Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   9 days in turkey (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/9-days-in-turkey-1007833/)

julebarbara Mar 7th, 2014 06:25 PM

9 days in turkey

How best to divide the days between Istanbul, and Cappadocia and Antalya .
Also if my flight from NY connects through to Antalya , is there a direct flight to Cappadocia
Or must one go by bus?
Thanks for any help.

kja Mar 7th, 2014 07:40 PM

It really depends on your interests, but with only 9 days, you might want to consider any TWO of Istanbul, Cappadocia, and Antalya.

otherchelebi Mar 8th, 2014 01:15 AM

Flights between Antalya and Cappadocia (Kayseri or Nevsehir) are scheduled during the tourism season. Check the web sites of Pegasus and Sunexpress airlines for your dates.

alison Mar 8th, 2014 01:55 PM

Anadolu airlines flies five days a week nonstop between nevshehir and Antalya.

alison Mar 8th, 2014 01:57 PM

Whoops. Forgot to mention the nonstop flights begin April 30 on Anadolu airlines. The other airlines also offer infrequent nonstop flights, mostly late at night. I agree you should pick two places if only have nine days.

Esme_Travels Mar 10th, 2014 04:51 PM

I found two days in Cappadocia sufficient. If I had had a hiking companion, would have wanted three days.

kja Mar 10th, 2014 10:01 PM

Hmm... I spent 4 very happily busy days in Cappadocia. Although I am a solo female traveler, that time included 2 hikes: something over 5 hours from the Deverent Valley to Goreme and about 5 hours in the Ihlara Valley. (Both had enough other hikers when I was there -- in May -- that I wasn't worried about being alone.) I also spent about an hour walking in the much less touristed Soganli Valley.

I spent about 4.5 days on the southern coast, moving from Antalya to Kas. There is a LOT on that coast that I skipped and would like to see.

I spent 5 full days in Istanbul, and my wish-list for that magnificent city remains incredibly long.

FWIW, remember that Istanbul has an international airport and is thus the easiest of these destinations to reach. Whenever I am particularly pressed for time, I consider "shortchanging" the city/cities that I can reach most easily in the future. Just a thought.

Hope that helps!

asafemre Aug 21st, 2015 03:32 AM

Turkish airlines flies to Cappadocia. You can fly from NY to Cappadocia via Istanbul. No need bus.
I would spend 3 days in Istanbul, 4 days in Antalya, 2 days in Cappadocia.

kja Aug 21st, 2015 06:34 PM

If you want to take a ride along the Bosphorus, consider just taking local transportation. It's very convenient, gives you more options, and is FAR less costly.

xyz99 Aug 22nd, 2015 02:03 PM

As most times, I agree with kja. With only 9 days, it's probably better to pick only 2 destinations.
We spent 3 1/2 days in Cappadocia, 4 full days in Istanbul and 5 full days on the southern Coast, and in all these places we wished we had stayed longer.
There are direct flights in the summer, but some are not daily. Decide where you want to go, what you want to see, then see what transportation options you have. You might have to adjust the order you are seeing these places based on the flights availability.
Start with the farthest away place (the 1st day is for travel anyway, and you're already tired), and try to fly into one city and leave from another one, to minimize back tracking.

kja Aug 22nd, 2015 03:44 PM

@ xyz: :-)