Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

9 Days in Switzerland - Hotel Recommendations

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Ben

Help us!! My wife and I are visiting Switzerland in July 2002. We've never been to Europe before. Based on a previous post and the fact that we're flying into and out of Zurich, we've tentatively/finally decided on the following itinerary:
-- Day 1: Drive from Zurich to Interlaken
-- Day 2: Day trip to Grindelwald, Wengen and Murren.
-- Day 3: Drive to Lucarno/Lugano/Morecote
-- Day 4: Day trips around Lugano
-- Day 5: Drive around Lake Como through Italy and back up towards Silvaplana with a stop at Soglio.
-- Day 6: Day trip around Silvaplana/St. Moritz
-- Day 7: Drive to Appenzell
-- Day 8: Drive to Baden
-- Day 9: Fly back home out of Zurich.

We're renting a car to get around - hoping that this gives us some flexibility.

We need help with hotel suggestions and day trip suggestions.

First - is this too much to squeeze into 9 days? We really envision some lazy drives between the various destinations stopping as we go - we really do want this to be a vacation. We scheduled 5 destinations feeling that if we scheduled any less, we'd be missing something. But is this too much?

Second - we need help with hotels. We're looking for nice places to stay. A good mixture of night life at some places offset with some quiet times at others. We're looking to spend around $200 U.S. dollars a night. Our anniversary is while we're in the Lucarno/Lugano area - so we'd prefer a nicer, more romantic hotel while there.

Looking at other postings, people have suggested that we stay in Morecote while around Lugano. We hear Soglio is phenomenal while around Silvaplana and St. Moritz.

We really need help all around with hotels. Places and suggestions. I've done some research, but I have no idea what kind of places these are, where they're situated, if some place better is two blocks away.

We're going to have a fantastic time regardless. But if anyone can help, we'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance... Ben

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 09:54 AM

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 11:14 AM
x

I haven't traveled around switzerland all that much, just done some planning, and it sounds to me that you're doing quite a bit of wandering to be able to get the quiet vacation you want. Have you established what the drive times are? The other thing is that if you take the trains, then both of you are able to enjoy the sceneary or read and relax. Plus if you're doing hikes (Wengen & Murren) won't you be a little tired for a 2-3 hour drive the next day??

Just my thoughts Happy planning

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Ingo

First – this itinerary is doable. It is not too much driving between your destinations. I guess you will get a very good first impression of almost all the tourist regions in Switzerland. Of course the time will not be enough to see everything.

1. Accommodation: Your price range should allow you to find very good hotels.

I recommend to avoid Interlaken. It is crowded and does not offer the stunning views like Murren, Wengen or Grindelwald. If you want to enjoy some nightlife you should go to Grindelwald. My hotel suggestion is Romantik Hotel Schweizerhof. www.hotel-schweizerhof.com Take notice that the prices include breakfast and dinner. I am not sure if they will accept stays of only 2 nights. If Wengen would be your choice I recommend Hotel Regina. www.wengen.com/hotel/regina

My first ideas on the stay for your anniversary are:

Hotel Al Porto, Ascona, www.alporto-hotel.ch
Romantik Hotel Castello Seeschloss, Ascona, www.castello-seeschloss.ch

Both are romantic and right on the lake promenade in Ascona, a small, beautiful and sometimes crowded village next to Locarno. Al Porto is a very good 3star hotel at reasonable prices. Castello Seeschloss is a small former castle. It seems to be a little too expensive and I am not sure if it is worth the money (Al Porto definitely IS).

In the Engadine valley I can recommend several hotels:

You should check if the 5star Hotel Waldhaus in Sils (www.waldhaus-sils.ch) is in your price range. An absolutely outstanding old-world style hotel with perfect service in unique location.

In Silvaplana the hotel Landgasthof Bellavista is a good choice. www.bellavista.ch

Pontresina has a couple of good hotels. My suggestion is Hotel Saratz (4star), www.saratz.ch Unfortunately they have no English website. My favourite 3star is Hotel Albris, a familiar, charming hotel. Their food is delicious! www.albris.ch It is unbelievable, they don’t have an English website, too. You might want to contact me per email for a translation, if you are interested.

Of course Soglio is phenomenal. The hotel Palazzo Salis is indeed a very charming and quiet place. I am not sure if it is the right place you are looking for to stay, though. It is VERY quiet in the evening and Sils or Pontresina are better places for a trip on the next day.

I am not an expert on Appenzell/Baden. But Ursula or others will be able to help you out.

Ingo

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Ingo

The message is too long so this is part II

2. Day trips:
In the Bernese Oberland region you should do the trip to Jungfraujoch. Even in July when it is (usually) very warm it is a nice experience to see some snow and walk on the glacier. The views are, of course, stunning.

The most scenic route from Bernese Oberland to Ascona/Locarno is in my opinion via Grimsel pass and Nufenen pass. It will take you about 3 or 4 hours driving time. Plus the time to enjoy the views, taking pictures, having a lunch etc.

Your day trip around Ascona/Locarno should include a boat trip to the Brissago Islands or Borromean Islands (Italy). Maybe you still have the time to visit the church of the convent Santa Maria del Sasso above Locarno (accessible by funicular, car or walking). Ascona itself is a very charming village (although quite touristy). Just enjoy walking around in the evening!

On your way to the Engadine you should have a look at the picturesque village Gandria right before entering Italy. Gandria or Menaggio/Lake Como are good places to have lunch. Soglio is definitely a must – have a coffee in the garden of Hotel Palazzo Salis at least.

A fantastic day trip from the Engadine is the Bernina Express train ride to Tirano/Italy. Don’t miss to have a stop to see Poschiavo. You can take the next train back to the Engadine. OR, if you want to do an easy hiking tour: Take the funicular from Punt Muragl to Muottas Muragl, hike (2:30 or 3 hours, it is more a walk) to Alp Languard and take the chair lift down to Pontresina. On the way you will pass the mountain restaurants Unterer Schafberg and Alp Languard. This hike offers probably the most panoramic view of the whole Engadine: The lakes and the glaciers.

From the Engadine to Appenzell I recommend to drive via Albula pass (avoid the Julier pass, crowds) or to pay a short visit to the little picturesque village Guarda in the lower Engadine and drive via Fluela pass, Davos, Landquart to Appenzell.

This should be enough so far. If you have questions feel free to email me or post again on Fodors.

Ingo

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 02:34 PM
jw

Wow, Ingo, that plan sounds so terrific that it almost makes me want to get behind the wheel of a car. I said almost. Ben, you'll love it; do whatever Ingo says. Did she say stop in Gandria for lunch? That's where I had the rigatoni with gorgonzola or was it penne with gorgonzola? Memorable.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 02:55 PM
meredith

Ben- if you are going to Switzerland, I am begging you, pleading with you....go to Gimmelwald (it is just near Grindelwald and Murren)....and stay at charming Walter Mittaghorn's Heidi-esque mountaintop lodge, where the food is delicious, the air is crisp and you get the best sleep since when you were in your mommy's tummy. When you go out on a hike, you will feel like Heidi or a Von Trapp family member ( and you might even involuntarily break into a rendition of "Doe a Deer" because you'll be in a state of such elation!) I kid you not....it is the most pristine place I have ever seen or been to in my life. No trip to Switzerland would be complete without going there. It is not a very touristy place, but you should find info about it from Rick Steves's resources.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:19 AM
Helen

Yes, it is doable.
My recommendations:
Zurich - Widder Hotel (a must- this is above your price range, but worth it... it's excellent... just do it! Their food is great too)
Como - for an unforgettable dinner, go to Trattoria del Porto. It's very small, but very romantic. Antonio Zambra is the owner. It's in Careno, south of Bellagio (be aware, we drove by it twice, so watch the signs!) their tel. # is 031 910 195. It's right along the lake, there a very old, tiny chapel on their property (ask for a tour), and the menu is determined by the chef (ie. what's fresh from the lake/forest that day). You really shouldn't pass up on this opportunity. It really is a hidden little treasure. Have a wonderful trip!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:55 PM
Heidi

Stop using my name.....

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:59 AM
Ben

Ingo/jw/meredith/helen - Thanks for all the help. Your recommendations will go a LONG way in making our visit so much more enjoyable!!

We're so excited!! Let me go through these suggestions - I'm off to New Orleans this afternoon. If I have any questions - and I'm sure I will, I'll drop you guys a note.

THANKS AGAIN!!! I truly appreciate all of your help.

Ben

Old May 19th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Carolyn

I second the recommendation to stay at the Waldhaus Hotel in Sils by St. Moritz. Amazing lobby and wonderful service. Great old hotel. Also, the price of a room includes the lifts in the area which really makes the price of the room worthwhile. We were able to take 2 the day we were there and would have done more but the weather turned bad. Really one of the most beautiful places we've been to. Hope you are able to see it as well -- happy anniversary!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:46 AM
hotelerie

For Zurich: if you don't mind the price, and you want something really trendy, stay at the Hotel Widder. Don't know what the service and atmosphere is like, but at least you'll know you've stayed where the trendy-set can be found...

For Silvaplana/St. Moritz area: the Hotel Waldhaus in Sils Maria is spectacular, as will be the price - unless you get some sort of special offer. Also, its a "big" hotel. But Sils Maria is a very quaint old town and you'll have opportunities to take a scenic walk or horsedrawn carriage ride, for instance in the Val Fex (Fex Valley) just outside the village. Silvaplana is pretty non-descript as a village, St. Moritz is just too "big" - alternatively try Pontresina, an old town with a sporty feel and a great hotel "La Collina", stay in the 4-star part, wonderful more personal service, smaller, has wood/chalet style rooms on 3rd and 4th floor (avoid the Hotel Saratz - looks trendy but restaurant service was poor); and, for the Grindelwald/Wengen area, stay in Wengen - village has no cars, and at the Hotel Caprice - last time I knew it has chalet-style rooms - you can get a room with a Jungfraublick (view to the Jungfrau mountain). If you want more action and bigger village, then stay in Grindelwald, but I found Wengen to be more "alpine"...

For hotels in the Tessin/Italian area, if you want something 4 to 5 star, try the Esplanade (Locarno), Orselina (Locarno), Castello del Sole (Ascona), and Albergo Giardino (Ascona).

For your itinerary, it's probably too much. Try staying just in the Tessin/Italian area and in the Graubunden area (Pontresina/Sils Maria etc.). Or, just Tessin and Berner Oberland (Wengen). Why be constantly on the move?? Anyway, have fun!