Search

9 days in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2019, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9 days in Italy

Hi all,

My wife and I will be visiting Italy for 9 days in mid- May. This is our first time and we are looking for recommendations about cities to visit. Currently we are considering 3 cities- Venice, Florence and Rome but we are open to suggestions. We like history, architecture, museums, art and good food. We will likely arrive in Venice in the early afternoon on the 12th and we will have to leave Italy on the 20th likely from Rome (if we end up picking Venice and Rome). Does this sound reasonable? Is there room for another city or is it going to be too much? We will likely use the train to travel between cities.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 09:35 PM
kja

You can certainly visit all 3 of these magnificent cities in 9 days; whether you can see them in the way that you want to is another question entirely. For me, that would be far too rushed, but it really depends on what you want to see and experience. I recommend that you identify the things you most want to do in each city, check their opening hours on the internet, and then plot them out on a calendar. Also mark time to get from city to city, including not only your actual transit time (you can estimate it with rome2rio.com) and also a few hours to either side to pack / unpack, get to / from your hotel, check in / out, get lost / oriented, etc. Only then can you decide whether trying to visit all 3 of these cities in the time you have will work for you.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time no matter what you decide!
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 03:31 AM

If your arrival and departure dates/times are correct as stated, you actually have only 7 days - the day you arrive in Venice will be a wash, as you'll be getting settled. Maybe you'll have the evening to get acclimated and look around, but if you're arriving from overseas, you could be a zombie. The 20th is a lost day because you're packing up and leaving.

IMO, 7 days would not be enough time to do justice to three of Italy's great cities. Subtract the time it's going to take you to travel between cities, unpack, and settle in and get oriented, and you're down to about 5.5-6 days on the ground. Certainly don't consider adding a destination - you're already planning a super-fast-paced trip.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 03:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have chosen the almost standard first time visit to Italy trio. There are good reasons for this, they are each great in their own way, but that means more people go there. So you have to decide you don't mind this as a holiday.

I would not add anything but I might look at some alternatives. For example, what are your real interests? Is visiting Roman remains and buildings very important to you, if so Rome has to stay in the mix. If not, I might drop it away. Is Renaissance art vital? If not Florence could go etc

I recommend the Rough Guide to Italy as a book, have a flick through before you book. Good luck, check out seat61.com to understand the trains.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StCirq
If your arrival and departure dates/times are correct as stated, you actually have only 7 days - the day you arrive in Venice will be a wash, as you'll be getting settled. Maybe you'll have the evening to get acclimated and look around, but if you're arriving from overseas, you could be a zombie. The 20th is a lost day because you're packing up and leaving.

IMO, 7 days would not be enough time to do justice to three of Italy's great cities. Subtract the time it's going to take you to travel between cities, unpack, and settle in and get oriented, and you're down to about 5.5-6 days on the ground. Certainly don't consider adding a destination - you're already planning a super-fast-paced trip.
As of right now, without any planning I envisioned arriving in Venice in the afternoon on the 12th and spending whatever is left of the afternoon + full day 13th and 14th. Then i was thinking to take a late train to Florence on the 14th and spend 15th and 16th there. Then take a late train to Rome on the 16th and spend 3.5 days there and take a late flight to London on the 20th. Our flight back to the US is on the 21st. This is just based on some opinions here that 2 days is sufficient time in Venice.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 10:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
With only 9 days arriving Venice and leaving from Rome, I would just do those two cities (skipping Florence and definitely not adding any more).

I strongly disagree that 2 days is plenty for Venice!!! Honestly I could easily spend a month in any of these cities and barely brush the surface.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 12:22 PM

Two days in Venice will give you just enough time to get hopelessly lost, unless you just hang out around San Marco, which isn't ideal. No time for the islands?

Envisioning is very different from being on the ground, but it's your trip, so do what you think will work out for you.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 01:33 PM

Yes but with just nine nights a couple of nights in Venice will give them an overview of town to come back to on future trips perhaps.

And stay in Florence 2-3 nights - maybe doing a day trip by bus to Tuscany's hill towns - like Siena about an hour by bus from Florence.

Then 4 nights or so in Rome with possible day trips.

Transfer by train time Venice-Florence-Rome is only about 4 hours total. So gives you most of the arrival day there.

Not ideal but If I went to Italy i'd do the big three world-famous cities.

Book train tickets early for deep discounts over full walk-up fare - www.trenitalia.com or www.italotreno.it/en - two competing train lines with own trains over same tracks to same stations. Take whatever is cheaper. www.seat61.com has lots on booking your own tickets online- general info trains BETS-European Rail Experts and www.pricksteves.com.

Last edited by PalenQ; Mar 28th, 2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PalenQ
Yes but with just nine nights a couple of nights in Venice will give them an overview of town to come back to on future trips perhaps.

And stay in Florence 2-3 nights - maybe doing a day trip by bus to Tuscany's hill towns - like Siena about an hour by bus from Florence.

Then 4 nights or so in Rome with possible day trips.

Transfer by train time Venice-Florence-Rome is only about 4 hours total. So gives you most of the arrival day there.

Not ideal but If I went to Italy i'd do the big three world-famous cities.

Book train tickets early for deep discounts over full walk-up fare - www.trenitalia.com or www.italotreno.it/en - two competing train lines with own trains over same tracks to same stations. Take whatever is cheaper. www.seat61.com has lots on booking your own tickets online- general info trains BETS-European Rail Experts and www.pricksteves.com.
Thanks for the train info. I was thinking to take late night trains so that we don't waste daylight and wake up comfortably in the new city ready for action. I feel that there's so much to see in Italy, so this won't be our last visit for sure. Is it better to do a day trip to Tuscany as you suggested or spend an extra day in Rome?
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 02:24 PM

I think the Tuscany trip would be better than a fifth day in Rome. And there are day trips from Rome you may consider for the 4th day - like metro to Ostia Antica, ruins of Rome's ancient port that is kind of comparable to Pompeii but less mobbed. A bus tour from Florence - a group tour - could take you to or thru several Tuscan hill towns - vs taking public bus to Siena or other hill town and back - Siena is one large hill town that can easily occupy a few day.

Though there may be a Venice-Rome night train it leaves real late I believe and arrives really early - Venice to Rome is now just 3.5 hours by high-speed day train so you are not on the train very much. I'm not even sure that overnight train exists.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 03:11 PM

3.5 hours on a train is not the full scenario. You've got to pack up, get to the train, figure out which track you're on and get to it, then repeat the exercise at the other end. So it's well more than half a day of traveling. I doubt you'll find "overnight trains," if that's what you're looking for. They are being phased out all over Europe. Even if they do still exist for the voyages you're contemplating, "wake up comfortably" isn't likely to be the reality. If early night train, do you want to arrive in a new city in darkness? And not be able to check into your next accommodation for hours?

Last edited by StCirq; Mar 28th, 2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 03:21 PM

StCirq is right about even with the shortest train journey like Florence to Rome in just over an hour - there is getting to the hotel - even by taxi could mean a wait for taxis and yes if hotels are closed certain hours a problem and unpacking and packing up - always takes a half day not matter how short the transfer.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 04:31 PM
kja

Originally Posted by cezar9
AThis is just based on some opinions here that 2 days is sufficient time in Venice.
Four days was not sufficient for my first visit! It really depends on what you want to see and experience.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 04:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>This is just based on some opinions here that 2 days is sufficient time in Venice.<<

And some (even one who has offered advice on this thread) think 3 days is plenty for London (laughing out loud).

Depends on what sort o travelers you are though. With your short time in country, I'd personally pick 2 of the cities -- any two will do but you really only have time for 2. If your flights are already booked in to Venice and out of London those two would make the most sense.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 05:07 PM

There are many short itineraries that are suggested in online guides, such as this two-day itinerary for Venice: Venice in 2 days This website has one and three day possibilities as well.

I have been to Venice many times, most for 2 or 3 days at a time, and all have worked for me. If it works for you, that’s all that matters.

You can easily find similar online suggestions for Florence and Rome. Simply google “x: days in….” . After that, do the same for “day trips from…..” PalenQ’s suggestions about some day trips (Siena, Ostia Antica) are spot on if you think you have the time.

Some feel “rushed” by brief visits; others can do a lot in a short period or even want to do little. Only you can determine your own travel style. Once you have explored these sites as a starting point, and then matched your interests, you can then drill down on further websites that will provide more up-to-date info (hours, tickets, food and lodging recommendations, etc.). Whatever you decide will provide great memories. There is a reason why Italy is the most desirable tourist destination in the world in one recent assessment.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 05:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Taking evening trains sounds like a time-efficient way to go, except that both Venice and Florence become much more pleasant places in the evening. Venice especially.

To StCirq's comments about the time involved, if taking evening trains you would need to check out of your hotel in the morning, hopefully leave you luggage there, and then would have to return to the hotel to retrieve the luggage before heading to the train station. Not a big deal if you stay near the train stations, but that wouldn't be my first choice in either city.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StCirq
3.5 hours on a train is not the full scenario. You've got to pack up, get to the train, figure out which track you're on and get to it, then repeat the exercise at the other end. So it's well more than half a day of traveling. I doubt you'll find "overnight trains," if that's what you're looking for. They are being phased out all over Europe. Even if they do still exist for the voyages you're contemplating, "wake up comfortably" isn't likely to be the reality. If early night train, do you want to arrive in a new city in darkness? And not be able to check into your next accommodation for hours?
i probably confused everyone when i said "late night train". I really meant leaving 8-9pm from Venice and Florence and arriving in Florence and Rome around 10-11pm respectively. Then quick cab to the hotel, check in, shower and go to bed by 11-ish which should allow us to wake up comfortably by 7am on the next day.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 05:24 PM
kja

Originally Posted by cezar9
i probably confused everyone when i said "late night train". I really meant leaving 8-9pm from Venice and Florence and arriving in Florence and Rome around 10-11pm respectively. Then quick cab to the hotel, check in, shower and go to bed by 11-ish which should allow us to wake up comfortably by 7am on the next day.
Well, aside from the fact that you would be missing times that can be particularly lovely in these cities, I'm not sure you can plan on getting to sleep by 11 if you don't plan to reach your destination until 10 or 11. You still need to get to your hotel, check in (hoping you notified them in advance of your late arrival), unpack at least enough for your nightly tasks, complete those nightly tasks, etc. -- and that doesn't count any time you need to get oriented before being able to see anything the next day. Maybe it would work for you. It would not work for me.

Last edited by kja; Mar 28th, 2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jean
Taking evening trains sounds like a time-efficient way to go, except that both Venice and Florence become much more pleasant places in the evening. Venice especially.

To StCirq's comments about the time involved, if taking evening trains you would need to check out of your hotel in the morning, hopefully leave you luggage there, and then would have to return to the hotel to retrieve the luggage before heading to the train station. Not a big deal if you stay near the train stations, but that wouldn't be my first choice in either city.
this is a valid point. I have to factor it into the equation. Still prefer to wake up in my destination city rested and ready to roll.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 05:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The last fast train from Venice to Florence leaves at 7:30p. Anything later will take twice as long and involve connections.

There are lots of late trains from Florence to Rome. If you skipped Florence, the last fast train from Venice to Rome is at 7:30p.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -