Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

9 Days in Europe, flying into Brussels and out of Munich (Suggestions)

Old Sep 21st, 2009, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trip is in early October.

My initial thought was 3 days in Belgium and 6 in Germany with being based in Brussels/Antwerp couple of day trip and then train to Cologne.

In Germany wanted to visit Berlin, a little of the Rhine and Munich.

I know 9 days is too little time but.. Love food and drink, so will be doing lots of beer drinking esp in Belgium, some culture whether architechture/building and also just walkign around and finding out more of history etc.

Shri
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 09:38 AM

going by train or car? Personally to cover the kind of ground you want (my style too) i'd hop the train - in cities like you are going to cars are useless and even a liability - pay extortionary rates to park - much of the city centers are off-limits, etc. And i'd look at the Benelux-Germany railpass too - provides complete flexibility to hop any train anytime in Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg and Germany - and Luxembourg is a great gateway to the Mosel and River rivers - the pass also is valid on K-D boats on the Rhine between Mainz and Koblenz - the classic part of the Rhine Gorge - for tons on trains in these countries and the pass i always mention these tremendously info-packed sites: www.seat61.com; http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id9.html; www.ricksteves.com. For K-D boat schedules - www.k-d.com.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Definitely by train, if needed might rent a car for a couple of days. The Benelux pass seemed a bit expensive but maybe a good deal overall.

S
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 09:40 PM

heck out Easyjey from Brussels-Berlin and get the car in Germany.
flight for 10/1=49Euros, for 10/6= 33 Euros.
check out whichbudget.com for fares. Good luck and have fun.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 07:42 AM

those passes become cheaper the more days you buy on them - the way they are formulated. If you want total flexibility then the pass will save you tons - if say you want to just hop any train anytime - check www.bahn.de - the German rail site for full fare tickets - but if you want to go the non-changeable non-refundable route and lock yourself in weeks in advance then you can get the 29 or 39 euro fares online - but act quickly as they do sell out their allowed numbers sold. I like flexibility to just get up and head to the station and hop the usually 2 or 3 trains an hour to my destination - but others may not care about flexibility - but the more days you travel the cheaper the pass so after a certain number of days event he 29-39 euro fares will not save much over the pass, which is not sold in Europe to my knowledge.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 07:57 AM
yk

Sorry, but 6 days to visit Rhine, Munich AND Berlin is a bit ambitious. You will easily be spending 2-3 days out of your 6 days just traveling from place to place.

Even on the ICE train, Berlin -> Munich is close to 6 hours.

I'd skip Berlin on this trip, and focus your time in Rhine/Mosel valley (easily take up 2-3 days), and the rest of time in Munich. You can do a day trip out of Munich either to the Romantic Road or the Ludwig's castle.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:20 AM

yk makes sense to me - and Berlin is so huge and has so many disparate yet spell-binding sights that you'd need 3-4 days there to appreciate it. Munich is much more manageable IME and a day on the Rhine is enough for most.