! I was looking at the Loetschberg line for that leg and am glad to hear you recommend it.